Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there, first time post for me. Can anyone tell me if it will harm anything to run the 04 without the original instruments. Im going to race mine and want to fit different tacho and temp guage.
Cheers

·
Knee Draggin Poor Boy
1,238 Posts
Never tried it with an r6 but i know my buddies 954 CBR won't run with out the stock gauge cluster on it. Other than that just un plug it and try to start it. if it starts, it shouldent hurt anything.

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,815 Posts
im not too sure. ive never heard of anyone doing this. the stock unit also helps in displaying trouble codes. so i dont think its a wise idea to begin with.

·
Registered
166 Posts
It better run without the instruments cause next week when i get my bike rebuilt I am not gonna have it on the bike. I am gonna replace the stock gauges with my Veypor. The only thing I gotta figure out is if I can just tap the wire for the gas light and then hook an LED up to it or something so I know when my fuel is low.

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,815 Posts
oldracer said:
Dont want to crash damage them
if you gonna crash and damage the gauges also, i would say the bike is f**ked any way. so another $300 for a new speedometer isnt really much to the thousands of dollars of damage to the rest of the bike. not to mention to your medical bills.

besides doesnt your state require some type of odometer for your motorcycle?

so best bet is to just keep your stock instrument panel. its only around $300. new top of the line guages and someone to splice the wiring harness and wire them up would cost about the same. but i would think the only gauges would work is marine/boat gauges, weather proof.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My wife says shut your mouth you wanker. But i dont live in the states and where i come fron a dash costs just short of 2 grand

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
The best way to find out is to try to start it with the dash unplugged. It could be that there is a circuit that needs to be completed.

My CBR600 racebike wouldn't run without it, so I found one from a wrecked bike and used that. All I used from it was the tachometer.

·
Registered
850 Posts
njk27 said:
welchsm said:
TexasR6 said:
My CBR600 racebike
Blaspheme...
blasphemy........isnt it spelled like this
blas·phe·my ( P ) Pronunciation Key (blsf-m)
n. pl. blas·phe·mies

A contemptuous or profane act, utterance, or writing concerning God or a sacred entity.
The act of claiming for oneself the attributes and rights of God.
An irreverent or impious act, attitude, or utterance in regard to something considered inviolable or sacrosanct.

OR

blas·pheme ( P ) Pronunciation Key (bls-fm, blsfm)
v. blas·phemed, blas·phem·ing, blas·phemes
v. tr.
To speak of (God or a sacred entity) in an irreverent, impious manner.
To revile; execrate.

Can be either... :cheers

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,815 Posts
oldracer said:
My wife says shut your mouth you wanker. But i dont live in the states and where i come fron a dash costs just short of 2 grand
is this comment towards me? if so just sell the bike if you are too worried about crashing and costing you too much to fix.

like RatbikeR6 says "ride fast or go home!!!".

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
thats bad when your wife has to fight your battles for you and wanker is a pretty damn funny word if someone called me that id just laugh

1 - 20 of 21 Posts