Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so ive got a few friends that have been riding for quite some time. They have been telling me I really should get inverted forks for my 04 R6. I can get them i know thats not the problem. But being a new rider i havent a clue what is swappable. Could i use the forks from an 06? and what would the pros and cons be from the switch?

·
....almost finished...
36 Posts
.......I've got a similiar situation, I want to put an inverted front end on my 2002 R6. Which one is a direct swap? Possibly an R1? Thanks, in advance...my search skills aren't the greatest.

·
Intermediate Knee Dragger
1,309 Posts
You can't just swap the forks, you have to swap the entire front end: triple trees, wheels, brake calipers, brake discs, clipons, etc. Every single part.

Your friends apparently don't know that the 03-04 R6 has the best front end of any stock Japanese sportbike. Yes, even better than the 06+. Inverted forks and radial-mount calipers look neat, but they are worthless unless you get paid by the factory to ride your bike. I had inverted forks and radial calipers on my last two bikes, and I admit I was a little leary of the regular forks and brakes on my R6S, but I honestly can't feel any difference (other than the brakes, which were fixed with stainless steel brake lines, which I also had on the last two bikes). I'm mid-pack in the Intermediate group at trackdays, so I'm not the fastest guy around, but I'm not the slowest either.

·
MACGYVER 05 R6 NJ
4,033 Posts
You will never use the inverted fork for what they are intended for. They did the inverted forks in 05 more for the track use before the new R6 came out in 06. It would be better to take your bike to a shop to have the front end tuned in than to do a hole front end swap.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So its pretty much pointless to do the front end swap? I mean I know I will eventually will be going to the track after my riding experience is better than a five year old on a rocket powered tricycle.. I will just have the shop tune the suspension before I go and do something so dramatic as going to the inverted forks.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Exactly

·
....almost finished...
36 Posts
....ok, I realize all of that....but I still want, an inverted front end, on my R6. They look tougher, and I just like to modify things....so, please, help a brother out....I'd appreciate it a lot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts