Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a question about intergrated taillights. I just brought a brand new 04' R6 BLUE/WHITE 7299 OTD. But anyways I really hate that stupid stock rear fender piece. I going to custome make the plate bracket, and get rid of the signal lights to go with the intergrated ones. I've been looking around for those and I found prices from $50-$200. It seems like the VFX ones are one of the best on the market right now, and the run for about $200. But has anyone use other products, and how is the quality?

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
I have the customled piece. it is a well made, exceptionally bright piece. it has double the amount or red led's than the stock board plus the same number of amber led's for the turn indicators. it comes with easy to use waterproof silica filled crimp connectors and recommendations on which cutting wheel to use in a rotozip or what have you to remove the stock lense so they obviously put some thought into their product. I liked their stuff so much that i got their led inserts for the front indicators. I have white running leds up front and amber turn leds all in the same signal and they are incredibly bright as well......I'll link to my vids when the host website gets back up and running.

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
I think the UFO tail light kit that I sell is the best available and it does the most. Here are the features for the 03/04 R6:
*Choose from 18 turn signal patterns (plus stock)
*Choose from 17 brake patterns (plus stock)
*Choose from 16 running light patterns (plus stock)
Retain your factory components - you can go back to stock anytime
Easy 5-wire hookup. All connectors included
Easy-to-follow directions included in the kit
*Full one-year, no hassle warranty
*Tiny control box hides anywhere - only 2.75" x 2.0" x 0.75"
I can get them for several makes and models and I keep them in stock for 01-02 R6 too YEA!

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hammy do you have a pic of the product you carry so I have a visual of your product?

·
Registered
537 Posts
I got the VFX kit because they have a Plug - N - Play kit, I didnt want to have to worry about opening my tailight assembly then sealing ti back up without getting any moisture in it. The UFO kit does the most but in my area that will just get me pulled over. I just wanted to get rid of the rear signals and I am very happy with the VFW, the plug and play kit was a very easy install.

BE4TNUT

·
Registered
52 Posts
MadChild said:
Hammy do you have a pic of the product you carry so I have a visual of your product?
Check hammythecanman.com for a few demo videos

I have the UFO kit and I LOVE it.
Great price, great options with the kit as far as patterns and not too bad an install. Very well worth the $ and Hammys service is second to none!

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,815 Posts
if i could do it all over again i would get the ufo kit from hammy and the pivot kit from vfx. i have the integrator kit and pivot kit from vfx. i like the way it cleans up the tail section, instead of having that big mud flap in the back.

·
Registered
23 Posts
What about earlier model bikes?

I have a '00 blue/white R6 and I was thinking about removing that big hunk of plastic under the tail. What are my options? I don't want an integrated 'cause I believe in as much visibility as possible.

out

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
Re: What about earlier model bikes?

hotrod said:
I have a '00 blue/white R6 and I was thinking about removing that big hunk of plastic under the tail. What are my options? I don't want an integrated 'cause I believe in as much visibility as possible.

out
Removing the plastic diaper and having an integrated tialight are 2 seperate things. If you want to remove the diaper, you can go with a VFX Pivot Kit that many members have or you can rig sometihng up yourself via some "L" brackets and elbow grease for a few bucks.

Also, all the new integrated tailight kits are fr brighter than the stock pieces. As I mentioned above, my stock tailight board had I think 8led's for the brake lights and now with the CustomLED piece, its atleast doubled in led count. check out the vid above of it.

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
Hammy_The_Can_Man said:
Thats what I like about the UFO kit. All of the LED's are red and you don't give any up by having some in amber. These things are crazy bright too.
We use the SAME lights as the stock Yamaha unit, and the same number of lights. They are rated for automotive use, and our tail light has the same brightness and color as the factory light.
http://www.tricktape.com/product.asp?0=210&1=319&3=1526

from tricktape.com regarding the UFO piece. if you are looking for something with improved visibility and intensity, would something that was the same intensity really be an upgrade?

Our method is simple - replace the stock LED circuit board with a Custom LED designed board containing about 100 super bright red and yellow LEDs - which handle the running light, brake light, and turn signal indication all within the stock tail light housing! (The Custom LED 2003 R6 Integrated Tail is designed with the 54 red LEDs as dual intensity for running light and brake light. The 42 yellow LEDs (21 each side) come on for turns only.) The system is designed so that the red LEDs turn off (on one side) when the yellow comes on so that the turn indication is a pure yellow light. The unit automatically flashes between the red and yellow on the side you're turning! The Yellow LEDs are slightly offset to the side you're turning as well, creating an animated effect actually pointing to the direction you're turning.

from customled's site. they don't make all the different patterns the UFO piece does but my main point is that they are sufficiently bright, considerable more so that stock, so the safety issue is more than addressed in this piece. as is the different colored turn signal indicator pointing in the direction you are turning in. Not likely someone will confuse your break pattern from your turn signal pattern or vice versa.

·
Banned
4,021 Posts
hmm, thats weird, why would u make a integrator and not make it brighter. i guess they traded brighter off for different patterns

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
Well they were correct at one time with what they have posted but no longer are. The manufacturer USE to use the same LED's as stock. However, they found a supplier that makes a brighter LED and now use them. Also, they are $5 more than the Can Man!! YEA! I just got off the phone with the manufacturer and they said an even more important issue is that they line up properly with the tail light. . Some other manufacturers do not. Moreover, some of the amber LED's don't look right through red lenses (not an issue with the clear lens for the 03/04 R6).

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
Hammy_The_Can_Man said:
Well they were correct at one time with what they have posted but no longer are. The manufacturer USE to use the same LED's as stock. However, they found a supplier that makes a brighter LED and now use them. Also, they are $5 more than the Can Man!! YEA! I just got off the phone with the manufacturer and they said an even more important issue is that they line up properly with the tail light. . Some other manufacturers do not. Moreover, some of the amber LED's don't look right through red lenses (not an issue with the clear lens for the 03/04 R6).
cool. if they are brighter than stock, then it makes it worthwhile. The VFX integrators have the same number of LED's as stock as well but they are huge compared to the stock pieces. and $5 more from you than the manufacturer! Damn you are good! and proper alignment is important too as you say. otherwise you can have all the brightness you want but if it scatters like a fart in the wind, what good is it!

does anyone ever beat your prices?

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
They did adjust it so that the running lights are not the same intensity as the brake lights or the turn signal. As I said, I honestly beieive this is the best one available. That why I carry it. I can get just about any type of motorcycle items available. Helmets, gloves, jackets, locks, covers, alarms, dampners, etc. You name it. But unlike many of the dealers out there, I don't try to be all things to all people. I think that is a mistake. I do find people with prices lower than me more often than you think. But they would never take the time to answer several E-mails to answer your questions and provide personel service. I had a guy one time that I had gone back and forth with about an M4 pipe. I must have answered 10 E-mails for this guy. In fact, he never even heard of M4. I turned him on to this particular pipe. When it came time to buy, he sent me a link to a place that had the pipe for $5 less and was really put out by this as if I tried to screw him. I asked him one simple question; "How has there service been?" He had never even talked to them. All of my efforts were not worth $5 to him. This is the kind of thing that drives prices down and customer service away. The poor guys that run a retail store (dealers too) are getting killed by the Internet whores. Some of them deserve it, some do not. I think it's bad service and I don't have the click and buy, never talk to you website. I work a lot harder this way, but my customers are far better served because of it. Hey......weren't we talking about UFO tail light kits :?:

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
Hammy_The_Can_Man said:
I think it's bad service and I don't have the click and buy, never talk to you website. I work a lot harder this way, but my customers are far better served because of it.
precisely why I decided to buy my pipe from you! any question i had, I had a reply quick. even when i harassed you on the phone about full systems. never got short with me or anything. you're customer service is a dying art.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts