Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
My R6 beats me.
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's (2) hex head socket cap screws on the underside of the assembly. I've searched and searched and no one talks about removing it this way. Why? I'm replacing mine today and am going to the store to buy a set of allen wrenches and from the looks of it, it should only take about 15 minutes total... Am I completely wrong? Why are there no picture showing this process? I will be doing a write-up showing the process...with pictures...

·
My R6 beats me.
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those only hold the bracket that the clutch cable routes through, not the ignition barrel.
I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing... I've attached a pic of the tumbler assy I've purchased... There are (2) socket head hex bolts holding it in place. When you remove them, it slides out of the ring... If someone had a pic showing otherwise, I would understand a little better.

Attachments

·
Stunt Rider
7,982 Posts
You want to remove the barrel from the outer bracket?

·
Stunt Rider
7,982 Posts
That is the ignition. Usually there is no hex screw. Just a solid bolt that you need to drill out.

·
Stunt Rider
7,982 Posts
Okay, so apparently someone else did the hard work for me?
Are you running an aftermarket top clamp? My aftermarket piece has threading to accept bolts.

·
Stunt Rider
7,982 Posts
Oh.... nice. Previous owner re tapped it for you.

·
pin it to win it
8,080 Posts
That's odd. Has your bike ever been stolen, or a old track bike?

·
My R6 beats me.
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's odd. Has your bike ever been stolen, or a old track bike?
The previous owner bought it to track but never did. I'm the third owner and it's a local bike. He did tell me it had been wrecked before but was minor as the only real evidence was a couple small scrapes on the right engine cover and one of the little black fairing components. But the only non-OEM parts on it currently are the windscreen, flush mounts and the integrated tail.

·
Registered
672 Posts
It sounds like the ignition was removed at one point and they re-mounted it with regular bolts(as opposed to OEM break away bolts) Consider yourself lucky you dont have to drill out the break aways :)

·
My R6 beats me.
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It sounds like the ignition was removed at one point and they re-mounted it with regular bolts(as opposed to OEM break away bolts) Consider yourself lucky you dont have to drill out the break aways :)
Got it changed out in 15 minutes along with the fuel door. #6 Allen Wrench was all it took... I took pics but they're on my phone and will have load them later.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts