Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The undertail I just bought has LED's. I was told by the guy I bought it off , that I would not need an integrator? After some research here I found some post saying that my signals will blink different. What should I expect when I install this in a day or two and what can I do to fix the blinking problem.

Do I need to buy an integrator or can I wire in a resistor into the system?

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
Integrator = for your taillight. It makes one half of the taillight blink as a blinker.

LED blinking rate is fixed with a resistor. LED's have very little (almost no) resistance so when you add them to a circuit that "used to" use bulbs, the blink rate is much faster. So you add a resister to the line to slow it back down. These resistors can be found at any electronics store (radio shack, Frys, etc) They also sell a little resistor pack online.

So, yes, you should put in a resistor, no, you do not need an integrator. Now, if you are like me and have the Hotbodies Untertail with LED blinkers...I was told by EVERYONE that followed me that they couldn't see the blinkers, so you may still want an integrator :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yoda, thanks alot. So even though my tail lights are going to be my signals lights as well ( no signals included, They will blink through the tail lights ) I will not need an integrator? Do you know what size diode I would need to get? What resistance?

I hooked up the light to the battery to see if they were gonna work and they did and they are really bright, but I will know more when its finally installed.

PS,,,you can look at the tail on ebay...The Item number: 4504046005

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
kinda confused...does your tail light blink as a turn signal already? Is that incorporated into your light already?? If not, then you will need an integrator to do that. That is what makes your tail lights flash as a turn signal.

As for the resistor needed, I would have to look and see what ones I used at home...I can't remember off the top of my head. I will search google and see if I can find out for ya :)

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
here is a site that sells premade ones for ya, fairly cheap too. A resistor at Radio shack costs about a buck, so you are paying a little more, but it is all premade for ya.

http://www.customled.com/PRODUCTS/THE_EQUALIZER/the_equalizer.htm

Looks like a 25w resistor on the stage 2, that is a bit overkill if you ask me. I have a 15w in mine if I remember right, but it really doesn't matter...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yoda said:
kinda confused...does your tail light blink as a turn signal already? Is that incorporated into your light already?? If not, then you will need an integrator to do that. That is what makes your tail lights flash as a turn signal.

As for the resistor needed, I would have to look and see what ones I used at home...I can't remember off the top of my head. I will search google and see if I can find out for ya :)
Yoda, Right now I have the stock set up.. The undertail I bought has the tail light + the signals all in one (LED's).. So will I need a integrator? From what I get from your post i prolly will...Am I right on guessing that?

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
i would almost bet you do...unless the kit specifies that it has one. If you want the tail light to blint as well as brake, you need the integrator. BUT, if you have blinkers already, you don't need the integrator. The integrator is to eliminate blinkers.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The kit says that I do not need one, but some people I have talked too say that they could not get it working properly. I have not tried yet. This undertail is supposed to have the tail light blink as well as brake and I will be removing my stock signals.

The wires that come off the new undertail are the runinng light, brake lites, siganl lights, and ground wires, so I am thinking that if I hook all respective wires up to the stock wires by splicing, it should work. Does that make sense to you? Except for the fact of the faster blinking signals.
[/url][/list]

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
aahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....clear as mud now! lol

Yeah, that makes sence, I thought you were doing "both" a blinker AND a tail light integrator. I am with ya now......blinker removal :)

So, the best I can suggest is try it :) If it doesn't work, then shoot some pics of the wires and maybe the diagram or instructions and yell at me. Granted I have an 04 and it is different from the 99, 12 vole wiring is 12 volt wiring...and I have been doing that for years.

Am I a post whore yet?? damn.......lol

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yoda said:
aahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....clear as mud now! lol

Yeah, that makes sence, I thought you were doing "both" a blinker AND a tail light integrator. I am with ya now......blinker removal :)

So, the best I can suggest is try it :) If it doesn't work, then shoot some pics of the wires and maybe the diagram or instructions and yell at me. Granted I have an 04 and it is different from the 99, 12 vole wiring is 12 volt wiring...and I have been doing that for years.

Am I a post whore yet?? damn.......lol
Thanks man..I'll keep ya posted.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here is what happened today....

I installed it today and it all worked out good except for 2 things...One being that between the upper tail and the rear seat I have a 1 inch gap between them and when I apply brake lites and the turn signals the same time, they don't flash like they should. Did you have any of these problems? Let me know...all in all, it worked out well.

I think I can fix the gap by trimming more of the trunk area, but the other issue i will attempt, after I install a resistor to slow the signals down

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yoda, what do you figure??

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
sorry dude, been out of town for a week...

honestly, without some pics, it is tough to say what is wrong. I am guessing that the wiring is not exactly right or the integrator is not the right one for the bike....as for the gap, I have no idea...I haven't ever seen an '99 apart ;)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yoda, no worries..I went out after and bought an integrator and it works perfect. As for the gap I had, I had to trim most of the factory under tail away and that being the main support structure for the upper tail, hence gravity and it sags a bit. Approx 3/4 to 1 in. So we got drinking the other nite and what I did to eliminate most of the gap was to elongate the holes where the factory undertail bolted to the frame right back in the glove box.. This allowed me to bring up the entire tail section (upper/lower tails) do now I have about a less than a 1/4 inch gap. Now I am going to install a small piece of black foam between the rear seat and the upper tail so if someone was to look at it quickly, they would not even notice it. My friends said they would not even do that cause you can hardly notice it because the stock set up has a lil gap anyway. I may eventually fab up a bracket so it comes up even tighter. That depends on when I install the solo seat cowl when i purchase it, before next riding season.

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
cool cool...glad ya got werkin!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Not to be a thread Hijacker, but I purchased a Hot bodies Undertail for my 03 R6 and I was wondering which type of Relay off the link to customled I should use. I haven't had time to put it on yet to test it (spring project), but I just want to have everything when I start.

http://www.customled.com/PRODUCTS/THE_EQUALIZER/the_equalizer.htm

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
are you asking which resistor to get? For the HB undertail, use the stage II.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts