Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
I Ride Yamamaha R6
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This should turn out to be a pretty good Q&A thread.

Is it legal to ride with one or no hands? I rode past a parked police officer the other day and I was just cruisen slow one handed. As I passed him I got to thinkin' if it was legal or not. They can't get you for one hand in a car so is it okay on a bike. What do you think?

Anyone else got a question? Someone here may know the answer.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
i doubt that its legal. every now and then i stretch both arms back at the same time. and a lot of times, i let my left arm rest on my knee. this helps because i can sit up straighter and won't have to always be crouching. of course i'm doing this at a safe speed and am cautious of my surroundings.

·
Draggin knee's
969 Posts
No handed is maybe careless driving i would think but have never heard of anyone actually getting nailed for it. Prolly would just be a warning. If they did that would suck. I have stood up on my bike to scratch an relocate my balls that were stuck to my leg on the highway beside a cop an nothing happened so, i dunno. I doubt they would do anything. Good question thou lol

·
Team: Teletubby racing
21,003 Posts
i don't see why it is illegal...i use hand signals when im turning.

·
R-Sex
422 Posts
i dont think there is any law out there that says its illegal to ride without 2 hands, and if there is, its rediculous. when im cruisin, i never have 2 hands on the bars cause im usually resting my left arm on my leg and my body is kind of cocked off the side a little for comfort. id be interested to see if this is a law...:confused:

·
FAST 07 RED R6
200 Posts
This should turn out to be a pretty good Q&A thread.

Is it legal to ride with one or no hands? I rode past a parked police officer the other day and I was just cruisen slow one handed. As I passed him I got to thinkin' if it was legal or not. They can't get you for one hand in a car so is it okay on a bike. What do you think?

Anyone else got a question? Someone here may know the answer.
I OFTEN WONDERED THE SAME THING!!!

·
R Sexiness
1,139 Posts
ive ridden by a cop with my left hand resting on my leg cop looked right at me didnt say anything and drove off

·
Zombies may bite!!!!
1,182 Posts
i don't see why it is illegal...i use hand signals when im turning.

This is why it cant be illegal.....

How will you do this with both hands on the bars??

It's perfectly legal here in FL to no0t have turn signals as long as you use hand signals!

:)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Every state is different, heck cities as well, if you really wanna know check your local DMV or call the police station and see if there is a statute, I know in Cali you had to put one foot down for it to be considered a complete stop, even if you could balance stopped for several seconds.

·
I ride bitches year round
1,834 Posts
ive ridden by a cop with my left hand resting on my leg cop looked right at me didnt say anything and drove off
Same here, I do it all the time. I am betting that if I wasn't wearing any gear he would stop me. Gear shows responsibility it portrays a nice image.

·
R Sexiness
1,139 Posts
Same here, I do it all the time. I am betting that if I wasn't wearing any gear he would stop me. Gear shows responsibility it portrays a nice image.
+1 they like responsibility

·
R is for respect!
1,623 Posts
good question.i wondered this the other day when i was cruising by an officer with one hand resting on my tank and he stared me down like i did something wrong but didnt come after me.

·
Registered
379 Posts
As you all know, most things are up to a cops discression. I know here in Cali, MOST cops do not care, i have a throttle lock and ride with no hands often on the freeway (if the traffic is clear), i have done is and waved at cops and nothing, but I HAVE a close friend that got stopped for noth hands of, and I have heard (dont know them, just rumor) of others getting stopped for riding with one had (even though we mostly all do it.)

Basically, the friend of mine that got stopped for both hands off got a "reckless driving" ticket. The cop assumed he was stunting on the road (no hands = stunt? damn im a pro stunter!)

but yes, if a cop WANTS to, he can get you for it, but most dont.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Basically, the friend of mine that got stopped for both hands off got a "reckless driving" ticket.

but yes, if a cop WANTS to, he can get you for it, but most dont.

yeah, ive heard of people getting the same ticket in new york for having no hands. and yes if a cop gets a hard on to check your stuff, we all know he will find someway to get you. if he wants to pull you over he will even if your doing nothing.

but as already stated totaly legal to have one hand because its legal to use hand signals.

dont hold me to it, but 1 hand= legal, no hands= illegal.

·
Registered
129 Posts
this is not illegal but it will give them a good reason for them to pull u over and try to get you for some other stuff. FE, turn signals, insurance and lic, etc. i have been pulled over for having my hids on all day and blind on coming trafic during daytime, now that sounds more reasonable but still dumb. my 2 cents

·
Registered
167 Posts
It's at Cop's discretion. Last week, for example. I am riding ahead of the car pack, some idiot of a lady decides to stop right across three lanes so she can go left. The cops were sitting on the other side of the road and as I approached the car, I saw the idiot look at me. I started clapping sarcastically, then pointed both my hand's fingers on her (as if, "good job you idiot YOU!"). As she got out of the way, I saw the cops were smiling.

·
Zombies may bite!!!!
1,182 Posts
I tell you what they mite get you for if you were driving with one hand.....

Impropper signaling!

I know this from a cop who drives an undercover truck. He would tailgate someone and when this person would flip the undercover officer off, the officer would follow for the amount of time you are alotted for signaling and then making your turn or lane change and when you dont, he would pull you over for improper signaling for a lane change.

·
Registered
167 Posts
And why would your cop be tailgating a bike in the first place?

·
Zombies may bite!!!!
1,182 Posts
Well it was just a story he wasnt tailgatting a bike but the meanig behind the story was to prove they will find a reason, a law or hell they will make one up if they want to pull you over.

·
I got an R6000
114 Posts
I got a warning for riding with no hands earlier this summer. When the cop told me that he pulled me over for riding with no hands I was shocked and asked if it was illegal and he was like YAAAHHHHH you can't do that. I was coming up to a red light and just sat up to stretch I told him I wasn't attempting to do a trick or anything and he said it didn't matter. I said, "Oh, thanks for the free lesson."

What is left out of the story is he thought I didnt have a license plate then saw I did and found something else to pull me over for to ask me if it was my bike and if I had insurance.

He was cool with me but made me late and then I had to do 100mph+ to get to my meeting on time!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts