Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Touchdown!
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
Lol.

A few folks have already chimed in, and I just had to go back and reread what people wrote.

Back to saving. *** Checks the change jar! ***

·
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!
4,809 Posts
dunflops feel like your ridding on the street in the rain..... having to use the outer rubber to feel the grip

poorellis feel like your riding in the dirt with a flat tyre.... having to use the carcass to feel the grip

each to their own, personally I cant stand the feeling of dunflop but my buddy beside me cutting the same laps cant stand poorelli

and everyone has a different skill level, if your coming back in and the slicks are colder than when you took the warmers off you need to ride harder or stay on cut slicks ( the cut slicks assist in generating a bit of heat)

just my 2 cents
wow you must be really super skilled then. I bet you dont race MotoAmerica because you really cant stand the feel of Dunlops...right?
Thats the only thing keeping you off the grid there... right? :surprise:\
Otherwise you'd qualify on pole if you could run anything but a spec tire...lol

Get a ****ing clue dude... cut slicks? You cant be ****ing serious...lol.

Id bet you $5,000 you could not tell the difference between a pirelli, michelin, or dunlop if all you did was get on a bike shod with any of those and rode it to the best of your ability.

·
Registered
12 Posts
wow you must be really super skilled then. I bet you dont race MotoAmerica because you really cant stand the feel of Dunlops...right?
Thats the only thing keeping you off the grid there... right? :surprise:\
Otherwise you'd qualify on pole if you could run anything but a spec tire...lol

Get a ****ing clue dude... cut slicks? You cant be ****ing serious...lol.

Id bet you $5,000 you could not tell the difference between a pirelli, michelin, or dunlop if all you did was get on a bike shod with any of those and rode it to the best of your ability.
Oh look I have a Dunlop hat on! racing in a dunlop series!... oh and there is even a tv camera in front of my face which means I must have ridden well on a tyre I don't like.

I live in AUS btw and the worlds bigger than your back yard champ

would you like to pay the $5k by paypal or bank transfer ?

Attachments

·
Touchdown!
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Yeah. I learned a while back that the Pirelli Supercorsa SC'X' is the same as the slick with grooves cut for DOT requirements. Some sanctioned racing bodies mandates DOTs. I also learned that as well. Actually, I think I learned most of that in this thread.

·
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!
4,809 Posts
Oh look I have a Dunlop hat on! racing in a dunlop series!... oh and there is even a tv camera in front of my face which means I must have ridden well on a tyre I don't like.

I live in AUS btw and the worlds bigger than your back yard champ

would you like to pay the $5k by paypal or bank transfer ?
I must have missed the part of where we set this up & you were able to tell what tire was on the bike you were riding? :wink: Too bad you missed the Dunlop testing @ Barber this year.

You would be some kind of savant if you could tell which tire was which from simply riding. :fact

·
Reads the rulez
2,236 Posts
Until you learn you can't compare Q3 pressures to the Dunlop slicks...well, there's no point in going any further. lol

·
Touchdown!
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
That only comes from experience, trial and error, testing, and personal preference. I hypothesized after reading various sources in regards to MotoGP and MotoAmerica pressures, and concluded they run somewhere between 21-28 psi cold depending on track conditions, ambient temperatures, geographic location, asphault surface roughness, tire manufacture, flex, and a bunch of other parameters.

A Q3 and a N-Tec will definately have two different distinct recommended pressures as they are worlds apart in performance. They behave differently, and they were engineered with different sets of parameters regarding operating temperatures. I never knew how far my Thermodynamics and Heat & Mass Transfer classes would play in regards to everything around me. I quickly learned in my senior year.

·
Thread Killer...
49 Posts
Some people like a firm/stiff carcass while others like a carcass that's soft and flexible.
:fact

Dunlop's have the stiff carcass. That is one of the reasons with the Ntecs run such lower pressure in the rear. I run the KR451 super soft rear at 23 cold/25 hot at COTA, H2R, Cresson, etc.

I know a lot of people that like Dunlop or Michelin, or Pirelli, or Bridgestone, but I don't know anyone that likes them all.

·
Touchdown!
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #50 (Edited)
Looking at the money I don't have saved, and thinking about tires, next season I'll just have to buy a set of each competing tire to see which ones I prefer.

It's between the Dunlop N-Tec 7455 / 0455 and the Pirelli Diablo Superbike SC2 or SC3. Hopefully I have some money by then.

·
Touchdown!
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Mannn,

Between picking up a new set of track boots out of necessity, and needing warmers, slicks, new chain and sprocket, it gets ugly quick. That's like a Madison right there. Sheesh!

·
Touchdown!
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I'll start by saying, I spoke to a couple of people, one who actually races. Although they've never been on a SC3, they said that the SC3 wouldn't be their cup of tea. In contrast, I spent hours reading reviews, performing research, and then ultimately reaching a buying decision. I was looking at the SC2s and SC1s as well. I look at it this way, I'm not starting with their highest rated performance tire, and this gives me room to grow later.

I went with the SC3. My understanding is, it will have more grip than a Supercorsa SP V2, and now I can gather what a slick feels like. I will be using warmers with these when the time comes, and I'll give feedback in comparison to the SP V2. I see it as, we all have to start somewhere.

·
Touchdown!
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
An update as this question has been brought up before.

So, despite how cold it is outside, I decided to test fit the SC3s with my chain and sprocket to see if it'll fit while in my somewhat-warm garage. To my surprise, I can run the slicks with my current setup, and the warmers fit. This is using a 180/60.

I have the stock front and rear sprocket (16/45), and the only thing difference is I have a RK (O/W/X) Ring Gold chain (I forget which model exactly) - it was an expensive one. I know it was longer than stock, but then it was cut to fit when I replaced my OEM chain. I don't know how many links are there, so I have to go and count them. I'm guessing 114. I was able to place the rear adjusters at the 2.5 line mark (which equated to an ~19mm spacing between the end of the swing arm and the inside portion of the adjuster). This allowed for the chain to maintain about 1.0" worth of slack as the manual reccomends. Now I just have to see how it handles in comparison to the 180/55 SP V2s.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I went from Q3s to Racetek RR's (Soft front/Medium rear). The Q3s never really gave me alot. The Q3s were consistent and never caused me problems but the Racetek's feel like another level in comparison. I know they are not quite the same class of tire but have enjoyed the Racetek's alot. I like the feedback I get from the Raceteks on the front. They don't give alot until I'm getting near their limit. I had a day on some Pirelli slicks and found them very predictable, but as i was borrowing a mates GSXR600 for the day I wasn't to keen on finding their limits. The feel and wear seemed good and it would appear I could get them warm enough to perform. So next stop is a set of Dunlop slicks next week. I'm looking forward to experiencing the different feel with a tire that uses such a lower pressure on the rear.

·
Touchdown!
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)
Supercorsa SP V2 vs Superbike SC3

Yesterday I was able to ride on my SC3 slicks for the first time.

My first few sessions were on my 180/55 SP V2s. They didn't feel as grippy as they did when they were new as they were heat cycled to hell. The confidence was still there, just not like they were when they were fresh.

I slapped my 180/60 SC3s slicks on during lunch. Right away after my first session I realized how much taller and more grip at lean angle is available. You can get a lot more lean angle with these. I checked my tires and still had like 10mm of unused edge left after my first session. Wow. After the next session, I was down to like 4-5mm of unused tire. By the end of the day, I had like 3mm of unused tire. Now I know I can carry a lot more speed and lean angle with these. I didn't get my suspesnion readjusted, but I think I will to accomdate for the taller tire. The confidence was there even over the bumps and uneven parts of the track.

In addition, I wasn't pushing my bike as hard as I was a Laguna Seca, but I could tell you can throw a hand full of throttle at these things while leaned over, and they'll say "no problem, I'll hold you upright!"

There was no slipping, loads of stability, and it looks like the wear on them is non-existent after 3 sessions.

I'll have to push them in the future to see if the are equal to or surpass the Supercorsa SP V2s, but I'm thinking they are just a notch higher in term of grip and feel.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts