Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i was talking to a shop about installing my parts and they recommended an ignition adv. Any one have any input? My part list is in my sig? If so any idea a place to buy one and what kind? I've did some researched and got a basic idea of what they do, now the part about what brand or kind to get?

Thanks for any info or insight.

Thanks!

2,456 Posts
well since you already have a power commander the obvious choice would be theirs.. however unless u just dont care about money its alot of scrilla to be spending on something that might give you 2hp. absolute waste as far as i can see. but hey whatever u wanna do. its your money.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well since you already have a power commander the obvious choice would be theirs.. however unless u just dont care about money its alot of scrilla to be spending on something that might give you 2hp. absolute waste as far as i can see. but hey whatever u wanna do. its your money.
Is that the most effective one? Seems that one for dynojet is 300 bucks If a 50 buck one would work just as good i would rather do that.. haha

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
Bro, every little bit of power counts when you're wide open. :fact

And to the OP, I bet you'd see a larger all around gain from the slide stops. The ignition advancer is a sweet idea. I doubt you'll get it from factory pro tho. I have been trying for 2 seasons. They just aren't making them cause their tool and die guy is doing weapons parts for S&W now.

And regarding the list in your sig, I see a LOT of it isn't installed yet!? What's up with that?

·
crashing aint so bad
2,271 Posts
The slide stops are a waste of time. I had them and did not like them at all. Even after getting a full dyno tune they were still not right. The gain in power was not worth the loss in drive-ability.

The Dyno-Jet does not have an ignition advancer for our years of machine. They show that it will work for the PCIII, but it is only good for certain model bikes. Our bike uses a CDI ignition and it cannot be changed by the PCIII. The model to get is from Factory Pro. They have several different advancer options and they all work GREAT. I went with a + 6 Deg. and it works well. The +4 is the most common and will help a lot. Thew nice thing about the manual advancers is that no re-map is required on the bike to use them.

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
The slide stops are a waste of time. I had them and did not like them at all. Even after getting a full dyno tune they were still not right. The gain in power was not worth the loss in drive-ability.

The Dyno-Jet does not have an ignition advancer for our years of machine. They show that it will work for the PCIII, but it is only good for certain model bikes. Our bike uses a CDI ignition and it cannot be changed by the PCIII. The model to get is from Factory Pro. They have several different advancer options and they all work GREAT. I went with a + 6 Deg. and it works well. The +4 is the most common and will help a lot. Thew nice thing about the manual advancers is that no re-map is required on the bike to use them.
OP, if you find out Factory Pro has em in stock and for sale lemme know!! I haven't called in months, but I am on their "Waiting list" LOL

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
factory pro's website is about top 10 worst usable websites i've ever seen.. lol

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

what is the performance gain between +6 and +4? Or what is the advantages / disadvantages?

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
what is the performance gain between +6 and +4? Or what is the advantages / disadvantages?
Generally, you'll only see mostly an increase in throttle response, but the more ignition advance you run, the more HP you will make. The more you advance the ignition, the higher the octane fuel you must run to keep the bike from detonating (pre-ignition). Basically you are telling the ignition to fire the spark plug X amount of degrees before the piston reaches TDC. This forces the piston down much harder. Too much advance and you will get knocking or detonation, and/or a difficult motor to start. Like it's being held back.

With a +6, if you get bad gas, you could run into problems. And I dunno if a +6 is too much advance for pump gas or not. +4 is pretty common

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice info, ya +4 sounds good to me, I will call them and see what they say.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
called them up.. they had a +4 for my bike, i bought it and should be here next week.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
called them up.. they had a +4 for my bike, i bought it and should be here next week.
Awesome. I'll be sure to call when I finally scrape some loot together. Lol

I always run 93 which is the most they offer at ever gas station. Normally shell gas.. Is that high enough? for the +4?
I assume so. The dude at factory pro woulda told you if you needed race gas. With the 02 I wasn't worried at all cause that bike is made to run on regular. Lol

I've read of tons of people running nitrous on stock timing, so clearly there is a lot of wiggle room. If they can get away with that I wouldn't think twice about +4 on 93 octane.

·
crashing aint so bad
2,271 Posts
I can run 86 octane with the +6. On hotter ( 100 or so deg ) days I notice a slight drop in power or sluggish running as the bike is on the verge of Pre-detonation. I haven't had it actually ping yet though. I usually run 91 octane and I have never had a problem. The +4 will be great.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I can run 86 octane with the +6. On hotter ( 100 or so deg ) days I notice a slight drop in power or sluggish running as the bike is on the verge of Pre-detonation. I haven't had it actually ping yet though. I usually run 91 octane and I have never had a problem. The +4 will be great.
Cool, I should have it monday, I got a quote of 250 to dyno and tune the bike. And 380 to install all the parts.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts