Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if there is an ignition wire I can splice into under the seat or under the fuel tank?

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
5,919 Posts
What do you mean by “ignition wire”? What are you looking to do?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is a
What do you mean by “ignition wire”? What are you looking to do?
This is a phrase ( gnition wire) that is used to describe a wire with12V but only after the key has been turned to on or sometimes after the motorcycle is running. You will see it phrase used universally in manuals for GPS trackers, alarm systems, Digital gauges, aftermarket headlights systems.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Answer plus other info...

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
5,919 Posts
You are referring to a "keyed 12V positive". An "ignition wire" would be one used to fire the coils.

But to the point, The connector from the right hand handlebar controls has a brown wire that is hot when the key is on. It is downstream from the "signal" fuse so your GPS will be protected by that fuse. A better option in my opinion (probably with more access) would be the brown wire that is on the connector coming from the left handle bar. That one feeds the turn signals and the horn, so it is less crucial and it is also protected by the "signal" fuse. I would make the splice on bike side, not the pigtail side of the connector.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
I would like to add don't use one of those 3 way splice connectors. I had to fix a bunch of wires on bikes because those cut the tapped wire in half. It's best to cut the wire strip all the ends and solder them.
I probably fixed 5 power commanders in 3 months from those connectors. One I couldn't fix because it was right up to the tps connector.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
1,006 Posts
Solder and shrink tubing!

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
The quick splice connectors also damage the wire. They're no longer able to carry the load they were designed to. This can create gremlins as items on that circuit are starved for power.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
1,006 Posts
Don't forget the corrosion attack on all the noninsulated areas of those connectors. Even expensive crimp on blades, barrels, nuts, etc using a real crimper that doesn't over or under crimp still corrodes.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Yeah the auto-parts stores really should remove that crap from their product lines.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
1,006 Posts
Yeah, I'm adding fireblade and cbr 900rr switches to my de-race project 83 vf750f project to keep honda parts on her. To convert all the wiring colors I'm using crimp bullets until all rewiring is confirmed correct. Then will add weatherpack connectors the old "one wire at a time" pinning merhod. That is better then twisting and nutting. Stock harness side is the minimum length honda could get away with so every inch matters!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts