Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
BullsEye Vinyl
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to install a new set of D3 grips by following the instructions here.

Can anyone explain how to use the air compressor during installation? I am trying but the metal collar prevents the grip from "inflating". The middle sections however, blows up quit a bit but I still cannot slide the grips on because of the metal collars. Is there some trick I'm missing?

·
Le Troll
3,335 Posts
I literally just installed mine yesterday.
Don't use the compressor, it's a waste of time.

Here is the easy way:

1. remove bar ends
2. remove old grips (I had to cut them off)
3. scrape old grip residue of handle bars
4. spray hairspray on handlebars and inside new grips (acts as a lube, and as an adhesive once dried, and it works great)
5. Slide grips on and position them how you like.
6. replace bar ends
7. Let dry, I only waited half an hour but I had to reposition them once so I suggest waiting an hour minimum.

All I needed was my hex key set, scissors, hairspray, and my girlfriend (she is awesome, but optional for this install)

·
candy red
7,505 Posts
I literally just installed mine yesterday.
Don't use the compressor, it's a waste of time.

Here is the easy way:

1. remove bar ends
2. remove old grips (I had to cut them off)
3. scrape old grip residue of handle bars
4. spray hairspray on handlebars and inside new grips (acts as a lube, and as an adhesive once dried, and it works great)
5. Slide grips on and position them how you like.
6. replace bar ends
7. Let dry, I only waited half an hour but I had to reposition them once so I suggest waiting an hour minimum.

All I needed was my hex key set, scissors, hairspray, and my girlfriend (she is awesome, but optional for this install)
pics of said gf or :BS:BS!

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I know a girl that plays black ops and owns a bike........ owned

·
Registered
673 Posts
i think this sums it up:

·
Riding his own ride...
4,639 Posts
The air compressor way up the grip is the best way. The problem with using hairspray or soapy water is that when it rains be careful because if water gets down in there your grip can get very slippery and slip off while wet. This is why the air compressor is the best method and if you really want a firm grip use the driven grip glue with it. If you don't have a compressor then use the soapy water or hairspray method, but just realize if it gets wet out you need to really pay attention to the grips.

·
Just another r6'er
955 Posts
for my rizoma grips i just slipped them on, tightened up the allen bolts and they haven't budged.

·
Just another r6'er
955 Posts
Driven ≠ Rizoma
true that, but from what people have said about them they are basically the same, so i thought they may have had the bolts as well.

·
BullsEye Vinyl
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
In case anyone else comes to this thread looking for help...

The left side grip does not seem to be sticking. I can still twist it. I'm going to go pick up some grip glue tomorrow.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts