Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm looking into getting a sportbike and i've basically fell in love with the yamaha r6 ever since my brother got one, I'm 17, 18 soon.. and I'm 6 foot tall but here is where my problem is or maybe isn't I only weigh 115, i've always had a fast metabolism and i've tried a lot to gain weight supplements/diets everything.. would me being this weight be bad for me to ride an r6?

TLDR: I'm 6 foot tall 115 pounds How will an r6 be for me? (Already set on getting one so don't try to convince me onto a 600 I intend to treat the bike properly and learn as slowly as needed)

·
Registered
380 Posts
why did you start another thread with the exact same topic/words?

·
Living The Dream
3,806 Posts
if a 5 ft 4 120 chick can handle a 1098, ktm rc8, harley 883..you should be fine...youre gong to end up doing whatever you want anyways so at least take the safety course and do a track day to familiarize yourself with your bikes capabilities and limits.

·
Do you even lean bro?
164 Posts
If you already know how to ride, don't be stupid, and you'll be fine.

Be stupid, take a death, or worse end up being a turnip that has to be watered occasionally at the local 'tard house.

·
Stunt Rider
7,982 Posts
R6 will work for you. If you need adjustments get risers or aftermarket rearsets.

·
My R6S beats me!
14 Posts
There's very good reasons why the masses try to turn starters away from 600cc sportbikes. But I began riding on an R6 myself, albeit at 21, and I'm still alive to talk about it.

My verdict: It wasn't all that fun. I felt like I was going to die at the twist of my wrist and going into curves. I had chicken strips the size of a dollar (read: not attractive to women, riders or people in general). Group rides weren't fun either, because after the first curve or two I wasn't part of the group anymore (this goes back to the chicken strip deal).

So make of my experience what you will, but it's very obvious you're trying to get a 600cc sportbike to fit in and/or look good with your friends and/or to women. That's honestly why I did it. And it sucked. I'm easily twice your boney 115lbs and the CBR250R I was assigned during my MSF course was more than enough to carry me around, and I'm pretty much 6' as well.

But nonetheless, good luck and stay safe! At least buy and wear the proper gear (and at all times) and do the MSF course.

·
In Search of 08+ R6
9 Posts
Started on my lil 250 and have to wait for spring to upgrade but learning everything on this guy was super easy. Considering I had never ridden prior and now 5 months later I have enough confidence in my abilities to buy an R6.

Going in I wasn't sure how I would do riding a motorcycle and for the first two weeks it was kind of scary, even on a 250, just because of the amount of danger you are in on public roads. One mistake could be your life. I'm happy I started on this 250 because I know if I had started on a R6 to begin with I would of been dead within a week... I like speed and having this top out at 95 helped me control my urges to go fast everywhere. (as fast as a 250 can go haha)

5'9" 125 lbs

·
Living The Dream
3,806 Posts
Started on my lil 250 and have to wait for spring to upgrade but learning everything on this guy was super easy. Considering I had never ridden prior and now 5 months later I have enough confidence in my abilities to buy an R6.

Going in I wasn't sure how I would do riding a motorcycle and for the first two weeks it was kind of scary, even on a 250, just because of the amount of danger you are in on public roads. One mistake could be your life. I'm happy I started on this 250 because I know if I had started on a R6 to begin with I would of been dead within a week... I like speed and having this top out at 95 helped me control my urges to go fast everywhere. (as fast as a 250 can go haha)

5'9" 125 lbs
if the limits on your bike are the only thing holding you back from riding like an ass..then doesnt matter how much seat time you have on a 250 hell you could ride a scooter for so long..but once you have the power of a 600 or a 1000 then whats stopping you?? imo the biggest problem with new riders is their mind set..ive seen people on 250 that have been riding for months and months and still cant ride worth d!ck...few months later they feel like rossi and upgrade to a 600 or a 1000 and think theyre invincible...they learn shitty techniques from people who have been lucky they havnt killed themselves...if you cant control your urges and need to be restricted then you do not belong on a bike

·
Weeeeeeeeeeeee
1,667 Posts
Hey, I'm looking into getting a sportbike and i've basically fell in love with the yamaha r6 ever since my brother got one, I'm 17, 18 soon.. and I'm 6 foot tall but here is where my problem is or maybe isn't I only weigh 115, i've always had a fast metabolism and i've tried a lot to gain weight supplements/diets everything.. would me being this weight be bad for me to ride an r6?

TLDR: I'm 6 foot tall 115 pounds How will an r6 be for me? (Already set on getting one so don't try to convince me onto a 600 I intend to treat the bike properly and learn as slowly as needed)
Why even bother asking then?? :confused:

·
Do you even lean bro?
164 Posts
:nocontrolI bet his eyes pop out of his skull with the insurance rate associated with a sportbike at his age.

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
Your skinny ass isn't strong enough to pick the bike up when you drop it all the time, because you bought an absolutely terrible bike to try to learn to ride on.

Get an SV650 or Ninja 300 or something. Put 5k miles on it. Learn how to ride a motorcycle well. Then go buy an out-of-the-box racebike if you're still set on that.

·
When in doubtThrottle out
5,059 Posts
Why even bother asking then?? :confused:
I asked the same question apparently there's a 2nd thread for the exact same thing by this guy.....:roll:

Asks for our opinion and in the same post tells us he doesn't want our opinion....:nono

·
Living The Dream
3,806 Posts
Your skinny ass isn't strong enough to pick the bike up when you drop it all the time, because you bought an absolutely terrible bike to try to learn to ride on.

Get an SV650 or Ninja 300 or something. Put 5k miles on it. Learn how to ride a motorcycle well. Then go buy an out-of-the-box racebike if you're still set on that.
he could pick it up if he does the technique right

·
Registered
62 Posts
Well I'm in Ontario, Canada so our riding season is over, it snowed today and is really cold out. I'm bored and will answer the OP's question. Guys on the forum are not being cruel they are just telling you how it is. I started on a ninja 250 and rode it for 2 seasons. Then I got an R6. Even with experience riding, when I first got the bike it scared me. You must have good throttle control. it also depends on how you are going to use the bike. If it's commuting then get another bike. If it's a weekend toy (twisties, canyon riding, track etc.) then the R6 can work. However, unless your parents are rich then having a 600 at your age is not realistic. Just my humble opinion.

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts

Quit being a pussy, and just a hayabusa.

·
In Search of 08+ R6
9 Posts
if the limits on your bike are the only thing holding you back from riding like an ass..then doesnt matter how much seat time you have on a 250 hell you could ride a scooter for so long..but once you have the power of a 600 or a 1000 then whats stopping you?? imo the biggest problem with new riders is their mind set..ive seen people on 250 that have been riding for months and months and still cant ride worth d!ck...few months later they feel like rossi and upgrade to a 600 or a 1000 and think theyre invincible...they learn shitty techniques from people who have been lucky they havnt killed themselves...if you cant control your urges and need to be restricted then you do not belong on a bike
What I was saying was I got out all my "must go fast" urges on my 250. I ride pretty damn responsibly and well too. No chickenstrips and constantly out. Almost 1K miles every month since I got it. If you knew me personally you could tell how much better I have gotten since I started.

·
Touchdown!
1,422 Posts
I can tell you one thing... @ 115lbs on a R6, you'll have no problem moving out with a 230lb rider on a 1000. Power to weight ratio is advantageous in your favor.

You on a R6 : 0.239
230lb. rider on R1 : 0.255

:secret Pretty close if you can develop your skills, especially in the corners.

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts
I can tell you one thing... @ 115lbs on a R6, you'll have no problem moving out with a 230lb rider on a 1000. Power to weight ratio is advantageous in your favor.

You on a R6 : 0.239
230lb. rider on R1 : 0.255

:secret Pretty close if you can develop your skills, especially in the corners.
You're an idiot.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts