Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty set on the R6. Being 5'7 and 130lbs it feels best for me out of all the 600s i've sat on.

I'm just torn on whether I should go new or used. I like the idea of new, because I'll know everything about it. I'm a little weary of buying a used bike.

What did you do about your first bike?

Thanks! :cheers

·
Registered
953 Posts
i'm 5'8" 135. i bought a used one for price and because i'd figure i would have that first drop like everyone else. which i did. the bike i got was dropped on the left side and scrached the fiarings up a bit and broke stuff... i fixed everything but noticed some damage that was on the frame i didn't noticed before just because i didn't know to look for it. i don't regreat it. it runs fine and no one can see the damage. i'd go used but i did wish i stuck to my no dropped bikes policy. so i'd so go used 03-04 not dropped.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
here's what the mature rider will probably tell you.

1. take msf, that class is invaluable.
2. start on either a used/old 600, e.g. yzf600, that has considerably less power. the problem having a powerful bike at first is that you might make mistakes that are hidden by, or self-corrected the power
3. upgrade to r6 when you feel you're ready.

this is what i'd tell you.

1. take msf, that class is invaluable.
2. get whatever bike you feel comfortable getting, if you think you can handle/respect the power of an r6 or an r1 for that matter, then get it. don't get a 600 because a 250 is too slow. and DEFINITELY do not get a 600cc/1000cc because
1. all your buddies have them and you want to be able to keep up.
2. because it looks cool.
i learned that in msf that a modern day 250 has just about the same power/weight ratio as a corvette.
3. if you haven't taken msf already, take it! :hammer

as your first bike, i think you should only be using this bike to learn about the basics of motorcycling, and learn about yourself on a motorcycle. i think your first priority (after taking msf) is to figure out what kind of rider you are. commuter? cruiser? track junky? that kinda deal, then upgrade accordingly.

hope this helps.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Well here is what I did...

Started out on a Suzuki GN125cc street bike when I was 14, drove that around for a few years on the streets getting completely used to a motorcycle. Dropped it a time or two when I was just learning how to ride it, and then a month or so after I got my license. Then in the in-between years I road some dirt bikes/ATV's, etc., not much though.

Fast forward a few years. I went and bought a brand new 04 R6 knowing I was comfortable with motorcycles in terms of riding on the street comfortably. I wanted an R1 but considering my skill level I figured a 600 would be plenty, and I was right. I'm still getting used to the bike but I feel pretty comfortable on it.

But, like everyone else will probably say, TAKE THE MSF COURSE. I haven't taken it (yet), but I have never heard a bad thing about it, I hear nothing but praise for the course. I'd say get whatever you feel comfortable with, but you must respect the power of the bike, it will throw you off in a heartbeat. It would probably be best to get an old used 600 and play around with it, and if you drop it, who gives a shit, it's old and has a lot of miles. And I'd definitely say that you WILL drop the bike, it's just a matter of time. Ride safe and defensively, and be careful! :hammer

·
Registered
304 Posts
did you get a brand new car when you first got your license...........i didnt so i would not recommend getting a new bike for your first bike either. this is my first street bike and i got something i could learn on with out really being afraid to mess it up if it was to happen.......knock on would that i have not totaled it. but thats my opinion......do with it as you wish

·
Registered
86 Posts
my first bike is the 2003 6 i have right now. i just got it about a month ago. i bought it used with ~4000 miles and got a good price on it. it was never dropped and i havnt dropped it and i hope i dont. i would go the same route i did if i were you. i dont regret it at all.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I personally don't recommend starting out on a full blown sportbike, but have grown tired of arguing this point for the past 10 years.

so I will distill it down to this... if you are rich(or mommy is) and can afford to repair/repaint/replace broken fairings... buy whatever bike you want.

If you can't afford the repairs (or the insurance) of a brand new race-bike... get yourself a used unfaired bike. GS-500, EX-500, NT-650, Bandit 400/600, ZR-7S, and any number of older "standards". Hell, get a SV-650, then when you want something else for the street you will have a hell of a good beginner race-bike.

·
Registered
83 Posts
my first bike was a honda 250 CBR RR......not like I had much choice though because you have to ride a 250 or less for the first year then you can upgrade..........once that year was up went for the "Big bike test" on a monday morning....past the test went straight down the dealership made the deal and had a brand spanking new 04 R6 by tuesday afternoon.

In saying all that I personaly think jumping on a powerful R6 as a first bike is getting a little to far ahead of yourself. Start "somewhere" first then go for the big boys whether it be new or old.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks a lot guys. The only thing stopping me from buying a used bike is the fact that I don't know it's history or if it was dropped, and in a lot of cases there's no way to tell.

I haven't taken the MSF yet, it was full, so I'm forced to take it in a couple of weeks.

As far as power goes, I just sold an 11 second Honda CRX, so i'm used to having power...just on 4 wheels. I understand it's a world of a difference, but I can contain myself from speeding/going fast.

I originally planned on buying a 250 to learn on, but EVERYBODY is telling me i'll be bored in 3 months. That's fine with me, but is it worth the effort to just learn on it for a few months? I understand i'll be able to take it slow and slowly learn how to push the 250's limits. Once i'm comfortable with that I can move up, but I'm confident that I can learn on a 600.

I'd probably ride around side streets late at night until I feel comfortable enough to get on a main road. This isn't my main source of transportation, just something I want to get into.

Thanks for all the help and comments, keep them coming :wave

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
yeah, cars and motorcycles are worlds apart.

adding on to what rocky said about having money. if you have money you can repair/repaint/replace basically anything on a bike. no amounts of money will save your life if you go head on into on coming traffic (knock on wood).

just be smart, i'm sure you're not too much of a squid to get yourself killed out there. :hammer

·
Registered
83 Posts
R1DE said:
I originally planned on buying a 250 to learn on, but EVERYBODY is telling me i'll be bored in 3 months. That's fine with me, but is it worth the effort to just learn on it for a few months? I understand i'll be able to take it slow and slowly learn how to push the 250's limits. Once i'm comfortable with that I can move up, but I'm confident that I can learn on a 600.
You probably will be board in 3mths but it depends on what your "used" to I guess. I mean I used to think my honda cbr rr 250 that redlined at 19,000rpm was crazzyyyyy and fast and I rode that for 12mths but I knew nothing else.......I got my R6 and oh boy figured out what I was missing pretty fast and hadn't even past 8,000rpm yet on it lol.

If you going to buy a 250 for a few months then upgrade it's probably not worth it as you lose money each time you buy something sell it buy something sell it.......you seem like your head is screwed on right and a 600 first up wouldn't go astray as long as you respect!! it.

a sub 11sec bike compared to a 11sec car is just in-comparatible

·
Registered
44 Posts
The acceleration on a bike is way higher than that of a 11sec CRX. I got my 02 R6 a couple of weeks ago and it was my first bike, I'm still getting used to it. Oh and I did take the MSF course before doing anything else. You just got to know to respect the bike and don't do anything more than what you are comfortable with. And people are going to want you to show off but don't do that. I'd say deffinately take the MSF course there is sooo much to learn there. The R6 is perfect for me, it fits me best and it's PLENTY fast.

Brandon

·
Registered
101 Posts
Your getting pushed through 11 seconds in a car, your holding on for your life on your bike, its a bit different. Also, the 6 was my first street bike but I have had years of motocross expierence. I think pens right, as long as you respect the bike your should be alright. Just keep your eyes open for idiots that dont see you, I think thats the most dangerous part of riding, and you could try keepin your hand low on the throttle at first so you dont launch yourself to the moon.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts