Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got a pair of shogun no cuts and they didn't come with detailed instructions. can anybody help me out? pix would be awesome.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I just finished this about an hour ago... Have to do the tail... But I did take pictures... Hopefully I can post the instructions tonight....

Rubber side down...

MDR

·
Registered
66 Posts
Ok here it is--I hope the pics are not too big....
go to the bottom and download the shogun zip.

You will need a 5/16 allen wrench or equivalant tool in order to remove the bolts.

The left side slider bracket is the shorter of the two.

On the right side all you have to do is remove the one hex screw above the sticker deltaboxIII. Pull the fairing away and continue.

If you have any questions regarding the pictures let me know..

http://home.earthlink.net/~mark.rodriguez/

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey mdr,

i just installed my sliders. i couldn't tighten down the large bolt, that's different from all the rest on my right fairing. did you have the same problem? it seems as if the offset is too thick to fit between the frame and fairing with the bolt tightened down all the way.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hey QuikR6,

I personally did not have any match up problems with the bolts being too long or too short.

The right side is the longer bolt so you must have the right one in... If I were you---and remember I am not there to see how its put in-- I would compare the size of your bolt like I did in photo '2 left-3' to make absolutely sure the bolt is proper size. If it is the correct size, spray some wd-40 on the threads and make sure its getting all the way in. If not run to home depot and get the same size head with the right length. Just eye ball it like I did in the photo... Hope this helps
:cheers

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i didn't have problems installing the sliders. i have the right bolts on the right sides. i had a problem reinstalling the right fairing. there's a large bolt for the right fairing, the one closest to the engine mount bolt where the slider goes into. i couldn't tighten down the large fairing bolt all the way, because the offset was in the way. it's too thick.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Sorry QuikR6,

My mistake...

I did not have any problem with the fairing fitting back together after I installed the slider with the bolt supplied... I only removed the hex screw by the deltabox III sticker... It went back together fine... :drink

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i think i have to rotate the offset with the slider just a little bit clockwise. that might provide more clearance for the fairing. it's worth a try.

·
Registered
54 Posts
hey quik

i just installed my frame sliders and am having the same issue with the right side offset being a little too thick...

i tried repositioning the slider to gain more clearance, but with no significant difference.

what did you finally do? i'm thinking of just dealing with it. got the fairing bolt as tight as possible without damaging the plastic and the look...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hey r6grrl,

i basically did what you just did. i couldn't gain anymore clearance, so i just carefully tightened down the bolt and left it alone. i periodically chech the bolt for looseness and re-tighten, if necessary.

·
Registered
54 Posts
k, i'll leave it then and periodically check for looseness..

now if i can only get this dang clutch slider on--seem to have every other socket but the right one... any1 know the exact size of the bolt nut?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
it's a funny thing you should ask r6grrrl, i just installed my clutch slider YESTERDAY. i used a 27 MM metric socket for the OEM bolt and a 24 MM socket to install the shogun clutch slider bolt. it takes a lot of muscle to loosen the OEM bolt. i used a pipe over the ratchet handle to get some more torque.

by the way, i spray painted the left frame slider bolt, the one is used as an engine mount bolt black, so it's less noticeable. i used flat black spray paint. it looks great. just my $0.02

·
Registered
54 Posts
quikr6 said:
it's a funny thing you should ask r6grrrl, i just installed my clutch slider YESTERDAY. i used a 27 MM metric socket for the OEM bolt and a 24 MM socket to install the shogun clutch slider bolt. it takes a lot of muscle to loosen the OEM bolt. i used a pipe over the ratchet handle to get some more torque.

by the way, i spray painted the left frame slider bolt, the one is used as an engine mount bolt black, so it's less noticeable. i used flat black spray paint. it looks great. just my $0.02
yesterday huh? what a trip// thanks for the numbers--really saved me a huge headache of fishing around for the correct sizes.

i actually didn't have a problem with the OEM bolt for this. it came loose pretty easily. i DID cuss the hell out of the frame bolt on the left hand side when i was installing my left frame slider...almost broke my wrist with that one

i think painting the bolts flat black is a great idea. i'll probably do it in a week or so--right now i'm just happy i finally got all the sliders on :jump

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
just for clarification. . .take the bolt off the bike and then spray paint it. DO NOT spray paint the bolt while it's on the bike! unless, you have a way to prevent accidentally spray painting your R6. where are you located?

·
Registered
54 Posts
quikr6 said:
just for clarification. . .take the bolt off the bike and then spray paint it. DO NOT spray paint the bolt while it's on the bike! unless, you have a way to prevent accidentally spray painting your R6. where are you located?
LOL... um yeah, i've become quite fond of the liquid silver :mrgreen:

seriously though, thanks for the forewarning. you never know what :boob you could be dealing with. i had thought i would wait til next week to deal with removing slider, but i got my lazy ass to do it late last night...and i'm very glad since it looks great! btw - i'm in san francisco

:idea: if one were so inclined, one could cover up the rest of the bike with some drop cloth|wrapping paper and tape

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
no way. my parents live in san francisco and i grew up there. i'm going to grad school at chico state, but i visit my parents every now and then. which high school did you go to?

·
Registered
54 Posts
quikr6 said:
no way. my parents live in san francisco and i grew up there. i'm going to grad school at chico state, but i visit my parents every now and then. which high school did you go to?
small world :cheers

i went to [ brace yourself ] BALBOA :twisted:
**disclaimer, i was accepted to lowell but turned it down for bal due to some communist-based theories about high school life at the time :mrgreen:

where and when did you attend HS ? i must admit, i wasn't a big fan of those years. but now you have me reminiscing about college....

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
no sh*t, i went to burton, just down the road. i did my undergrad at UCLA. i'm going to chico state for grad school. you?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts