Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Stock R6.. keepin it rea!
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went to start the bike up after work for the ride home I turn the key to ‘on’ I hear the fuel pump being activated check to see if its in Neutral and it is, I turn the kill switch off and proceed to start the bike and get nothing, not a sound. I don’t think it’s the ignition switch because I could hear the fuel pump activate when I turned the key to on. Anyway after pressing the start button about 20 times the bike started right up and I went on my way. It was about 40-50 degrees out and the bike is a 2000 R6 17k on the odo if any of this helps.

My theory is it’s the start button, what do you guys think? Thanks, guys!

Also is there a write up on carb cleaning of the 2000 R6 and do I need any special tools? I am DIY’er with plenty of tools.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I went to start the bike up after work for the ride home I turn the key to ‘on’ I hear the fuel pump being activated check to see if its in Neutral and it is, I turn the kill switch off and proceed to start the bike and get nothing, not a sound. I don’t think it’s the ignition switch because I could hear the fuel pump activate when I turned the key to on. Anyway after pressing the start button about 20 times the bike started right up and I went on my way. It was about 40-50 degrees out and the bike is a 2000 R6 17k on the odo if any of this helps.

My theory is it’s the start button, what do you guys think? Thanks, guys!

Also is there a write up on carb cleaning of the 2000 R6 and do I need any special tools? I am DIY’er with plenty of tools.
Is it still doing this now when u try to start it? it very well could be the start button

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
That could be any of the following going bad: Starter button, clutch switch, nuetral switch, kickstand switch or a loose wire somewhere.... d/l a service manual and go through the process of "checking the switches" with a multimeter to see which one is on its way out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts