Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of taking the forks apart to change the seals and oil but ran into a problem. I can get the fork cap off but I can not get the jam nut loose to pull it off as well. Any tips?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And to be more specific I can get either the jam nut or fork cap loose but not at the same time...

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NVM. I applied pressure upward to the bottom of the nut and was able to break the sucker loose. Carry on.

·
Stunt Rider
7,982 Posts
I had the same problem when I did my buddy's bike.

·
Stunt Rider
7,982 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I have that video. He unscrews it with his fingers haha.

For anyone who wants to know I figured out a good way to get it off. Apply about 5 to 10 layers of electrical tape all the way around the rod under the jam nut. Then use some pliers to grip the electrical tape. This should give you enough resistance to unscrew the jam nut. Then take off the tape and continue on. Process is straight forward if you don't spend a ton of time fighting those two nuts like I did.

·
Stunt Rider
7,982 Posts
Jam nut is a bitch.

·
Yamaha Blue in any color
3,254 Posts
What year forks? On the newer ones where I can not get a crescent wrench on the cap assembly (06+) I put a socket on the preload adjuster and nudge the jam nut loose. I use the same method tightening the jam nut after double checking the rebound clicks.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What year forks? On the newer ones where I can not get a crescent wrench on the cap assembly (06+) I put a socket on the preload adjuster and nudge the jam nut loose. I use the same method tightening the jam nut after double checking the rebound clicks.
It's an 06r. I tried that to no avail. I finally got it off with the electrical tape method a couple posts up. It's not the easiest of designs Yamaha came up with for sure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts