Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Shut up and RIDE!
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at T-Hill this past weekend with Keigwins in the B- group. I was going down the front straight, and an instructor pulls beside me and taps his tail for me to follow him. I was just curious why he did this. Was he trying to help me improve my lines, help me get faster, or was it something else? Felt pretty nice that he wanted me to follow him. HAHAHA!

·
My R6 loves me
321 Posts
Didn't they go over hand signals during the morning riders meeting?

With NESBA, tapping the tail means they want you to pull you off the racing line as a faster pack is coming. While a tap on the helmet means they want you to follow their line.

·
Premium Member
30,463 Posts
Didn't they go over hand signals during the morning riders meeting?

With NESBA, tapping the tail means they want you to pull you off the racing line as a faster pack is coming. While a tap on the helmet means they want you to follow their line.
nesba is backwards. :laugh

i tap my tail when i want a student to follow me. usually it's b/c i want them to mimic my lines on a few sections i've noticed said student having problems with. typically, a less experienced rider through a more technical part of the track.

if i want them to pit out, i'll tap my tail, then toss up a hand and get off the line.

·
NoAgendaRacing
517 Posts
nesba is backwards. :laugh
Even if NESBA is doing things differently, at least they are telling people in the riders' meetings. I believe TeamPromotion out here on the East Coast only talk about that in the beginners class. If the coaches aren't taking the time off track to show the "students" how they want to communicate on track then there is little point for them to be there.

·
Premium Member
30,463 Posts
take is easy, i was messin around.

but "tap on the tail" is the universal "follow me" - you see it in racing too when they want to stick together and make up ground.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,814 Posts

but "tap on the tail" is the universal "follow me" - you see it in racing too when they want to stick together and make up ground.
This.

Just curious, but which instructor was it? I know a few of those guys.... They're pretty cool. I'm sure Ricky Tan can vouch for that. I introduced him to a couple of them...:laugh

·
Registered
239 Posts
but "tap on the tail" is the universal "follow me" - you see it in racing too when they want to stick together and make up ground.[/QUOTE]

:fact

·
Sherman Connoisseur
26,450 Posts
This.

Just curious, but which instructor was it? I know a few of those guys.... They're pretty cool. I'm sure Ricky Tan can vouch for that. I introduced him to a couple of them...:laugh
Met more of them this weekend cause I crashed! LOL. Clive helped pick my bike up and followed me back to the pits. Nick reteched my bike. Luke is always awesome. :laugh

But OP yes they tap their tail when they want you to follow them and they give you a tow. They tend to do that when they see something you do and want you to fix it, or they think you can improve at certain spots at the track. Another instructor did that to my friend this weekend also.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I also like learning from the instructors when they tap their tail. I got that all weekend at NYST a few weeks ago with TPM. The instructor wanted me to follow his line at a higher pace, he also had mirrors so he was watching everything I was doing (brand new Panigale) and then we came back for chatting session. Less than 30 people at that track day and only 3 sessions, it was great! We did that all day, personal instruction for free.

I'm looking to ride with NESBA soon so ill have to keep the helmet tapping thing in mind (and of course listen during the ridersmeeting).

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,814 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Met more of them this weekend cause I crashed! LOL. Clive helped pick my bike up and followed me back to the pits. Nick reteched my bike. Luke is always awesome. :laugh

But OP yes they tap their tail when they want you to follow them and they give you a tow. They tend to do that when they see something you do and want you to fix it, or they think you can improve at certain spots at the track. Another instructor did that to my friend this weekend also.
Yeah tapping the tail means follow me, generally you can really benefit from utilizing the instructors. I have learned a lot in the short time I've been riding track just by getting towed by instructors and AFM racers that I know.

Don't forget about Blu, he's hilarious! It was my first time meeting Blu, but I usually have a beer with Luke and some of the others at the end of the day. We had dinner and drinks at Casa Ramos afterwards and Blu was there with the massage lady and some other folks. I really like Keigwins over Z2 simply because the instructors are all regular guys and aren't stuck up IMO.

·
Pobrecitos
19,911 Posts
yup he's helping you. i love stealing lines from instructors
Psssh, since when??? :laugh Don't make me pull ur card....

:laugh...My last TD at CVR, one of the instructors kept tapping his tail and for some stupid reason (brain fart?) I was thinking he was telling me to get off the bike more...Well, he kept tapping and I kept trying to get off the bike, that was until I realized what he was telling me.....GD, I never felt more stupid...:laugh

He had a good laugh at it too...:hammer.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts