Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi R6 brainstrust
Q:1
I have a spare rear sprocket up one tooth from
(what I think is) OEM for my '06 R6 16- 45
I am after a little more punch out of the corners , I spend a lot of time on
a reduced short circuit track up :) here in Oz with lots of tight corners.
Would one tooth make any noticeable difference or should I just stop drinking :popcorn: beer and loose 5 kilo's :D
Q:2
Running Supercorsa SP 180 55
Considering Supercorsa SP 190 60 for next rear do I HAVE to change rear shock spacers or can I just instal and ride , I would like the bike to be a little quicker in direction change.
Cheers

·
Registered
74 Posts
If you have the 46 tooth go ahead and use it! It will help, but you probably won't notice much of a difference. If you went down a tooth in the front there would be a noticeable difference. Every track is different, but if it's a tight track you definitely want to shorten up the gearing. It all depends on what you're after. If you want excellent lap times, you want to get the tightest gearing you can without topping out 6th gear before the end of the straight.

As for the tire, I wouldn't be so sure pirelli 180/60 will have better turn in than the 180/55. I don't know, I'm just saying because pirell's 180/60 is comaprable to other tire manufacturers 190/55. It says 180, but it's actually wider. I remember looking at the spec sheet for it a while ago. Anyway, I'm sure it would have better edge grip, so can't hurt. But the flipside of that is with the taller tire, your gearing will be taller again, so with your 46 tooth rear sprocket you'd probably be at a wash in terms of gearing. But for sure use the 46 tooth rear sprocket if you have it.

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
How much room do you have in the axle adjuster? Its going to shorten wheelbase but if you use a 60 aspect tire it might rub the bodywork or swingarm.
Like mentioned above... a 15 tooth front will have a more dramatic effect.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Take a look in the paddock at what the fast guys are running for gearing. I can almost bet its stock, if not slightly taller. Why is this? Because the fast guys are carrying a lot of corner speed and the taller gearing helps maintain that through the corners. But, it does depend what track you're at too.

My first couple years racing, I ran super short gearing and my times were sub par at best. When I went back to stock gearing and extended the wheel base, I started coming into the turns faster, and carrying more speed, and my times dropped significantly. It was beautiful how such a small adjustment made a huge difference.

Give it a try though! I think you'll quickly find out what you like and what you don't.

If you want the perfect setup, you'll probably have to adjust ride height. But if you want quicker turn in, slapping on a 190 will do that. It's a taller tire, so it will make your turn in a bit faster, as your geometry is more ass up and nose down.

·
WTF?
73 Posts
One tooth up overall is the ticket. I run -1/-2 to get there though. You can slap that 46 you have on to see how you like the ratio. If you do, when it comes time to replace the chain and sprockets I would convert to -1/-2. The slight increase in wheel base and decreased leverage on the swing arm with the smaller gear set gives the R6 some needed stability. Everyone will have a different opinion on this though.

My bike came with -1/+2 and I absolutely hated it on the track. I'm lucky enough to have a top AMA crew chief as my track day provider and deferred to him. If he can put an R6 on the top step, I do what he says... There is one course where I may try -1/-1 and play with going longer than stock, but overall I love the bike just one tooth up.

·
Reads the rulez
2,252 Posts
Take a look in the paddock at what the fast guys are running for gearing. I can almost bet its stock, if not slightly taller. Why is this? Because the fast guys are carrying a lot of corner speed and the taller gearing helps maintain that through the corners. But, it does depend what track you're at too.

My first couple years racing, I ran super short gearing and my times were sub par at best. When I went back to stock gearing and extended the wheel base, I started coming into the turns faster, and carrying more speed, and my times dropped significantly. It was beautiful how such a small adjustment made a huge difference.

Give it a try though! I think you'll quickly find out what you like and what you don't.

If you want the perfect setup, you'll probably have to adjust ride height. But if you want quicker turn in, slapping on a 190 will do that. It's a taller tire, so it will make your turn in a bit faster, as your geometry is more ass up and nose down.
:stupic

I still don't know why people make massive changes from the OEM gearing for most road racing tracks in the US.

·
Post count is gay........
245 Posts
15/43 gearing, 190/55 tire combo are pretty near the stock sprockets/rear tire setup. I love this combo, but I'm not fast enough yet to fully realize the potential.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts