Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im thinking of doing the 1500 miles in 36 hrs. Anyone else done any Iron Butt rides? Got any tips? I was thinking of getting one of those throttle clamp grip things(I dunno what there called) so I dont have to keep pressure on the throttle.

·
First Gen FTW
11,444 Posts
Take the wallet out and put it in ur front pocket, Hang your feet when u get cramped up, I usually lay on my tank with my left arm too. all kinds of stuff...just do whats comfy.

·
Back from the Sand box!
584 Posts

·
Dragging Knee
1,604 Posts
Make sure your chain is adjusted and in good shape before the ride because if it is out of spec to begin with it will get much worse during the ride, the last thing you want is a broken chain to stop the fun. Also, make sure you have enough tread on your tires so you don't chord them on the trip.

Check all of the general maintenance stuff and make sure you are up to date with it all. This includes checking the water level of the cooling tank.

some things to bring:
Tire pressure gauge
A Metric hex wrench set - so you can pull your fairings off and take your seat off to get access to your battery.
A screw driver with interchangeable bits.
Leatherman type tool
Rain Gear - frog Toggs they are light weight and breathe well if you aren't wearing water proof motorcycle gear.
Face Shield - If you run a tinted face shield bring a clear one for night time.

This list is not a complete list but should help you getting thinking on what to bring.

Try to minimize the amount of weight in your backpack. Your back will thank you later.

Also bring gear and clothes that will let you layer or change the venting to adapt to weather conditions.

·
I like bbq sauce on my R6
2,146 Posts
i went 70+ miles in an hour and a half and a half and it wasn't so much my butt as it was my lower back. could be my riding posture, but it still was not cool.

·
First Gen FTW
11,444 Posts
i went 70+ miles in an hour and a half and a half and it wasn't so much my butt as it was my lower back. could be my riding posture, but it still was not cool.
Your doing it wrong...i went from dayton ohio to deals gap and only hurt my ass

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
Get some monkey butt powder.... No, its not a joke...

·
Premium Member
13,349 Posts
You're neck is going to be sore...

Good luck

Here are some throttle cruise controls:

Throttlemeister-Cruise-Control-Yamaha-YZF-R6-06-09

NEP Cruise control thread in this forum
^^^ This

Make sure your chain is adjusted and in good shape before the ride because if it is out of spec to begin with it will get much worse during the ride, the last thing you want is a broken chain to stop the fun. Also, make sure you have enough tread on your tires so you don't chord them on the trip.

Check all of the general maintenance stuff and make sure you are up to date with it all. This includes checking the water level of the cooling tank.

some things to bring:
Tire pressure gauge
A Metric hex wrench set - so you can pull your fairings off and take your seat off to get access to your battery.
A screw driver with interchangeable bits.
Leatherman type tool
Rain Gear - frog Toggs they are light weight and breathe well if you aren't wearing water proof motorcycle gear.
Face Shield - If you run a tinted face shield bring a clear one for night time.

This list is not a complete list but should help you getting thinking on what to bring.

Try to minimize the amount of weight in your backpack. Your back will thank you later.

Also bring gear and clothes that will let you layer or change the venting to adapt to weather conditions.
^^^This

Get some monkey butt powder.... No, its not a joke...
^^^ this

padded shorts help under your riding gear
and This

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the help. I'm deffinatly getting one of those rubber o rings for cruise control. I plan on doing the 1000 in 24 then tagging the extra 500 on at the end. When I get home tonight I'll post my route.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Good luck dude!! I guess I can't really add anything that hasn't been said.... everybody pretty much covered everything

I've done one before, the 1000 in 24 and I'll tell ya it's harder than you might think. The first 700 miles is cake, the last 300 is miserable. Mental fatigue starts to set in and it gets real interesting after that, lol.... for me anyways, my brain plays nasty nasty tricks on me once I get to that point.

Only things I can really say is get PLENTY of sleep the night before, and take plenty of breaks being sure to keep yourself very hydrated. Dehydration will cause mental fatigue to set in even sooner. Also stretch alot at every break. My biggest problem on mine was that I didn't get enough sleep the night before, and after the sun went down mental fatigue and highway hypnosis was an absolute bitch. I literally slept through half the state of Florida... don't ask me how I made it back, I don't know, hahah

Have a good time and be safe :) You done any long roadtrips on your bike before?? Or this gonna be the first?

·
Oorah!
1,140 Posts
Be extra careful bud and good luck! If you still have your back pegs..i found it nicely comfy to lay forward and stretch lol

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good luck dude!! I guess I can't really add anything that hasn't been said.... everybody pretty much covered everything

I've done one before, the 1000 in 24 and I'll tell ya it's harder than you might think. The first 700 miles is cake, the last 300 is miserable. Mental fatigue starts to set in and it gets real interesting after that, lol.... for me anyways, my brain plays nasty nasty tricks on me once I get to that point.

Only things I can really say is get PLENTY of sleep the night before, and take plenty of breaks being sure to keep yourself very hydrated. Dehydration will cause mental fatigue to set in even sooner. Also stretch alot at every break. My biggest problem on mine was that I didn't get enough sleep the night before, and after the sun went down mental fatigue and highway hypnosis was an absolute bitch. I literally slept through half the state of Florida... don't ask me how I made it back, I don't know, hahah

Have a good time and be safe :) You done any long roadtrips on your bike before?? Or this gonna be the first?
That's awesome. Ive driven a cage from Orlando to Ft Worth tx with only stopping for gas. It was about 19 hrs. O. The IBA website they say most people do the 1000 in 18 hrs. I hopping to finish the 1000 the crash at a friends house in Gainesville or Jacksonville then finishe the 500 after a couple hrs of sleep.

·
Registered
925 Posts
That's awesome. Ive driven a cage from Orlando to Ft Worth tx with only stopping for gas. It was about 19 hrs. O. The IBA website they say most people do the 1000 in 18 hrs. I hopping to finish the 1000 the crash at a friends house in Gainesville or Jacksonville then finishe the 500 after a couple hrs of sleep.
Yea even just a little bit of sleep in between to rest does wonders. That's good you'll be able to crash at a friends house.... I just went to sleep on one of the benches at 2 different service plazas along the FL turnpike, hahahah. Even a couple 20 minute naps helped. We ended up doing around 1100 miles in 22 hours (and never got our certifications...ugh)

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I want a tank bag for my trip one with a map pocket

·
Stanly the Manly
935 Posts
My grandma made me a sheepskin pad for my seat when I did the AK trip. Basically the shape of the seat with some elastic bands around the bottom to hold it in place. Absolutely brilliant.

+1 on the tank bag - they make it nice to prop yourself on. I have a tourmaster one that I may part with if youre interested.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I did about 300 miles in one day and it was brutal but it was also 105 in the middle of August in Dallas. My butt hurt, my neck hurt and I was just irritated most of the trip. Good luck.

·
her name is Megan Fox
2,583 Posts
Yea even just a little bit of sleep in between to rest does wonders. That's good you'll be able to crash at a friends house.... I just went to sleep on one of the benches at 2 different service plazas along the FL turnpike, hahahah. Even a couple 20 minute naps helped. We ended up doing around 1100 miles in 22 hours (and never got our certifications...ugh)
this is you? :dunce: you must be the president of the iron butt association :fact
http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125586&page=2

1 - 20 of 22 Posts