Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im about to turn 19 and motorcycle insurance for me is ridiculously high. Is it possible for my dad to be the insurance holder for my bike? If i get pulled over the bikes insured and thats all that matters right? help?

·
Custom User Title
1,827 Posts
ask your insurance agent?

it varies from company to company

i think most ask if other people will be riding it, and if so. who, then the rates change when they find out who it is. i know cause i used to insure mine, i had to sign a contract saying no one else was allowed to ride it, so it would make it cheaper.

·
Registered
141 Posts
If your talking about being pulled over then yes all you need is the piece of paper saying it's insured but it you crash it and the insurance only covers your dad which it would if only his name is on the policy then you are a$$ed out.... And for a 2009 and being 18 I assume it's financed ? So please don't , I crashed my 09 and had to fix it out of pocket because my wife was the only one covered!!!

2,458 Posts
If your talking about being pulled over then yes all you need is the piece of paper saying it's insured but it you crash it and the insurance only covers your dad which it would if only his name is on the policy then you are a$$ed out.... And for a 2009 and being 18 I assume it's financed ? So please don't , I crashed my 09 and had to fix it out of pocket because my wife was the only one covered!!!
that doesnt mean it is a fact for everyone. i had 2 bikes and my best bud rode my spare and he totalled it.. Grange insurance covered everything. even his medical bills. and all he had was a permit.. so it all differs.. especially state to state.. either ask an insurance rep or just have your dad insure it full boogy best coverage.. more than likely they will cover it if u wreck it. but i would ask all the same.

·
FBGM
62 Posts
well im 19 too and my dad is the policy person on my bike.

would much rather pay $947 a year than $1250.:toocool:

·
Premium Member
8,144 Posts
I bought my bike when i was 19 and paid cash on it...i havnt carried full coverage so just have liability and pay 120 a year and i'm currently 23

·
Registered
141 Posts
cool is your dad the only rider on your policy or did he add you on?
+1.... Is he the only person on the policy or is your name on there too ? My wife had to sign a paper stating she was the only driver, but you do need to ask you agent cause you can get screwed if that is the case... That extra $303.00 could potentially cost $1000's in the long run.

·
Registered
875 Posts
both me and my dad's names are on the insurance for my bike. i pay $380 a year for full coverage through state farm.
it doesn't matter if I wreck, he wrecks it, or what, it's covered either way.

·
I'd Flip it :popcorn:
16,747 Posts
Sweet Sig :fact

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thats awesome maybe I wont have to get rid of my bike after all! for LIABILITY farmers wanted a $10 grand deposit just for me

·
FBGM
62 Posts
uh well im on the policy for a explorer but not for a bike. i believe.
and that person who was talking earlier..

if you wreck or do anything your still covered..even if its under your dads name.

·
Registered
779 Posts
uh well im on the policy for a explorer but not for a bike. i believe.
and that person who was talking earlier..

if you wreck or do anything your still covered..even if its under your dads name.
umm not always and not in all states.
Wa is one of the states that if you are not on the policy and wreck it then you are SOL.
then again insurance is not mandatory up here on motorcycles.

and yes i know this for a fact cause i called my insurance agent up and asked if i could let my uncle use my bike while i was/am unable to ride. i was told that it didn't matter who it was my uncle my son my wife, since their names are not on the policy that what ever happens to the bike will have to be covered at my expense.

·
Nut 'N Bitch
1,736 Posts
20 yo... full coverage...07 r6...$250 deductibles....$299.03 a year... i like where i stand :D

·
Registered
61 Posts
im 18 and pay around 500 for full coverage for a 03 r6. i think if you take the msf course your insurance goes down 10 percent so that might help

1 - 20 of 27 Posts