Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here installed an ignition advancer or even know someone who has or even know if you can get one in the UK?

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
If you have a '99-'02, you can order one from Graves. Don't know how much shipping would be but I'd have to think that with the strength of the Euro, it's be pretty cheap. $52.00 USD and they have 5% off for online orders but it takes a while for them to respond to them. I submitted my order for Velocity Stacks about a week ago and just today they acknowledged reciept of my order and are sending them out tomorrow.

http://www.gravesport.com/engine_yamahaR6.html

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
What does this do??

Whatdo velocity stacks do??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
An ignition advancer does exactly what it says on the tin - it advances the ignition timing. This usually boosts low end and mid range power and smooths it out a bit. You're also supposed to get sharper throttle response.

It tends to boost partial throttle opening power. That's why the effects aren't always clear from a dyno run (full throttle, blast the nuts of your bike type situation).

I believe that there are two types available for the R6. A standard +4 degree ignition advancer and a fancy variable advancer that needs to be tuned. +4 might be a tad too much for this bike.

Also, they have been know to actually lower the peak power and obviously, huge advances can damage the engine.

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
jasamb said:
What do velocity stacks do??
Velocity stacks help to reduce turbulence and increase airflow into the engine. It should allow for more air to flow into the intake that without them creating more pressure and pushing more air/fuel into the engine there by giving more power. Of course, without an air filter and exhaust with a higher flow rate than stock, they're kind of useless. I ordered some from Graves that should be here this wek. Plus my Blue Flame 3D Silver Carbon slip on came yesterday and my BMC Race air filter should be here next week sometime. To bad it's to cold out to go test it with the mods going on. Hope to get a powercommander over the winter and then come spring time, a custom map for it.

You've probably seen them one custom choppers before ala.....

with the megaphone style billet piece being the V Stack..

one with an air filter....

these are what the Graves stacks look like inside the airbox......

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
So is this something you can just bolt on in place of the stock ones or slip over or inside the stock ones or do you need to dyno the bike to get them in the correct position..

The reason I ask is that I have my airbox off now and the carbs are right there. This seems like something I "might as well do" while the thing is apart.

Yea, or no??

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
now would be the time to do it but they are only for the FI bikes. And they just bolt in place on top of the throttle bodies and enter into the airbox to smooth out the airflow, especially at high speeds. Factory Pro makes V Stacks as well but I don't know if those are also only for FI bikes.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
What about, I think theyre called..."slide stops" or something like that???

Are those related to carburators.

**carbs are the only part of this bike that I do not fully understand, I mean I know how they work, but it is the one area that I have little experience with.**

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
again, they are for FI bikes only but this is what they do. Taken from Graves Website (http://www.gravesport.com/parts/slidestops.html)

Graves Motorsports Throttle Slide Stop Kit has been designed to hold the throttle slides in the fully open position while increasing fuel pressure in the injectors fuel rail. The outcome is improved throttle response and increased acceleration. The kit comes complete with comprehensive installation instructions and a selection of fuel maps for the Dynojet Power Commander, to suit your specific application. (Note the Graves Slide Stop kit must be used in conjunction with a Dynojet Power Commander.)

From the sounds of it, they just keep the throttles bodies open more at any given point on the rotation of the throttle than stock. But I'll email Graves and ask them more specifically how they work.

·
Registered
18 Posts
hello my friends i m new in this forum and i wish to ask anyone please where i can buy an ignition advancer for my yamaha r6 2000 model cause i can t find it anywhere every one is telling me they stopped the production of it could you help me and i m from malta buy the way

·
Registered
18 Posts
:party

Holy nine year bump party,

check factory pro they still make alot for the 1st gens
:lmao hi there thank you but i didn t find anywhere cause i checked with factory pro and they said no more production of that and i checked many sites and its not available maybe you know a site who has and my r6 has factory pro jets 1.0 /k and n filter / full system leo vince and i wanted to buy the advancer so it icrease more and i could give it a dyno

·
Registered
18 Posts
IDK who might have one unless its just sitting on the shelf collecting dust, did a cross reference search on the oem part number and it just lists the 1st gen R6's.

Weird factory pro says out of production when its still on their website
i know my friend and IDK what is it a brand cause i never used it and could you send me the link to it or see for me from where i could buy it cause i m not so good on the web to find as i don t know much on how to use it :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Here's an adjustable advancer I picked up on eBay for the first gen R6 . Has GMS stamped in it if that will help with your search...

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle
great my friend i would buy it could you send me the item number or something so i see it on e bay and if i can i buy it please

·
I eat my R6
57 Posts
It was a used item. I just searched for '02 R6 timing advancer'. But maybe you can look into the company GMS that's stamped on the one I have. Sorry mines not for sale.

Sent from my iPhone using my thumbs

·
Registered
18 Posts
It was a used item. I just searched for '02 R6 timing advancer'. But maybe you can look into the company GMS that's stamped on the one I have. Sorry mines not for sale.

Sent from my iPhone using my thumbs
ok my friend thank you but do you know someone who has a second hand one or new to buy it from cause where i live in malta is a small island and can t find it anywhere its impossible thanks

·
nova r6
3,228 Posts
Are you still looking for an advancer?

We were cleaning the shop up and found one from Rohm Performance Machine

It says its for the 99/2000 but it might say that just because its so old.

Its brand new in the package with instructions

IMG_1351[2] by tdoss1980, on Flickr

1 - 20 of 20 Posts