Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought my 2002 YZF R6 about 2 weeks ago it has 16,000 miles on it...and I've never been more frustrated in my life. Here's the issue I'm having.
Where to start...ok so when I bought the bike, it was running flawlessly, no issues whatsoever. Bike would start right up, idle at about 1500 rpm, good responsive throttle pull. I took it to the bank, it was sitting outside for about 10 minutes, I go back out to the bike, and it won't start. Jumped the bike with my truck (the truck was NOT running), it started right up. I left it running for about 10 minutes, then started riding it again. Shut it off, it started right back up again. Rode it to auto zone to get the battery charged, because I thought it was maybe going dead. Right as I was pulling into the parking lot, the bike started sputtering out, then died. When I'd pull the throttle, the rpms would drop, then finally shut off. They said the battery was good, it was holding a charge. So i put the battery back in, it started. I rode it about a mile, then it died again. I had a mechanic come pick it up. They concluded that it was the regulator wiring harness, so they rewired it. It started right up. Then died again a few miles later. I replaced the regulator. Nothing. I took it to another dude, he concluded it was the pick-up assy (tilt sensor?). Just put that in, bike still won't crank up. He checked my spark plugs, said they were good. Now I'm about to take it to a dealer and pay $100 an hour to troubleshoot...does anybody have any ideas of what my problem could be? Any help/ideas would be appreciated. I'm new to this, so I don't know much about the bike. Call me/e-mail me/post a reply...THIS BIKE IS PISSING ME OFF!!!!!!!!! :curse:curse:curse:curse:curse:curse:curse:curse:curse

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Well the first thing to do before doing throwing parts at it is to get some diagnostics done. Since autozone said your battery was good, then we'll eliminate that from the list. The other 3 possibilities are the regulator/rectifier, its harness, or the stator. Call the guy that said it was the "Pick-up assembly" and see if he meant the crank pickup sensor, or what exact part he was talking about.

Download the service manual here: http://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/...254-r6-service-maintenance-repair-manual.html

Conduct step 3 on page 8-27 and step 4 on page 8-28. In step 4 you do not have to disconnect the generator cover. Simply lift the tank and follow the wires up to the white connect and disconnect. Post your results

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm having the exact problem with my '05 that you're having. I put a new battery in today (it tested bad), and 5 mins later it died and all i get is the yellow service light and code 46. The manual says bad battery, wiring, or connectors, but i haven't found anything yet. Lots of folks are getting stator problems, so i don't know. I still need to dig in to it, but not tonite b/c I'll probably light the whole bike on fire and laugh. I'll let you know if i find something. Good luck!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The bike is at a dealer right now...they won't even be able to look at it til tomorrow. I'll let you guys know the results from the diognostics.

·
Registered
9 Posts
And I thought I was the only one who was having this issue. My bike is an 2005, and i'm having the same issue. However, im not getting any warning lights. My gauges turn on, but the ignition doesnt. Mine tries to crank up, with no luck. Its not the battery cuz its a brand new battery. I even went and used the previous one, and with a jump boost from my dads car - it turned on! So I know both batteries are good. Someone told me to check the fuses. So im heading out to see if its that! Ill posted any further info.

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
it's not a battery/regulator/rectifier problem. because it will keep running fine until it drains the battery if the rectifier, stator, or wiring goes bad. it could be a loose battery cable connection though. I had that happen on a older bike I used to have.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FINALLY figured out the problem. I got a call from the shop telling me my fuel pump was bad. I replaced the pump, to no avail. SAME PROBLEM! The pump was good. I connected some wire from the harness of the pump directly to the battery, and they both ran perfectly fine. I finally did that, after connecting the gas tank back up, fired right up, ran like brand new bike. I'm assuming it's the relay now, that's the only thing left. I'm going to replace that on monday, so I'll let you know a definite answer to my problem. I think I had an orgasm when I opened the throttle up all the way last night!!!!!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey! I hope that relay fixes your bike for good. I put a new regulator on mine and it's been perfect ever since. But it sure sucked letting it sit for a few weeks while I tested stuff and waited for the part to come in. It's too bad yours had to sit for so long and you had to put so much time and money into fixing it. Hope that does it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bike is up and running!!!!!!!!!! 2 months and $600 later. Found that the wire from the fuel pump going to the relay assy was getting no continuity...so I ran a hot wire from that bad wire input from the relay to another port on the relay, and it's running the pump now. I'm just waiting for the new relay I just ordered in order to do a permanent repair. Thanks for all the help/suggestions!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts