Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
yep lot of morons here. florida has no helmet law, the only thing you have to have on is eye protection which can be as simple as some gas station sun glasses. so the squids indulge in their right to wear as little gear as they possibly can.

·
Watch out, I'm riding!
378 Posts
florida has no helmet law
Not quite correct. Florida only permits the use of no helmet if you have at least 10k in medical insurance. (Cops don't bother to even try enforcing this, however.)

Yeah, Florida is definitely the land of the squids. Almost no one wears a helmet, and even fewer wear any kind of gear - gloves or jackets, nothing. If you ask some of these people, they'll say it's too hot for gear, or only wussies wear gear, things like that. Something stupid.

And yet pretty much every day or three, I end up with a cop telling me about yet another motorcycle accident down the road where the rider died because he did something stupid (usually speeding or stunting in traffic) with no gear. So stupid.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Not quite correct. Florida only permits the use of no helmet if you have at least 10k in medical insurance. (Cops don't bother to even try enforcing this, however.)

Yeah, Florida is definitely the land of the squids. Almost no one wears a helmet, and even fewer wear any kind of gear - gloves or jackets, nothing. If you ask some of these people, they'll say it's too hot for gear, or only wussies wear gear, things like that. Something stupid.

And yet pretty much every day or three, I end up with a cop telling me about yet another motorcycle accident down the road where the rider died because he did something stupid (usually speeding or stunting in traffic) with no gear. So stupid.

not quite correct either.

if your 21+ theres no helmet law period, if your 16-20 (maybe 18-20 not sure) and have the medical coverage then you can ride without a helmet too...if you dont have coverage then you have to have a helmet on.

its nearly impossible to enforce. they aren't going to waste their time pulling over everyone who has an 'under 21' license plate whose not wearing a helmet to see if they have insurance or not. unless they dont have eye protection then they will, they love writing those 70$ tickets for not having eye protection (you cant even flip your visor up in traffic thats moving 10 mph, they WILL write you a ticket for that around here)

·
I ride bitches year round
1,834 Posts
jrmul had it dead on. The only reason the 'under 21' plate exists is to aid cops in ticketing. If you are under 21, law says you must wear a helmet regardless of insurance. 21 and up can ride without a helmet if they carry medial insurance.

A person over 21 years of age may operate or ride upon a motorcycle without wearing protective headgear securely fastened upon his or her head if such person is covered by an insurance policy providing for at least $10,000 in medical benefits for injuries incurred as a result of a crash while operating or riding on a motorcycle.

·
Registered
88 Posts
What makes me laugh the most is seeing guys not wearing a helmet, but having it strapped to the back of the bike. Does a lot of good back there.

·
1,834 Posts
Yea even worse than that is the guys that wear everything (jacket gloves etc.) except their helmet. Like they just have to show off but they can't show off if no one sees their face. Someone should open a store called - "Squids R Us"

·
Registered
88 Posts
I took the 6 out yesterday to run errands. I would say it was about 100 mile total ride, and i counted 15 other bikes during that time. Out of all of them i was the only wearing a helmet.

·
Mr. B (Florida Boy)
1,533 Posts
What part of FL we talkin here? The panhandle folks are different from your garden variety central and southern squids..:popcorn:

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts
Bman... you back home these days? thought you were off the board for a while. good to see it aint true.

and yea... no helmet wearing folks are everywhere.

·
R is for respect!
1,623 Posts
:nono squids. glad to see your back bmanxer

·
1,834 Posts
I live in south Florida and to be honest, I rarely see a sport bike rider not wearing a helmet.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Im in Melbourne/Cocoa Beach area, and its a very common thing to see a asshat not wearing a helmet on a sportbike. Also its not only limited to darwin award winning "gixxer" crown either.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
What part of FL we talkin here? The panhandle folks are different from your garden variety central and southern squids..:popcorn:
that may be the case then. cuz im in the panhandle.

i know for a fact around here its under 21 CAN ride without a helmet if they have insurance. atleast thats what the last law i read said. they had it printed up at the place i rented a bike from (before i got my bike, wanted to rent a bike one weekend to go out riding)...and that was march of this year.

spring break and thunder beach you wont see a helmet on a biker.

·
Registered
350 Posts
FL is unbearable even without gear, so you might as well wear it. You get 3 nice months, Dec, Jan, Feb. All others = scrotum stuck to your leg the second you walk outside. I don't miss living there.

·
Mmm Hmmm
104 Posts
Florida=land of the $450 shoei frame slider.

Pretty much every guy i ride with wears their gear. Easier to wash off sweat then to regrow skin.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Im down in miami florida and i usually see guys on sport bikes with helmets, its guys on the choppers with nothing but sun glasses..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts