Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Doin Work
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO this issue started this season and it only does it once in a while.

The bike is a 03 R6 (obviously) and the only thing done to it from a "performance" stand point is I have a 06+ shorty exhaust on it(put on last summer). Once I put the shorty on it smelled like it was running rich, which is to be expected i guess.

Now the bike will sometimes die when I come to a stop or idle super low. It seems to do it more if I do not let the bike warm up real well, but yesterday it warmed up for a good 5-8 min and I went riding with no issues (mainly highway at this time) I get in to downtown STL and when I am slowing down I can tell it is going to start with this dieing thing. It just sounds different on decel and the exhaust pops or backfires alot more. Well sure enough it wont stay idle and I have to keep the RPMs up to keep her going (PITA!!) It does not always do this and sometimes it will get over the issue on its own.
I was going to take a vid of it, but of course I get it in to the garage and it runs perfect after dieing on me a million times before that.

Anyway any thoughts on what the problem is and how I fix it? Is it a tune issue I assume, but if thats the case do I need a powercommander or can I get the computer flashed? Sorry I deal with cars most of the time so tunning bikes is pretty new to me.

Thanks for any help guys.

-Lee

·
Banned
7,324 Posts
lee, the smell isn't the bike running rich, you removed the converter in the stock exhaust. you are smelling the exhaust fumes.
it's Fuel injected, the air fuel ratio can't really change enough to make it run bad.

what is the idle rpm when warm? if it's below 1200 or so turn it up. i like to keep mine right around 1500.
if it still doesn't like to idle, you should have someone synchronize the throttle bodies.
the 03-05 had issues with the throttle position sensor. and it would basically make the bike stall out randomly sort of like yours does. cleaning them sometimes works but the problem is the contacts are shorting out inside. ultimately buying a new one is the real fix.

·
Doin Work
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wasn't sure if these were more like cars in that the computer takes info from the 02 at the cat or other places, (which in this case is non existent) and adjusts the air/fuel accordingly and when its not present would run like shit unless tuned for it, but I do see what you are saying.

Ill check my idle next time I ride. how hard is it to replace the TPS? and how hard is it to sync the TBs?

oh and this might be retarded but how do I adjust the idle? Fuel injected cars have to be tuned by the computer for that, but so far my knowledge of cars is only moderately paying off in the bike world:rolleyes:

·
Banned
7,324 Posts
the 03-05 R6 you can adjust the idle.
if you have the owners manual it shows you how.

look just above the oil fill plug on the clutch cover. there is a large gold colored screw you can turn with your fingers or with a philips screw driver. clockwise will raise the throttle. you might have to open the throttle with the grip to get it to raise.

the tps is a little more complicated but not too bad. on the throttle side of your bike, if you remove the black plastic center cover on the frame you can see the tps. it has special screws (torx bit with a stud in the center) to remove it.
when you set it back on the bike it has to be in a certain position.
setting it is covered in the service manual. which you can download for free from the www.r6messagenet.com in the maintenance section.

yamaha has the owners manuals for free
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/service/viewmanuals/sport_manuals.aspx

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
dont know if this will help you, but i figure id post it anyway.
I have a thread on here about my 03 r6 dying upon disengagement of clutch and a weird sputter that happens randomly and very bad when going over bumps. The bike used to just have like a dead spot in 3-5k rpm, then take off good past that, i changed plugs and bike began stalling once warmed up almost all the time, i replaced the tps, problems went away for a day or two then came right back to stalling sometimes when i disengage clutch. After hours upon hours of troubleshooting, i could not find the culprit, everything on the bike looks damn good, then last night i said **** it this is getting frustrating, so i went and rode the bike hard for like 30 min, got it really hot, got home and did not waste any time, took the bike apart, while hot, and pulled the coils, and i really really hope i found the culprit. Out of the 4 ignition coils one of them was showing that it had 0.00 resistance, when i pulled them still hot. Im in the process now of either buying 1 new coil from the dealer, if they will sell me just one, or i will buy 4 used of e-bay or somethin (atleast 1's gotta be good right?! haha) and i am certain this is gonna be it, there is nothing else to fix dammit.

edit: also my bike did have the coil recall done in November of 08, so these coils are not that old..

·
Sex and Bikes Go Together
1,222 Posts
dont know if this will help you, but i figure id post it anyway.
I have a thread on here about my 03 r6 dying upon disengagement of clutch and a weird sputter that happens randomly and very bad when going over bumps. The bike used to just have like a dead spot in 3-5k rpm, then take off good past that, i changed plugs and bike began stalling once warmed up almost all the time, i replaced the tps, problems went away for a day or two then came right back to stalling sometimes when i disengage clutch. After hours upon hours of troubleshooting, i could not find the culprit, everything on the bike looks damn good, then last night i said **** it this is getting frustrating, so i went and rode the bike hard for like 30 min, got it really hot, got home and did not waste any time, took the bike apart, while hot, and pulled the coils, and i really really hope i found the culprit. Out of the 4 ignition coils one of them was showing that it had 0.00 resistance, when i pulled them still hot. Im in the process now of either buying 1 new coil from the dealer, if they will sell me just one, or i will buy 4 used of e-bay or somethin (atleast 1's gotta be good right?! haha) and i am certain this is gonna be it, there is nothing else to fix dammit.

edit: also my bike did have the coil recall done in November of 08, so these coils are not that old..
:stupic
What he said mine didnt have a coil recall and it would only show up after the bike was hot. Randomly cut off idle like shit....ya know the usual lol

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
yea i went ahead a grabbed me a set of 4 used for 35$ shipped, cant really beat that. If this fixes my problem ill let you know ill sell you 2 of these coils cheap if they are good, since i only really need 1, and 1 as backup.. lol

·
I am currently Killin'
6 Posts
I am currently having the same problem with my '03 R6... I took it to the shop and they told me they saw nothing wrong with the idle or it dying when i engaged the clutch.... I am glad to hear im not the only one with the exact same problem you guys are talkin about. I thought it was with my coils too so please post back with what happens so I can figure out how to fix my bike too its been doin this for a year almost and i have done practically everything to fix it just like you guys were sayin...

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Yea man since replacement of my coils my bike has a very noticeable gain in power, and sound, feels like a completely different bike to be honest. Had the coils in like 4 days or so now and not once has the bike sputtered or stalled out. it seems my coils, or 1 of them anyway, was PART of my problem, for sure the TPS is replaced had something to do with the sputtering also.

·
I am currently Killin'
6 Posts
I ams o glad to finally find out what the problem is.... im gonna take mine in to have the TPS and coils replaced now. My bike has been running like crap and i thought i was trippin because it was on and off with the problem and taking it to my shop they just said nothing was wrong and maybe i need a valve adjusment... thanks for the info you just saved me a ton info and now feel better knowing im not just trippin out when it happens....

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I ams o glad to finally find out what the problem is.... im gonna take mine in to have the TPS and coils replaced now. My bike has been running like crap and i thought i was trippin because it was on and off with the problem and taking it to my shop they just said nothing was wrong and maybe i need a valve adjusment... thanks for the info you just saved me a ton info and now feel better knowing im not just trippin out when it happens....
be sure to post on here if this does work for you as when i was doing research it seems this happened to a lot of people, and no definate answer was found. if it fixed both our bike we may be on to something..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.