Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you could go back in time to when you first started riding/racing and give yourself some advice, what would it be and why?

I'd tell myself to not ride like an idiot on the street and to take it to the tack even sooner. I'd also get some proper riding instruction much sooner than I did. I took the California Superbike School a few years after I started riding and even then had a hell of a time ridding myself of some serious bad habits.

I'd learn the proper skills FIRST, then work on going fast.

You?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I would second that......rode for 5 years on the road on 1000cc bikes without anywhere near the skill I needed before taking it to the track......had some terrifying near misses with cars....and have packed in road riding completely now.

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
Get a smaller displacement bike.

Get to the track way fcuking sooner.

Be patient about progress. There's no reason to feel bad if you don't smash your PR every trip to the track.

New tires are worth it.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would second that......rode for 5 years on the road on 1000cc bikes without anywhere near the skill I needed before taking it to the track......had some terrifying near misses with cars....and have packed in road riding completely now.
Do you strictly ride track days and/or race? What skills did you improve upon when you took it to the track?

Get a smaller displacement bike.

Get to the track way fcuking sooner.

Be patient about progress. There's no reason to feel bad if you don't smash your PR every trip to the track.

New tires are worth it.
Why do you wish you got to the track way sooner? Just for the giggles of it or because you were able to learn something more about your riding and improve in that environment?

What is the track able to teach us about riding that we can't, or don't learn on the street?

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
Do you strictly ride track days and/or race? What skills did you improve upon when you took it to the track?

Why do you wish you got to the track way sooner? Just for the giggles of it or because you were able to learn something more about your riding and improve in that environment?

What is the track able to teach us about riding that we can't, or don't learn on the street?
Because I'd be way better at racing if I had 10 more years of experience at it. :hammer

But yeah, bike control is vastly improved by riding as hard as you can at the track, versus piddling around on the street where you've got 100 other things to concentrate on besides you're inputs to the motorcycle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts