Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got hit splitting lanes on the freeway here in Cali, was the drivers fault because he didnt look when he changed. Traffic was moving slow and so was I (25-35mph) the insurance company said it looked repairable, mostly plastic damage, seat, gas tank dented, headlights and turn signals. The frame does have some scratches on it. Ive been hearing from all my friends saying that if there is any damage (ie scratches) to the frame that it will be totaled. I'd prefer it being totaled because I owe more than the worth of the bike. Do you think that it would be totaled or can I push for it to be totaled since their is a scratch?

The reason i want it totaled was because i had a buyer willing to take over payments with all my riding gear but now I dont see anyone buying a bike without a squeaky clean title. Thoughts?

·
Registered
766 Posts
Usually if frame gets scratches they would total it. But i guess your bike is a 2013 right. If its just a little scratch they might not since the bike is new. The way i see it, its like this. If your insurance will pay for it, i would just get it fixed. The less money they spend, the less your insurance will raise. Also for the future a totaled bike on your insurance record wont look pretty. Now if the person who hit you will pay. I would try to total it and say unless they give u a new frame, u dont want the bike.

·
nova r6
3,228 Posts
So it was the drivers fault, his insurance should be covering the damage. The job of the insurance companies is to pay to repair your bike to the condition it was before the accident. Tell them that leaving the scratch on the frame is unacceptable, that it all either needs to be repaired or the bike needs to be totaled. Dont forget to claim whatever gear you had on as well, you have to replace all those things also if they got banged up in the accident.

·
wat?
722 Posts
Do you have gap insurance? Otherwise, if they total it and you owe more than what they consider it being worth, you still owe the balance to your lender... (e.g., if they think it's worth $5k to total and you still owe $7k, you will still owe your lender $2k after they total it).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you have gap insurance? Otherwise, if they total it and you owe more than what they consider it being worth, you still owe the balance to your lender... (e.g., if they think it's worth $5k to total and you still owe $7k, you will still owe your lender $2k after they total it).
I do have GAP insurance that is one good thing. Which helps out a lot because I bought the bike with absolutely nothing down 1 year and a half ago. Thanks for the input, my insurance company said that since it is so new (13') with so few miles (8700) that it should not be a total loss, but after the bike shop does their estimate i'll be sure to point out the marks in the frame. I rather be without a bike and not have to make payments this winter than to have it repaired and be much less than it was 5 days ago because of the accident.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Usually in these cases when its the other drivers fault, you dont need to contact your own insurance company. Especially if the driver admitted fault and his insurance is willing to pay for everything.

That way your insurance company doesnt get involved and your rates never go up.

Sucks that you are paying more than the bike is worth, you must have gotten a shitty APR. My suggestion is to sell it for as much as you can get once you get it back from repairs if they wont total it.

Next time you purchase, use your bank to finance the purchase, never use dealer predatory finance programs. They always work one over on you to make money on higher APR's

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
you're not gonna lawyer up? im sure you also have some pain due to accident. Good luck with everything op and please keep us updated. this could be a good info if anybody gets into the same situation as you

1 - 7 of 7 Posts