Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Motorcycle Race VIP Guy
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First thread: http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=300378

Second thread: http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=300754

Okay, so since my Bazzaz threw a Code 39, my bike has had nothing but problems and I cannot, for the life of me, figure out what the heck is wrong!?

When I replaced the Bazzaz with a Power Commander V, my bike ran, however, the headlight/running light fuse kept blowing.

After checking all the wires, and disconnecting everything, I came to the conclusion that maybe something went wrong with the wiring harness since the Bazzaz was wired to the taillight.

So, I replaced the whole damn wiring harness today, had to drop the engine a bit to even run the wires, what a pain in the ass! I thought this meant I was in the clear, everything fresh and running good.

WRONG!

Fuse still blows!

So what the heck is next????????? Everytime I try to start the bike is when the fuse pops.

I was listening to hear any noises when I try to start the bike to see if something makes any noise, and around this area (I believe this thing that says "UP") makes like a single snap/pop noise once I press the start button.

Is there supposed to be such a noise around there? HELP? PLEASE?!

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
Seriously though, you're just going to have to test all the connections and comopnents on the starter circuit. Vehicles often have a relay that turns off the lights & accessories when you thumb the starter, so that all the juice from the battery can go to the starter. I have no idea if a 3rd gen R6 has such a relay, but it may be worth looking into and see if something like that is fried, being that you replaced the whole wiring harness already.

You need to be a little more methodical about this stuff brother. You're going to be chasing problems forever if you keep just trying to throw parts at stuff before you've nailed down exactly what's wrong. Electrical stuff is definitely a bitch, but it's going to end up being a lot more costly and time-consuming if you don't break out the multimeter and the wiring diagram and start testing connections/components until you find something that's out of sorts.

·
Motorcycle Race VIP Guy
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What can I test? What am I looking for?

With the bike just in the ON position, it doesn't blow, but once I hit the starter the fuse pops .... and if I try to swap out the fuse while the bike is running, it pops.

If it's not the harness (and again, no lights are connected), what should I be looking for/testing?

·
Motorcycle Race VIP Guy
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So if the fuse will just blow once I try to start the bike or while it's running ... I can't really test anything relating to that circuit.

·
Sherwin Antagonist
1,475 Posts
So is this with the bazzaz installed on the new harness?

Could it be possible you simply tapped into a wrong wire/circuit on the bike?

·
Sherwin Antagonist
1,475 Posts
Looking at that picture you posted, is that gray cable attached? It looks like its just a piece of bare wire floating around. It should be heat shrunk or wrapped with electrical tape. If another wire somewhere is in the same condition, That could be causing your problem.

Just throwing it out there as I'm reading through your first 2 threads :laugh

·
Motorcycle Race VIP Guy
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That wire is to be spliced into an ECU wire for the power commander v but the PC isnt hooked up yet. The Bazzaz is long gone.

Basically any and all wires on this bike right now are just stock, except also NO lights.

·
Sherwin Antagonist
1,475 Posts
ok, so as of now, just to recap:

bike runs fine but headlight fuse blows. No lights are plugged in (running lights, headlights, HID ballasts, nothing), and there are no other mods requiring tapping into electrical system. you're using a 15A fuse?

·
Motorcycle Race VIP Guy
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Correct!

and it only blows once I turn the bike on (and while the bike is running). If the bike if off but in the ON position, it wont blow

·
Registered
324 Posts
Try disconnecting your light bulbs and tail light and fire the bike up. Do the fuses blow? If not, replace whichever of the parts you removed are bad.

If fuses still blow, you have a short to ground before the load somewhere between your new harness and the end components of the bike in that system (which is why I recommend starting with the bulbs).

·
Sherwin Antagonist
1,475 Posts
Correct!

and it only blows once I turn the bike on (and while the bike is running). If the bike if off but in the ON position, it wont blow
Have you tried opening up your headlight switch and checking for any corrosion? how about checking your headlight relays (on/off & Dimmer)?

the fuse that is blowing, Its the fuse that's in the fuse box in front of the tank on the clutch side?

·
....Casper....
719 Posts
After looking through the wiring diagram the most likely culprit would be your turn signals/license plate light as they are probably not stock and may or may not even be present.

step one: make sure the wiring for both of those is not grounding out

after that i would try removing the main headlight relay (not the dimmer(highbeam) relay)

if your fuse still pops then the headlight wiring is not the problem its either in the taillight, signals, license plate light, accessory light.

heres a link to the service manual containing the wiring diagrams http://www.r6live.com/downloads/pdf/2007_R6_Service.pdf

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
So if the fuse will just blow once I try to start the bike or while it's running ... I can't really test anything relating to that circuit.
Why not? You don't need power to check continuity and resistance, which is most likely going to tell you what you need to know.

Open up the manual, go to the wiring diagram, look at what's on the same circuit as the starter, and then look up how to test those components. Check continuity in the harness to those components to make sure there's not a short or a break where there shouldn't be, etc.

And just to clarify - does the fuse pop when you press the starter, or when you release it? If it's when you press it, I'd like at the starter circuit. If it's when you release it, I'd look at whatever is on the circuit for the fuse that's popping.

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts
i would ground the system to the bottom of the "rats nest" where all other circuits are gounded... not directly to the battery.

finally, take the whole thing off. see what happens.

·
Motorcycle Race VIP Guy
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Have you tried opening up your headlight switch and checking for any corrosion? how about checking your headlight relays (on/off & Dimmer)?

the fuse that is blowing, Its the fuse that's in the fuse box in front of the tank on the clutch side?
Alright well check how weird this is ... and I don't know if this was a fluke or what, but...

Thought maybe it'd be the dimmer switch (Even though the harness side is new, but who knows about the side that connects to the switch), so I disconnected it and put in a 25A (Just to see) and it didn't pop. Tried a 20A, and it didn't pop. Then went back to a 15A and wtf, it didn't pop! Plugged the dimmer switch back in, still didn't pop.

Bike just magically isn't popping fuses anymore.

What the... :poke :screwy

I guess I shouldn't complain but I hate how it magically started not popping fuses without a clear explanation.

Oh well, I'll update this thread if I stumble into anymore issues. Next step will be to make sure everything still works once I actually connect the headlights and taillight.

Fallis ... the cliff thing was quite possibly Plan B.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Going by the wiring diagram, that fuse that keeps popping powers essentially every light on the bike including the instrument cluster. To find out what's popping that fuse, run your engine and plug the lights you disconnected back in one by one while checking the fuse. If at any point the fuse pops, the circuit to the light you plugged in last would be the culprit.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts