Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
this is a letter to the editors on the sportrider magazine (you might have read it already?) by a guy from huntington beach, CA. sorry kind of long

"I'm not looking for sympathy- just getting the word out that my bike and I took a little tumble while on my regular Sunday ride. My beloved bike is potentially repairable, but will definitely be totaled by the insurance company.

As usual, I was wearing my full leathers, a proper full-face helmet, roadracing gloves and boots, so I was protected as one can be while riding a motorcycle. That said I sustained four broken ribs, a T-7 spinal compression fracture, a bruised lung and some bumps and bruises. (ok at this point i'm getting lazy typing the capital letters, abbreviations etc, so i'm just gonna type normally now.) it sounds worse than it actually is; a trip to the ER was needed, but no hospital stay. i was up and walking around that day, but in quite a bit of discomfort (broken ribs are no fun).

what happened? i was literally run off the road by a motorcycle gang- and i did no deserve it. there were about 18 of them; all similarly dressed in matching black leather vests (stating "Relentless Riderz"). many were wearing only shorts, only a few wore gloves, and several were not wearing full face helmets. basically, your standard, run of the mill "hooligan" wannabe "stuntaz" crew sportbike riders- we've seen them all before.

i was cruising at a fair pace along my favorite mountain road, the same one i've been spending my sundays on for almost 20 years, when i came upon them. a couple had girlfriends riding pillion (also in shorts and tank tps) and they were moving at a medium-slow pace in a tight formation. i thought about turning around, or pulling over for 10-15 minutes to put some space between us, but we're all brothers up here right? i rode behind them for a mile or so, looking for openings to safely move through the group. slowly but surely, over the course of a couple miles, they started to grudgingly make space for me in the left wheel track by moving to the right. some gave me a dismissive wave-through, some just moved over, and a couple of them gave me the finger. i could see that three or four of them had helmet to helmet communicators on, so perhaps they were warning each other that i was coming through. at this point i was definitely feeling uncomfortable, but i was just focused on getting through the group and out of there, and i waved and gave the thumbs up to every one that allowed me to move past. good etiquette is always appropriate.
when i got to the first guy in line, i could see he was a little more reluctant to make space for me, as he was moving to each side of the lane in every corner, so i stayed behind him for a couple of miles through the twisty road. i was more disappointed than frustrated, becuase i could see him checking his mirrors, aware that i was there. just as i was considering overtaking him by crossing the double yellow line next time i could find the space, he pulled to the right side of the lane and stayed there for a couple of bends, which i took as permission to pass.

as i accelerated to move past him on the left, i still gave him a wave and thumbs up. to my surprise, he gave me the finger, grabbed a handful of throttle and then straight-shot the upcoming right-hand turn, completely cutting me off. admittedly in a bit of a panic, i jumped hard on the front binders, but my front wheel lost traction when it skipped over one of the lane reflectors; i low-sided and my bike and i slammed into the berm on the opposite side of the road. (no oncoming traffic thankfully) lying in the dirt, i watched the entire pack of bikes ride past - some flipping me off, none stopping. classy bunch.

suffice it to say that if you come across a motorcycle gang/club on the road, give them a wide berth. it's not worth it."

this is from the october issue of sport rider. although you can only hear this guy's part of the story, doesn't that suck?! :thumbdown

·
Mario J's Apple Juice
8,180 Posts
This is one of the reasons why I don't join clubs or gangs or respect them until I meet them. To me, they seem like the old wanna be gangsters on bikes and badasses. Following their leader's "code" of disrespect etc.

Pretty messed up that they didn't even pull over to help or see if he was okay. He could have died, sorry but I can't have that on my mind.

·
Premium Member
4,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i wouldn't be able to live with that either. hit and run type of thing. but a real bad hit

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
damn thats messed up! Glad we dont have any biker gangs around here!

·
Registered
790 Posts
For the most part I only ride with others, unless I'm commuting. This type of thing is irritating because it makes the rest of us look like jacka$$es.

·
faster than a turtle XP
1,760 Posts
thats messed up i live in socal too and for the most part theyve all been cool but in that situation i wouldve sped up passed them and made sure i kept my distanec till i hit a straight way and punch it

·
I whore my R6
1,874 Posts
i could be completely retarded but something tells me that this ^^^^^ is in the wrong thread?

and about the letter, that messed up. that shit pisses me off, kinda like harley riders hating on sport bikes....we all have our boots in the wind....motorcycling is about the ride, not what your riding

·
YZF-er!
1,727 Posts
Saw this in my latest issue of Sport Rider.

Disgusting AND pathetic. :nono

·
Impossible is Nothing.
4,278 Posts
i could be completely retarded but something tells me that this ^^^^^ is in the wrong thread?

and about the letter, that messed up. that shit pisses me off, kinda like harley riders hating on sport bikes....we all have our boots in the wind....motorcycling is about the ride, not what your riding
:werdaint that the truth...

·
Premium Member
17,965 Posts
Wow. terrible.. I can't believe it.

well, actually I can, i see that type of rider every day in NY. At least he is OK.

it's like slow cars speeding up when you try to pass, WTF is the point.

·
My R6 eats you.
7,563 Posts
That guy thought waaay to hard about passing, and when he did he did it into a turn? When it straitens out drop a gear and go, the waving and thumbs up shit is stupid.

·
YZF-er!
1,727 Posts
That guy thought waaay to hard about passing, and when he did he did it into a turn? When it straitens out drop a gear and go, the waving and thumbs up shit is stupid.
That's what I was thinking when I first read the article.. :secret

He did say that there was a significant amount of them though, hostile too.

·
Just passing through.
453 Posts
I guess that club/group "Relentless Riderz" won't be wearing those vests for quite awhile after a stunt like that. I'd assume that anyone who's read that article and is somewhat of a confrontational type would uhm, give them some lessons in manners...

or lets hope so at least. :eek5

·
Premium Member
17,965 Posts
I agree, the thumbs up BS would have stopped the minute the first one was being an ass. Usually groups like those can't ride for shit anyway.

·
YZF-er!
1,727 Posts
I guess that club/group "Relentless Riderz" won't be wearing those vests for quite awhile after a stunt like that. I'd assume that anyone who's read that article and is somewhat of a confrontational type would uhm, give them some lessons in manners...

or lets hope so at least. :eek5
Yea, we can only hope. Those guys actually gave me one of their flyers a few months back asking me to come by one of their "bike nights." I could smell the sea right off the bat, to say the least.... :rolleyes:

I agree, the thumbs up BS would have stopped the minute the first one was being an ass. Usually groups like those can't ride for shit anyway.
:werd

·
Eggserronius
268 Posts
at least he got a free helmet out of it... but agreed douche bags
What's funny, is that when I read the article and did a google search for "Relentless Riderz" I ended up reading a couple of forum threads from other bike clubs. They all at some point accuse the author of the letter of lying about it just to get a free helmet. It's not out of the realm of possibility, I just found it funny that they they all defended the gang......Doth protest too much?!?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts