Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here is my problem with insurance guys.

At the end of this month I am going to buy an 07 or an 08 r6 whichever one seems most fitting at the time. I need help purchasing insurance for the bike. This is where my questions start.

Lets start with my information. I am 18 years old, make decent money at a restaraunt, and live in southern california. Heres my dillema. At my age, it will be very hard near impossible to get full coverage motorcycle insurance without having somebody else help me getting the insurance. Sure, i could get partial coverage at the same price, but whats the use in having partial coverage? Im trying to convince my dad who is totally against helping me get a bike because if he helped me and god forbid something happened to me, he says he would never forgive himself. I can totally understand where he is coming from, but without his help getting full coverage insurance I wouldnt get anything out of my insurance. I would still pay the insurance, just he would sign his name as primary or secondary driver to the motorcycle.

Now my dad wants to know if he does this and something should happen to me and i get sued or taken to court or something like that, will he get screwed just because he is listed as insured under the policy, or will it all be on me. I know its kind of hard to understand but if any further clarification is needed, please let me know. I will accept all criticism and consider it thoroughly. Thanks alot guys.

-Tyler

·
Because I Can
2,325 Posts
I think you're best source for that information is the agent. It should have a clause in the policy about something like that, but if not get something in writting. Just shop around at different places telling them that you might have a cosigner so they can give you a quote with the cosigner helping.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Full coverage insurance on an 18 y/o in southern california? heh, good luck. State Farm will most likely be your best bet, but because of your age, I'll assume it will still be a huge premium.

·
Until the day comes
580 Posts
Why not just by a used bike for a cheaper amount then you will be able to do everything on your own. Everyone likes new things, but sometimes you give up some to make things easier on yourself.

·
Registered
37 Posts
im in da same situation as he is
im planning to buy a new r6 possible an 08
and im also 18 n live in socal
haha

·
Registered
325 Posts
Get a used bike or wait until you can afford to own one. I understand the desire to get a bike at 18, but the best thing you can have is patience.

·
Laugh. Love. Learn. Live.
657 Posts
I'm assuming you're financing this bike?

Are you aware that it's California law to have full coverage insurance if you're financing a vehicle?

You'll probably have trouble finding insurance that's not more expensive (monthly) than the bike itself. Anyway, all this being said, I'm 22 and insurance is a bit pricey for me in SoCal as well. My bike is insured (although I'm collecting on it because it was stolen in Oct.) through Culver Ins. They got me a rate that was 1/3 of what I was paying at first. They're up in Culver, CA, I think (go figure). And if you ever end up using them, you'll find that they actually just go through a company out in wisconsin or some shit.

By the way. Congrats on the bike. Don't ****ing kill yourself, though. They don't call it a superbike for nothing. And when you're on the roads here in SoCal, pretend you're invisible. Half the people won't see you anyway.

·
Daily Bike Commuter
104 Posts
When you get your bike and you're ready to insure it, gimme a ping. If you're willing to make a trip to the Downey area, I got a friend that pulled some nice strings to get me full coverage from State Farm. Took me down from 800+ at Progressive to 400ish.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Damn, when I was 18 i was in college just happy to have a meal that wasn't from the cafeteria.

State farm definately has low rates. I just switched all my insurance (except life) over to them yesterday. But considering that you're well under 25, I think state farm will still rape you on rates. Your best bet is to get a used bike and pay cash. An 00-05 R6 is still plenty fast. Make sure you get some medical insurance, and disability if you can afford it.

So for you I would suggest in this order:
1. used bike - paid for
2. liability insurance
3. medical insurance
4. DB insurance
5. comprehensive coverage
6. collision coverage

This is all just my opion. In the end it's your decision. Just make sure you can live with the choice you make.

·
Registered
328 Posts
exindust said:
2 words.

State Farm.

The cheapest quote I can get being 23 is 289 from progressive. All-State said 340, and Gieco said 382. Why is my rate so high just for liability? I don't have any speeding tickets, I've never made any claims, and I'm in a "Good Driver Tier" with Geico as of current. I got the policy without checking other places out first with Geico. I've had 3 years of on-road experience with motorcycles (got my license 3 years ago). Hmmm....

Anyways, good luck with finding Full Coverage man. Just get a used bike. You won't be beating yourself up when you lay down the 08. Plan on laying it down, just trust me.

·
Ridin' dirty...
155 Posts
It sucks how the insurance industry bases their standards around autos and justifies overcharging the shit out of people on bikes. For example, the fact that you can't have higher uninsured/underinsured limits than what you put on your liability...in a car, you can do a lot more damage on a bike, whereas if someone else is the one doing the damage, you'd obviously want more coverage for those who aren't insured or are underinsured. That annoys the piss out of me.

I was also told during one of my many recent conversations with an insurance agent that in the past two or three years there have been a lot of changes with motorcycle insurance, the most crippling (for us at least) is that instead of using the cc's on a bike to determine risk, now it's by category. Apparently the stats weren't in favor of sportbikes thanks to all of the irresponsible drivers and riders out there, and now we end up getting the shaft once the industry realized this.

*sigh*

I hate insurance, it's one of those necessary evils in life. :(

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thank you everybody for all of the advice. I cracked up on a few of the responses lol. I should mention some more things that forgot to list in my original topic.

First of all, I got a quote for progressive on an 03 r6 a while back for a 350 down payment and then 250 a month after that. I tried to get a loan from my credit union and they refused to give me a loan for 5000 due to my income being so low ( They didnt allow me to claim the money i make off tips, which is basically ALL of the money that I make because I am a server ). Also, I called statefarm a while ago and they have a good drivers policy in california which includes having your license for more than 3 years... which i dont have.

And gizm092 i may have to take you up on that hook up that you have, but im not sure if he would be be able to do anything for me. Everytime I try to get a bike it seems like it keeps getting push back and back. Maybe I should just hold off for a year or so untill i get one.... BUT I WANT ONE NOW! lol.

Trust me im not one of those kids who will go stunting at all either, i actually have good common sense but i will definatly treat the bike with the respect it deserves

·
Custom User Title
1,827 Posts
Wakeboarder11 said:
First of all, I got a quote for progressive on an 03 r6 a while back for a 350 down payment and then 250 a month after that. I tried to get a loan from my credit union and they refused to give me a loan for 5000 due to my income being so low ( They didnt allow me to claim the money i make off tips, which is basically ALL of the money that I make because I am a server )

do you claim all yoru tips to the IRS? i doubt it, thats why they can't say you really make that much :p

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Daredevil said:
do you claim all yoru tips to the IRS? i doubt it, thats why they can't say you really make that much :p
EXACTLY! Thats why its so frustrating because i have money in the bank but they just dont see it lol

1 - 20 of 27 Posts