Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
I m starting to eat my R6
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i lean my bike to the left (this never's happened on the right lean though), on curvy turns, the bike is shaking pretty bad.... i think its the rear end vibration but i m not sure..... i m almost positive this isnt due to improper throttle use.... so, can this be?

1. chain lube got on the rear tire (i make sure i wipe it off when this happens....) i think the "shake" happens even after a while since the chain was lubed
2. improper riding technique
3. something wrong with suspension, swing arm, rear tiere assembly, tire threads

will highly appreciate your thoughts on this problem
thanks in advance

·
Zombies may bite!!!!
1,182 Posts
Where are you getting the shaking?

What kind of shaking?

This is a really hard one just on your description, sorry.

·
Registered
35 Posts
based on your vague discription of what is happening, i would say it could be a number of things, and can throw out a couple you said

1. It is either like you said, improper throttle, or distribution of weight as you turn, if you go into a turn shaky, you will more than likely botch the turn and cause riding issues. If you do not have a steady throttle your distribution on tire will be effected, if you decelerate or quickly blip it, it will cause your end to come out slightly. But weight, are you moving your ass while in turn?

2. How bad are your tires, thread wise?

3. What are your suspension settings?

4. I can almost 100% say that it is not your chain lube used getting on the tire.

just my 2

·
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
guys, thanks for your input....

rchristian56, the rear of the bike is like dancing left to right.... something like i ve seen in a video when high-side happens...

Script', my tires are prob fine especially that this doesnt happen to the right side.... i have no idea what my suspension settings are.... the bike is pretty much stock - i got it 1-year used and havent played with suspension yet.... i would say this can be the throttle (even thoug i'd like to think i m controlling it well) or improper position.... i havent been moving my ass until recently (i dont think i was when the rear-end vibe was happening) however i never heard they move asses on cruisers... my point here is that basic riding position would not cause this problem, would it?

will appreciate your further thoughts on this matter....
How/what needs to check to id suspension settings? (perhaps the previous owner was playing with it)

·
Zombies may bite!!!!
1,182 Posts
Georgere I'll get back to you tomorrow but I'd chekc the air pressure first.

Then we will talk about setting up suspention and how to.

I would say other things about ridding style but you make it sound like these are low spped turns and a confedence or riddind style does not really play into hand unless we aare talking hirer speed turns where your cranked over.

:)

·
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: bike is shaking when leaning - need HELP

another thought: can this be that my tire get affected due to the bike is always on the kick-stand when parked - i.e. leaned to the left (my garage is too small to put the bike on a rear stand like pitbull)? i've heard this can cause issues with the tires..... :eek:

·
Zombies may bite!!!!
1,182 Posts
Yeah if it was sitting for months at a time and I would even say it wouldnt be noticable until at least a year of non movement in one spot.
Are you the first onwner?
And is this an issue has the bike been sitting for long periods of time?

·
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if you saying that this would take months for the tire to be affected by the bike/tire standing in one spot, then we can rule out this as an issue....

i m 2nd owner..... i've been a pretty active rider (on weekends only though) and put on over 3500 miles in one season....

·
Zombies may bite!!!!
1,182 Posts
The part thats really getting me is the one siddedness of this issue.

Do me a favor turn the slots on the fork tops counter clockwaise counting clicks. Write the clicks down for both sides this way you remember how many times to turn them clockwise back.

See if these numbers match.

·
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
are u talking about rebound damping force adjusting screws (the once ot top of the blue bolts)? I will do that..... but do u know what it should be, lets say stock settings...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Tire pressure, as stated before! How has the tire worn? Are you better turning one way vs. the other? If you turn more aggressively to the right, and the tire is low, you may be compromising the tire profile due to inadequate pressure. If you aren't as aggressive with lefts, then the carcass may be able to withstand the force without buckling and causing the "shake".

It's not done that often by many, but when I rode on the street, I checked tire pressures before every ride! Peace of mind!
Good luck and be careful until you figure it out!
D.

·
crashing aint so bad
2,271 Posts
I would say check tire pressure first. 36 lbs. is a good place to start. If it is dancing as you say or wallowing, swaying etc. then it is most likely a rebound damping setting issue. This is usually the result of to little rebound damping. but make sure that you have the rear tire axle square, and tightened down properly as well. It seems funny to me that it does this in only one direction. the axle not being true could be the culprit. make sure everything else is correct b-4 changing suspension settings. And then when u do make the suspenion settings make sure you find out where it is at to begin with. To do that pick a direction and count the clicks until it stops. Example: you turn it 5 clicks in to full stiff. This will give you an idea of where it is at. So if the adjuster is say 2 clicks out from full soft. You can safely say that the rbound setting is pretty soft. So then then turn it in a couple clicks and go for a test ride to see if it improves. If it is say 2 clicks out from full stiff. then you may have another issue. Grease all the suspension links to make sure they are all free and stuff. and then go for another test ride. hope this helps.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts