Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I have another question

Jason or anyone

I got another question about this. Per http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/269/255/Motorcycle-Article/2008-Yamaha-R6-First-Ride.aspx

They say Despite its nearly identical appearance, underneath that slick new bodywork lies an entirely new chassis. Everything from the fork, lower triple clamp, frame, shock, swingarm and even the subframe has been reworked in order to extract maximum handling performance out of the slightly-heavier 366-lb machine (claimed dry weight).

Will my 06 (V) Ohlins rear shock mount up without any modifications and will my 06 (V) front forks work on the revised 08 lower triple clamp and Fork outer tubes are 10mm longer (allowing for greater ride height adjustment) and spring rate has been increased by 2.5% (from 8.8 to 9.0 N/mm.)

Thanks,

Yes sir the 06-10 motors are all exactly the same.

·
OMRRA #79
1,392 Posts
Yes both your shock and your forks will bolt right on to the 08+. I can see why you would want to mount that Ohlins but why do you want to put your older forks on? Cartridge forks are the shit!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jason,

I have the Ohlins 25mm drop in cartridges

Thanks,

Yes both your shock and your forks will bolt right on to the 08+. I can see why you would want to mount that Ohlins but why do you want to put your older forks on? Cartridge forks are the shit!

·
iRun
33,317 Posts
You sure about that one? 08+ forks are 10mm longer than 06-07 ones..

·
OMRRA #79
1,392 Posts
You sure about that one? 08+ forks are 10mm longer than 06-07 ones..
10mm longer but the same circumfrence, length has nothing to do with them fitting in the tripples. I researched it when I was deciding weather to go with an 08+ or stick with the 06 so I can run both the 600 SS and the 600 Senior SS this year.

·
My R6 eats you.
7,563 Posts
Yeah but you'll have more rake now and you'll be putting a greater load on the front under braking.

·
OMRRA #79
1,392 Posts
Yeah but you'll have more rake now and you'll be putting a greater load on the front under braking.

Truthfully I have never paid enough attention to know where the fast guys on the 08+'s have their forks set in the tripples, but I doubt they are using all 10mm's that are available on the new forks? I know the caps are usualy well above the top tripple and if my memory serves me correctly maby a few mm's of fork tube as well? That is in no way any type of viable information its just a guess. Anyone riding an 08+ that can chime in here?

·
iRun
33,317 Posts
I have an 08... They're not flush, but they're definitely using some of the fork length.

I'm just sayin, I wouldn't hot swap 06-07 forks with newer ones.. Unless you got a STUPID good deal on some aftermarket ones and wanted to MAKE it work.

·
RIP Super Sic
3,209 Posts
I actually had to buy a set of 08-09 forks cus I got a good deal on a TTX and 25mm carts but they are for 08-09 and my track bike is a 07. I actually just got a whole complete set of forks with tripples just so I can take off my old front end and just mount the new one.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yes sir the 06-10 motors are all exactly the same.
Lol? Umm I hope you're not talking about R6's.. Because they arnt.

The throttle bodies are completely different from 06-07 and 08+, the engine internals are slightly modified, and it uses a completely different ECU and wiring harness... Both motors however will bolt into both frames.

·
Premium Member
12,093 Posts

The throttle bodies are completely different from 06-07 and 08+, the engine internals are slightly modified, and it uses a completely different ECU and wiring harness... Both motors however will bolt into both frames.
I think he was referring to the mounts.

·
OMRRA #79
1,392 Posts

ECU and throttle bodies have nothing to do with the motor itself. And What are you refering to as the internals being slightly modified? EDR the shop that built my motor told me there are no diffrences internaly other then some oiling ports being opened up?

·
I Race my R6
291 Posts
Yeah the blocks are identical and bolt up no problems The only differences in the motors are oiling holes in the bearings, rods & pistons and a minor change to the cams duration. You can swap the '06-'07 & '08+ anyway you want (putting a '06-'07 on a '08 + bike and vice versa) Either way will work. You can't mix and match the ECU/harnes/airbox/throttle bodies/fuel pump tank,etc. as they won't match up with connections. In '06 the trick upgrade was to swap in 13:1 JE pistons to bump up compression from the 12.8:1. The factory did this stock in '08.

Also there is no clearance issues in the frame as they are identical except that a brace was removed just under the airbox in the intake and a thick rib in the headstock. So there is no clearance issues with the swap with the exception of tank clearance.

I've done a full up coversion and know what fits or works.

Secondly, the '06-'07 forks will work fine in the '08 + triples. The '08+ ran an approx. 15mm stick out on the top of the triple. The '06 had approx. 5mil stick out. (your missing 10 mil's) True there is a slight geometry change in the front end, however this is easily compensated but adjusting your front preload or your rear ride height. I rode this package as well last season on one of my bikes, works fine as well. If your putting the '08+ forks in the older '06-'07 bike you will need to soften the front end slightly to compensate for the change in stock spring rates or just ride it as is in stock form won't hurt.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If I use the Ohlins Rear shock ride height spacers I should be able to compensate for the 10mm diff between the 2008 R6 (V) forks and the 06 (V)
From what Ohlins USA tells me is that the ohlins 5mm ride Height spacers will raise the bike about 8mm.
Can anyone verify this?

Yeah the blocks are identical and bolt up no problems The only differences in the motors are oiling holes in the bearings, rods & pistons and a minor change to the cams duration. You can swap the '06-'07 & '08+ anyway you want (putting a '06-'07 on a '08 + bike and vice versa) Either way will work. You can't mix and match the ECU/harnes/airbox/throttle bodies/fuel pump tank,etc. as they won't match up with connections. In '06 the trick upgrade was to swap in 13:1 JE pistons to bump up compression from the 12.8:1. The factory did this stock in '08.

Also there is no clearance issues in the frame as they are identical except that a brace was removed just under the airbox in the intake and a thick rib in the headstock. So there is no clearance issues with the swap with the exception of tank clearance.

I've done a full up coversion and know what fits or works.

Secondly, the '06-'07 forks will work fine in the '08 + triples. The '08+ ran an approx. 15mm stick out on the top of the triple. The '06 had approx. 5mil stick out. (your missing 10 mil's) True there is a slight geometry change in the front end, however this is easily compensated but adjusting your front preload or your rear ride height. I rode this package as well last season on one of my bikes, works fine as well. If your putting the '08+ forks in the older '06-'07 bike you will need to soften the front end slightly to compensate for the change in stock spring rates or just ride it as is in stock form won't hurt.

·
I Race my R6
291 Posts
If I use the Ohlins Rear shock ride height spacers I should be able to compensate for the 10mm diff between the 2008 R6 (V) forks and the 06 (V)
From what Ohlins USA tells me is that the ohlins 5mm ride Height spacers will raise the bike about 8mm.
Can anyone verify this?
Well in a word..yes. Now based on your earlier post your running '06 forks in a '08 triple with a '06 (non-ttx shock) in the rear. I would not worry about the 10mm difference with this combination. The 10mm longer fork is fork more travel in the front end. Since your running a '06 set-up on a '08 bike, just simplify it an run a '06 set-up. I ran with approx. 2mm of stick out from the triple (measuring from the 50mm diameter fork cap) This will get you roughly to your stock installed height, which is roughly 10mm lower than the '08 forks stock installed height.

If you want the fancy ohlins shim have at 'er. Simple flat washers will do the trick of a shim (measure them prior to install to track). I ran with about 6mm out back. with the dunlops (tall tire) and with about 8-10mm out back with the pirelli's to get a good balance. Keep an eye on your front zip tie as you are transfering weight to the front of the bike shiming the rear and you may need to add a little preload. You can play with more or less shims in the rear by looking at tire wear to get a good balance on the bike front/back. Becareful you don't use too many shims as you could lose the structural integrity of the bolt by not having enough threads to torque. If your running out of room and want to add more shims than you will need to compensate by increasing the fork stick out in the front.

Hope this helps ya !

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks,

AWESOME Info

Well in a word..yes. Now based on your earlier post your running '06 forks in a '08 triple with a '06 (non-ttx shock) in the rear. I would not worry about the 10mm difference with this combination. The 10mm longer fork is fork more travel in the front end. Since your running a '06 set-up on a '08 bike, just simplify it an run a '06 set-up. I ran with approx. 2mm of stick out from the triple (measuring from the 50mm diameter fork cap) This will get you roughly to your stock installed height, which is roughly 10mm lower than the '08 forks stock installed height.

If you want the fancy ohlins shim have at 'er. Simple flat washers will do the trick of a shim (measure them prior to install to track). I ran with about 6mm out back. with the dunlops (tall tire) and with about 8-10mm out back with the pirelli's to get a good balance. Keep an eye on your front zip tie as you are transfering weight to the front of the bike shiming the rear and you may need to add a little preload. You can play with more or less shims in the rear by looking at tire wear to get a good balance on the bike front/back. Becareful you don't use too many shims as you could lose the structural integrity of the bolt by not having enough threads to torque. If your running out of room and want to add more shims than you will need to compensate by increasing the fork stick out in the front.

Hope this helps ya !

1 - 20 of 28 Posts