Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
I eat YOUR r6
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i put a deposit on an r6 and i plan to pay some cash and finance the rest on my yamaha card,now ive heard that anything under 10000 they dont require you to have full coverage and the dealer said that they themselfs dont require any insurance at all to take it off the lot but im going to finance about 7500 of it on my card so i was wondering if i really do need full coverage (im in california) cuz ive heard you do have to and that you dont have to.....

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,812 Posts
i personally would get full coverage at least for the first year or so. another thing is since you are financing the bike, it may come in handy if you do lose it and the insurance claims it a total loss. that way the check they cut you could go to pay off the bike. as for me i paid my bike with cash but since it was my first new bike i was not gonna take a chance. besides the mechanics at the local yamaha dealer told me so many stories of bikes not making there first service in one piece. its not something to scare you just something to really consider. you could have over 20 years of riding experience under your belt but what about that cager next to you or the soccer mom behind you, how well does that driver drive?

·
I eat YOUR r6
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya but here in so cal theyre quoting me 4500/6mo and that is way out of line im 24 with a couple tickets but still im not gonna pay 9000 a year when the bike is only worth 10000 ya know?

·
I eat YOUR r6
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i shoped a couple but i know right when i tell them 05 r6 and my age that shits gonna be high plus im in so cal so i think thats a higher rate already............i dunno...........

·
I eat YOUR r6
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i shoped a couple but i know right when i tell them 05 r6 and my age that shits gonna be high plus im in so cal so i think thats a higher rate already............i dunno...........

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
munoxide said:
i put a deposit on an r6 and i plan to pay some cash and finance the rest on my yamaha card,now ive heard that anything under 10000 they dont require you to have full coverage and the dealer said that they themselfs dont require any insurance at all to take it off the lot but im going to finance about 7500 of it on my card so i was wondering if i really do need full coverage (im in california) cuz ive heard you do have to and that you dont have to.....
It is true you only have to carry liability, although on my '04 I also have comprehensive in case it gets stolen, which unfortunately is something to consider. I'm 22 with no tickets or wrecks and good credit. And I pay $460 a year for liability and comp, but that is in Oklahoma, which is alot cheaper than southern california.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
On my first 6, i lived in So Cal and they wanted to charge about that much
for insurance, and that being twice the monthly cost of the bike i was like
*** that! then two months later i laid it over in a hard left, it hurts two ways. 1 your in physical pain. 2 your still payin on a bike you cant ride!
think long and hard on that one. Id pay.

Manoah

·
Registered
167 Posts
this is the one shitty thing in owning an sportbike
let alone an r6. i was told that r6 tends to cost more
than others cuz of its record being totaled. i dunno how
true this is. i have an 04 and after patiently shopping for
weeks, i got one for 600 a year or so. i'm 36 with
no tkts, i agree with stone, try getting a full cov.
the added peace of mind makes riding a lot more fun
i had luck with farmers. who did you call so far
good luck

·
Registered
476 Posts
I dont know about financed (i own my bike)... but I have complete coverage on my 04 r6 here in socal via statefarm at 280.00 for 6 months. And thats a 100 deductable for theift and 1000 for collision.

At the rate bikes get stolen around here, I would get the full coverage.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Diffently go for the full coverage.....Im 19 years old with no tickets or accidents and i have 04 r6. I got the same outrageous rates as you got at first. Living in northern cali i was about to give up and then i tried state farm and they insured me for $480 for the year (full coverage) with $500 deductible. It gave me piece of mind still owing yamaha $5,000.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Mar892 said:
Diffently go for the full coverage.....Im 19 years old with no tickets or accidents and i have 04 r6. I got the same outrageous rates as you got at first. Living in northern cali i was about to give up and then i tried state farm and they insured me for $480 for the year (full coverage) with $500 deductible. It gave me piece of mind still owing yamaha $5,000.
DAMN kid! thats a really good rate, when i was 19 i couldnt get insured for shit in So Cal. i was gonna hafta sell the bike, but then i wrecked it!
Lesson learnt, i pay the man now!

Manoah

·
Registered
537 Posts
I am about to turn 21 and I am a step 21 driver as well now and I pay $1050/yr for full coverage (12 month policy, my insurance agent will only issue 12 month policies unless i turn in the plates and cancel for the winter) but I am in MA as well.

BE4TNUT

·
Registered
76 Posts
I pay $72.00 a month for full coverage with State Farm and I am 24 yrs. old w/ a clean driving record. They told me after I turn 25 in March it will drop. Also, my bike it financed through Yamaha, and they told me I didn't have to have any insurance for their financing(as long as it was under $10k), I only have to have liabilty insurance for state law requirements of Texas, but opted for the full coverage, just incase I needed it. I would suggest getting liabilty and comp(at least theft) to cover yourself.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.