Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so my bike started goin on the fritz, i've ruled out the fuel pump and all corresponding to fueling this junk. also have good spark, would the next thing 2 check be the timing and how do I do so. The thing is the bike seems to run fine till it gets 2 operating temp then goes haywire. asked multiple techs they don't know what 2 tell me hopefully you guys can help. thanks for any responses. the sooner the better this is my only vehicle lol.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
are you positive that the relays are fine. I chased a similar problem on my 01 and it was a relay. Took me for days to find it. And I doubt its timing because that doesnt really change as the temp goes up. If you have spark and good air flow, I would say its likely the fuel system and you haven't figured it out yet. what do you mean by haywire? If you changed the jetting it could be that...or something clogging a jet maybe?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that's prolly a good idea. when I say it goes haywire, say i'm ridin for a good 30mins or so bike gets up 2 temp randomly I lose all power and if I try 2 give the bike gas it just chokes out like it can't breathe. I know the timing don't change but do you think something in the ignition system is faulty cause that would throw it off wouldn't it?

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
I very seriously doubt its an ignition thing unless you have a coil problem or a faulty ecu or something like that. Sounds to me like a fuel problem, almost like the fuel pump is going out. when you checked the pump, how did you do it? turned the key with the hose off and fuel came out? That does not gaurantee that your pump is good.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
basically I rode around for a bit till it was warm, then followed the instructions in the clymer manual. which says to disconnect the fuel pump hose from the carbs, put into something then put direct power 2 the fuel pump. it pumped so I assumed it was good.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
I still think its a fuel problem, especially if it feels like it bogs. Does it feel like you are running out of gas?

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
I would say its the pump, the relay, or a loose electrical connection, but I would have to see/hear it. If you know you have spark and havent messed with the ignition, I doubt that your problem is there. I put a factory pro ignition advance on my 01 and still had no problems. If you stick to fuel, fire, and air...well, sounds like you have fire and air is not a problem unless you sucked up a bird or something...being that it runs most till it gets hot, I would probably rule out the relay (but not positive, test it). If you didnt mess with the jets or put crappy gas in your tank, its probably not a jetting thing. I would make damn sure to check all my connections and then see if you can find someone who will spot you their fuel pump for a test. If that fixes it, buy a fuel pump.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
right well thanx bigtime for the help. where about's you from dude, cause unless u got one I'm probably gonna have 2 just buy a new pump. Hell if it ain't the problem I'll have an extra haha

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
I dont have the 01 anymore....upgraded to an 08. I live in sac.. and you will probably want to kill me, but I had like 4 of those pumps and I literally gave them away like a month ago...sorry man. maybe check ebay

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
that's cool man thanx alot even a new pump at my local dealer ain't to bad i'll prolly just buy one and see what happens.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
they are spendy. I got 4 of them off of ebay for less than the price of one at my stealership...but then, my stealership was the only one for like 250 miles....

·
Registered
448 Posts
Here is something to consider. My 2000 R6 carb is heated. Hot water from the radiator is pumped through the carb. Maybe for some reason, your carb is getting too hot and your fuel is vaporizing??

Maybe this water is to stabalize the carb temp to make it easier to tune and it also helps keep the carb a little cooler when its working right. Could it be possible that you have a water circulation problem that is causing your carbs to overheat??

To be honest I dont know exactly why the water is there, but it sounds to me like your problem only occures when your bike is good and hot. So if it were me I would check into that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts