Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

I bought an M4 y pipe for my r6. The guy I bought it from was going to help me with installation but he bailed on me. I tried calling several motorcycle shops and they all told me they won't install it because it requires to cut the headers and I don't have any tools to do it myself and am afraid of messing it up like I always do.

Do any of you guys have an idea where I can take it to get it done? I live in central Florida.

·
Yamaha 4 Life
514 Posts
I just did this over the weekend and it wasnt hard at all and didnt requite any crazy tools.

You simply remove the header and muffler box assembly from the bike, then use a normal hacksaw to cut off the muffler box right above the welds. It takes some work, but with a little sweat, you will get it off. Do yourself a favor and wear gloves. I didnt and have two nice sized blisters to prove it.

Once you have cut it off, you can rent an angle grinder from Home Depot (cost me like $30 for an hour or so) and then grind off the welds. Do yourself a favor and wear eye protection and ear protection or you may end up with a bothersome ringing in the ears for an hour or so after you are done. Ask me how I know :p

You can find detailed, easy to follow instructions here if you are interested in pursuing this:

http://www.m4exhaust.com/products/art/systems/R6-08/YA-MBEKR606-Instructions.pdf

·
Yamaha 4 Life
514 Posts
Call me crazy, but I'd take it to an exhaust shop.
To each their own, I guess.

I have always done all the work on my vehicles myself as I enjoy wrenching.

This was a fairly easy job that took little time and effort. The "hardest" part was renting the angle grinder and then returning it!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What do you guys think if I sell The y pipe on here and get a full exhaust? Could I get most of my money back? I paid about $170 for it so I'm thinking $150 is a good price?

·
Yamaha 4 Life
514 Posts
What do you guys think if I sell The y pipe on here and get a full exhaust? Could I get most of my money back? I paid about $170 for it so I'm thinking $150 is a good price?
It should sell quick for $150 if its brand new. Cheapest I have seen it offered is on Motomummy and from some eBay vendor who both sell it for $165 shipped.

You do realize a full exhaust is markedly more expensive, right?

Also, I hope you plan to do some tuning for this new setup.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It should sell quick for $150 if its brand new. Cheapest I have seen it offered is on Motomummy and from some eBay vendor who both sell it for $165 shipped.

You do realize a full exhaust is markedly more expensive, right?

Also, I hope you plan to do some tuning for this new setup.
I'm hoping to find a used one for around $800. That way it will be close to the same price if I went mid pipe + a graves slip on and I can sell my stock exhaust and headers. And yes I'll get a ECU flash.

·
nom nom nom nom nom nom
1,251 Posts
To each their own, I guess.

I have always done all the work on my vehicles myself as I enjoy wrenching.

This was a fairly easy job that took little time and effort. The "hardest" part was renting the angle grinder and then returning it!
I agree, I would do it myself. However, the kind of person posting a thread like this isn't exactly like you and I. Also, just buy the damn tools. Something like an angle grinder can come in handy. The only tools I rent are the ones I can't see myself ever using again within the next couple years, or things I don't have a place to store (like a brush mower or a log splitter).

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
I'm hoping to find a used one for around $800. That way it will be close to the same price if I went mid pipe + a graves slip on and I can sell my stock exhaust and headers. And yes I'll get a ECU flash.
You will be lucky to get $50 from selling your stock exhaust. I still don't see what's so hard about cutting right at the weld.
If money is a big concern what you are doing with the mid pipe is the cheapest.

I agree, I would do it myself. However, the kind of person posting a thread like this isn't exactly like you and I. Also, just buy the damn tools. Something like an angle grinder can come in handy. The only tools I rent are the ones I can't see myself ever using again within the next couple years, or things I don't have a place to store (like a brush mower or a log splitter).
I must be the only idiot on here with a log splitter :p

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You will be lucky to get $50 from selling your stock exhaust. I still don't see what's so hard about cutting right at the weld.
If money is a big concern what you are doing with the mid pipe is the cheapest.

I must be the only idiot on here with a log splitter :p
$50 including the headers?

·
Yamaha 4 Life
514 Posts
Also, just buy the damn tools. Something like an angle grinder can come in handy.
I know, I know...you are 100% correct. I figured it would be super cheap to rent one out but when I saw the bill was $32 for just an hours rental, I was kicking myself in the ass for not just buying one. Lesson learned.

Sounds about right to me. Most people dont want or need OEM exhaust components.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Also, just buy the damn tools. Something like an angle grinder can come in handy.
I know, I know...you are 100% correct. I figured it would be super cheap to rent one out but when I saw the bill was $32 for just an hours rental, I was kicking myself in the ass for not just buying one. Lesson learned.

Sounds about right to me. Most people dont want or need OEM exhaust components.
MJS gives you like $80 if I remember correctly for your stock headers if you buy theirs. Then the stock slip on that's easily 100 right there

·
Premium Member
1,095 Posts
Bud, it's super simple. The hardest, and by hardest I mean the most annoying part, was just grinding. Will take about 1.5-2hrs for that. It's seriously one cut and then all the grinding. That's it. I grabbed a decent Milwaukee grinder at HD for like $35. Another $5 for hacksaw blades since I don't have a chopsaw, and that's it. You got this.

·
Yamaha 4 Life
514 Posts
Bud, it's super simple. The hardest, and by hardest I mean the most annoying part, was just grinding. Will take about 1.5-2hrs for that.
I want to say grinding off the welds took me 15 minutes or less. I was using a medium size angle grinder with a 7" metal grinding wheel, though.

·
Premium Member
1,095 Posts
Oh yeah, you burned through it. I just had a small grinder with a 5" wheel. I had to grind all the way around the pipe though, not just the welds. Fitment was super tight.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts