Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I purchased an integrated tail light from motodynamic and when I opened my bike up to install it I ran into a complete wiring nightmare left by the previous owner of my 08 Yamaha R6. Here is a picture of what im looking at

http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=247017&stc=1&d=1423007320

As you can see, that brick thing im holding has melted and I have no idea what it is. It has wires going in but not out. The previous owner had eliminated the fender by putting on aftermarket tail light, turn signals, and flush mount turn signals.

http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=247017&stc=1&d=1423007320

Those 2 red spade connectors are what the rear turn signals are wired into, but there should be 2 plugs that connect into the turn signals so apparently they have been cut off.

http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=247033&stc=1&d=1423007590

There are 2 wires for each turn signal that are fed into the 2 red spade connectors.

http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=247041&stc=1&d=1423007672

I have no idea what those plastics things are. I assume they are for splicing wires together but i dont know why that is necessary.

http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=247049&stc=1&d=1423007800

http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=247057&stc=1&d=1423007800

And lastly I have pictured the motodynamic tail light itself. If someone could help me make sense of what all that wiring is and hopefully just maybe lead me in the right direction of what i should do to get my new tail light installed and working that would be much appreciated. I would even replace all of the wiring if possible. I hate seeing my baby in pieces, im sure you can all relate that :/

p.s. this is first forum post ever, so be easy on me :p

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
As an afterthought, It appears to me that i can plug in the tail light fine. that hasnt been tampered with. Its the blinkers that has me confused. And Im not sure where to connect that box looking thing pictured in the very last picture

·
I said biiiiiiiitch.....
528 Posts
What year? Looks like 2006-7 or 2008+ based on the shape of the tail light.

Edit: Nevermind, I read your post again.

·
I said biiiiiiiitch.....
528 Posts
Like my signature says, download the service manual for your bike. The last few pages at the very back will have a wiring diagram and a legend of what everything is.

Right turn signal (73) is Dark Green in, Black Ground
Left turn signal (74) is Chocolate in, Black Ground
Tail light (82) is Blue/Red Running Light, Yellow Brake Light, Black Ground

Hook the black box with the blue yellow up to the blue yellow on the tail light. My guess is that's a resistor to prevent hyper blinking. You should now have two 2 pin connections, and one 3 pin connection. It sound like you already found the 3 pin connects to the stock 3 pin, so your brake and running light should be working fine.

Take the other two blue and yellow connectors and hook them up to chocolate and dark green. I don't see the stock signal connectors anywhere. If they are there, they'll match the white rounded triangular connectors the blue and yellow wires have on them. If they aren't there, you'll have to splice the wires. After they're hooked up, check the signals. If they are backwards, swap them. There might be two black wires left over from the original turns signals. You don't need them. The new system shares a ground for both signals and the tail light (it's the black wire in the 3 pin).

Afterward you can cut out all the unused crap. Not sure what exactly the guy did, but it looks like he hooked into the brake/tail light using those cheap splicers. Do they go anywhere?

·
I said biiiiiiiitch.....
528 Posts
Do you know if the bike already has resistors or an electronic flasher? Did the old lights hyperblink? You may or may not need the black box depending on what's been done to the bike already.

EDIT: I take that back, he hooked into the signal and side marker running circuit for some reason. Not sure where that really thin purple wire goes in the bottom left of the photo that's taped to the other wires.

Also, the two connectors at the top left seem to be for the side marker lights. I don't think they're needed either. Like the signal ground, you can just tape them up so they don't connect to anything and leave them.

Finally, I labelled the tail light plug backwards, but I'm sure you've already found that.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay I think i've just about got this figured out. Today after work I went and cut out all the crap and wired up my integrated tail light. The tail light works fine, no issues there. I tested the blinkers without using the resistor box (thats what that black box is that I didnt know before) and the blinkers work but they just seem dull and not bright. Maybe this can be attributed to hyperblinking? I dont know. But tomorrow i plan on trying to wire the blinkers using the resistor box and see if that makes a difference. The only problem is that im going to have to cut the plugs off of the resistor box so that I can splice my blinker wires in. And here is where I am unsure. Each plug on the resistor box has a black/blue and black/yellow wire. Do i need the the black wires or can I just splice my green and chocolate blinker wires directly into the blue and yellow wires and tape off the black wires? Thanks in advance and thanks a lot for your help so far, its much appreciated!!!

·
I said biiiiiiiitch.....
528 Posts
I didn't notice those black wires before. Resistors are just one connection in and one out, which makes me think the box is more than just resistors, and those connections are probably required. Did your new tail light come with any instructions? I'm curious as to what that box is now.

If you want to test you could just grab some spare wires, strip the ends, and do a temporary hookup. You can go to the black wires that go with the dark green / chocolate and see if they are any brighter.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Let me see if I understand this. So it would black-black green-yellow and black-black chocolate-blue? It does come with very vague instructions but it doesnt directly say what that box is. it does mention in a side note that the resistor box can get hot while the turn signals are active and that worries me a bit. It worries me a bit because the previous black box that was in there got so hot that it melted and melted into the plastic and if it went on much longer it might have melted its way into my fuel injection computer

·
I said biiiiiiiitch.....
528 Posts
I'd be curious to see them.

That pairing sounds right. If they are blinking on the wrong side, swap the green to blue and the chocolate to yellow.

It would worry me a bit too. Theoretically, it should only warm up when the turn signals are on though. So as long as you don't leave them engaged at the side of the road for 1/2 hour it shouldn't be a problem. Theoretically.

I would at least try and mount it somewhere so that if it does melt into a big pile of shit it doesn't take anything expensive with it. ECU would be bad.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I tested the connections today and everything is working. I haven't hard wired everything yet but I plan on doing that tomorrow. The turn signals still look dim and not very pronounced but I guess that's what I get. Wiring the black box in didn't do anything other than dropping the voltage. Although there is something that caught my attention. When I measured the volts coming from the turn signal wiring without hooking them to anything it measured 7 volts. Is that normal? Aren't they supposed to be 12?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts