Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike has about 150 miles on it. I ride it about 2 times a week so far. Now what i dont get it that the bike seems to have a harder time starting for the first time and then its fine after. I ussually just turn it off by turning the key, but last time i hit the kill switch and then turned the key off. The bike sat for 3 days and then today it seemed to hisitate before it started. Anyone else with this problem? could it be the battery?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
By hard time starting i mean it turns over for a few seconds before it starts. My friends all laugh at me jokingly, but it pisses me off cause i spend close to 9k and this should not be happening.

·
Registered
330 Posts
No idea man...I have ridden my like twice a week now for the last 3 months cuz I don't have time to do it mroe often. I have an 07 and don't have that problem-it's never done that. Have you taken it in to get looked at?

·
Ur mom doesnt fit on back
247 Posts
i dont know either, and its hard to judge not hearin it. best advice i can tell ya is remember thats not a car. it was hard for me at first to realize this haha

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Who knows, i guess ill have to take it into the shop.

its sounds like this... tttttttttttt vroom the first time and then after its like this ttt vroom

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No idea man...I have ridden my like twice a week now for the last 3 months cuz I don't have time to do it mroe often. I have an 07 and don't have that problem-it's never done that. Have you taken it in to get looked at?
Hey when you give gas on your bike and let off fully and then give gas again, do you feel jerk or is it it fully smooth where you dont notice any kind of jerky feeling? Mine feels like its very very resposive and not smooth. When i give gas it abruptly, it has a jerky feeling and is very very responsive, in any gear.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Hey when you give gas on your bike and let off fully and then give gas again, do you feel jerk or is it it fully smooth where you dont notice any kind of jerky feeling? Mine feels like its very very resposive and not smooth. When i give gas it abruptly, it has a jerky feeling and is very very responsive, in any gear.
After this post, I went out and rode for the first time in 5 or 6 days, so the bike has been sitting a bit.
-Bike started up normally and sounded great
-Bike was smooth and responsive.
-Throttle was great and exhaust sounded good as well

The throttle did not feel jerky at all. It was very responsive and very smooth both before the ride, during, and after. No jerking at all-nice roll on.

How are your spark plugs?

·
Registered
330 Posts
What year is your bike? If it's an 08 and has only 150 miles on it, then it could just be the engine/throttle/clutch breaking in. Although my '07 never experienced any of what you're describing.

·
To the Bat Cave!
4,113 Posts
Mine does that too sometimes. Are you talking it turns over a little more and sounds like it is having a hard time starting? I never really noticed it or got overly worried. Actually, it seems kind of normal.

To my knowledge as well, you should turn your bike off every time with the kill switch. At least that is what I've been told. Supposedly it's better for the bike. I don't know if that only applied to the older models but I kill switch mine every time.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Hey, yea thats what i mean it turns over more on the first time around. Its nothing to bad but a 9 thousand dollar bike betteer efing start up on command you know. Also the guy before said his is smoother then ever. I dont know why mine jerks. What i mean by the jerkyness is this...

start rolling in first gear at about 5mph applying very very light gas and then give some gas more power kinda rapidly but not to rapid. It almost instantly reacts and makes like a little clunk noise and pulls forward. Then when im riding at like 40mph, if i let go of the throttle completely and then get right on it, it gives kinda a jerky feeling and makes a clunkly type noise and picks up speed again. On the GSXR and the NINJA both 07 it feels so smooth and linear. With my bike it feels like its 10000 times more responsive and just pulls right away with more power. Seems like the throttle is just so so sensitive compared to the other bikes.

I turn the bike off with the key, never with that swtich. Maybe thats the issue. Actuall ynow that i think about it, last time i rode the bike someone else turned it off with the swtich and yesterday before i started it, i didnt realize the swtich was still off so i turned the key and pressed the starter button but it didnt turn on...so i turned the key off and pusehd that killswitch up and then its started but it turned over more then ussual. Didnt have the "issue" again after that.

·
To the Bat Cave!
4,113 Posts
Hey, yea thats what i mean it turns over more on the first time around. Its nothing to bad but a 9 thousand dollar bike betteer efing start up on command you know. Also the guy before said his is smoother then ever. I dont know why mine jerks. What i mean by the jerkyness is this...

start rolling in first gear at about 5mph applying very very light gas and then give some gas more power kinda rapidly but not to rapid. It almost instantly reacts and makes like a little clunk noise and pulls forward. Then when im riding at like 40mph, if i let go of the throttle completely and then get right on it, it gives kinda a jerky feeling and makes a clunkly type noise and picks up speed again. On the GSXR and the NINJA both 07 it feels so smooth and linear. With my bike it feels like its 10000 times more responsive and just pulls right away with more power. Seems like the throttle is just so so sensitive compared to the other bikes.

I turn the bike off with the key, never with that swtich. Maybe thats the issue. Actuall ynow that i think about it, last time i rode the bike someone else turned it off with the swtich and yesterday before i started it, i didnt realize the swtich was still off so i turned the key and pressed the starter button but it didnt turn on...so i turned the key off and pusehd that killswitch up and then its started but it turned over more then ussual. Didnt have the "issue" again after that.
The dealer is probably just going to tell you, you're over-worried and that the bike is fine. However, for your peace of mind you can go and have them look at it. It is under warranty or you can just wait for your 600 mile initial checkup and ask then.

The bike is sensitive, if you don't do it just right, you're definitely going to jerk.

Everything you've talked about, I've experienced, it is just getting used to how the bike handles and how to handle it back. But seriously man, if it bothers you that much, go ahead and just call. Talk to one of the mechanics and see what they say. :)

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yea i wil ask during my tune up. Main reason i wanted some opinions from her is because my friends bikes, the GSXR (2 of them) and a Ninja are way smoother. They know how to ride better then me and say my bike is way better as far as performance but im yet to see anyhting ahah.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts