Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Imaginatory crash reaction, when in the air not knowing up from down.

• Arms tucked at sides, elbows bent, hands close to chest

Votes: 12 63.2%
  • Hands on each side of helmet to protect head, elbows tucked

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Hands out preparing for sliding (on back or front)

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.5%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Harlequinn
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
You highside, and you're in the air without a clue of up / down, directional forces are simply forward at this point in time, and you were smart (wearing all the gear).

Imagine this for a moment...what do you do instinctively?

And if you will also respond with how that may or may not have worked out for you, if you have actually been involved in something like this, it would be real interesting to hear about it.

Are there liabilities associated with this kind of thread? Should I mention that in no way is any of this meant to turn out to be designed advising on what to do in the event of a crash. It is purely just an exercise to see what the current mental climate is with regards to instinctive (purely non-controlled) reactions to being in an extreme situation. Does that work?

·
track junkie
2,257 Posts
i keep my arms tucked-in and go limp until i hit. i've fallen off of many things in my day and that seems to be the best way to do it...

s3aturnr

·
zomething different
8,430 Posts
I've had one highside and it happened with no warning. Instinctively threw my arms out but it was nap time before I could figure out which way was up. Came out alright, no serious injuries.

·
Registered
287 Posts
ideally #1 is what you want to do. but #3 is more likely. having your hands protect your head will be useless. what would you rather hit the ground your lid, or your hands covering your lid. either way your bell is rung, but one leaves you with a smashed hand/hands.

·
Living The Dream
3,806 Posts
tuck and roll!! saved my ass

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
In new racers school they teach you to do #1 but our initial reaction would be #3. But In your scenario I don't see how they would be a whole lot of sliding going on in a high side. Much more in a low side obviously.

·
Rubber side down
512 Posts
When I first started doing trackdays I crashed once and put my arms out. End result, broken wrist. Now 7 years, and a few more crashes later, I can tell you I consciously think about keeping my arms tucked in while going down and it helps. Take my word for it. High or low side. Cause even if you're sliding down the track, any limb out from your body is fair game to get run over.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Harlequinn
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Really interesting responses. I am pretty sure that you guys are right about fighting the instinct to thrust your hands out someone to brace for impact / sliding.

It's a lot to me like any really disorienting situation, like being in total darkness all of a sudden, the first thing you want to do is get your hands out in front of you to act as "feelers".

When I see crashes, and we got to see quite a few in the latest motogp qatar race, it makes it so clear how impossible it is for us to actually react to it. Most of the guys that went down appeared to hit the ground and as soon as they realised they were on their butts, their arms were down by their sides (standard low side sliding position).

Consistently though, in high side situations, I see riders hit the ground head/shoulder first, and it often makes me wonder what body positioning would be best to prevent the infamous broken coller bone, or concussion / head trauma. I wonder if having the arms up a bit (raising the shoulders into a bit of a shrug) would help with any of that.

I do know that general rule of thumb says neutral / fetal position is simply where the human body is both the most powerful, and least prone to injury. This position of course has the arms tucked at sides, elbows bent with hands in front of chest...basically your body should be like a baby in the womb curled up. Also seems to really be a good idea to make yourself small, as in the case of DarkravenR6...at least initially, and then maybe stretch out as you regain your bearings, ensure other riders are not blazing by you, and can then begin to focus on diffusing momentum.

·
Harlequinn
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In new racers school they teach you to do #1 but our initial reaction would be #3. But In your scenario I don't see how they would be a whole lot of sliding going on in a high side. Much more in a low side obviously.
Would you be able to describe (in whatever capacity, brief or detailed) the process of how they teach you to do this? Is it just a verbal "do this in the event of a crash", or is it more than that?

·
iRun
33,317 Posts
At first I superman-ed it, but while still being limp. I only had minor injuries, so that's a win I guess.

·
Smooth
298 Posts
I think it all depends on how the crash happens lots of variables can happen. I was lucky and tucked and landed on my lower back. Thats why everone should wear a back protector. I was swore for a few days but i prob would have broke something if i wasnt wearing it.

·
nom nom nom nom nom nom
1,251 Posts
In my highside that was about 60-65mph, I did about 4-5 barrel rolls. It happened so fast that the initial impact was with hands out as instincts took over. After that I tried to tuck my arms in as best I could once I realized what was going on. After the initial impact, it was just rolling, so not a whole lot going on. The first hit is going to be the worst since you are falling and haven't lost a lot of speed yet.

Both my wrists were pretty sore for about a month, but no major damage to my arms/hands. I think the first thing to hit the ground was my right knee, which caused a dislocated hip (I was moving/rolling to my left).

The worst part besides the hip was that it was my first day in a new helmet and boots. Glad they served their purpose, I just wish I could have had a little more time in them.

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
Would you be able to describe (in whatever capacity, brief or detailed) the process of how they teach you to do this? Is it just a verbal "do this in the event of a crash", or is it more than that?
I went through the same New Racer School. Instruction was basically:

If you crash, once you've realized you've crashed, stay loose, fold your arms over your chest and just wait it out. Once you think you've come to a stop, count to 3 before you try to get up. If you're still on the track DON'T SIT UP. Wait until you hear all the bikes go by, then peek around to make sure no one is coming, then get up and get off the track. It is much better to get run over laying flat, then it is to get hit square in the chest/face because you tried to sit up before everyone went by.

The stuff about sitting up is obviously a lot more applicable to racing, where everyone is in a pack, compared to track days where you're somewhat evenly spaced - but either way, something good to keep in mind.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have never highsided (knock on wood) but I have broken 23 bones in my body from a lot of dumb shit I've done. It took me a while to figure it out but when you're In the air with no control go limp and when you hit try to slide. Rolling is bad news sliding is a lot better. In the air go limp relax. Youre going to hit the ground hard anyway you might as well help yourself. Why do you think drunks do stupid shit crash cars fall off things and come out with a couple scrapes because their body is so relaxed it makes you flow better no mater what happens.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have never highsided (knock on wood) but I have broken 23 bones in my body from a lot of dumb shit I've done. It took me a while to figure it out but when you're In the air with no control go limp and when you hit try to slide. Rolling is bad news sliding is a lot better. In the air go limp relax. Youre going to hit the ground hard anyway you might as well help yourself. Why do you think drunks do stupid shit crash cars fall off things and come out with a couple scrapes because their body is so relaxed it makes you flow better no mater what happens.
23 bones?! WTH bro???
+1on going limp...its how drunks survive all their crashes

1 - 18 of 18 Posts