Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got my first free episode of Motor Cyclist that a bunch of us ordered online.

I'm reading it this morning, while dropping off the kids(pooping) and I read this one article about threats to riders and why motorcycling is doomed if we don't take action. Three points stuck in my head and I wanted to bring them up to see if anyone else feels the same.

1. Helmet law, they mentioned how obligating riders to wear a helmet was a bad thing and AMA being against a law making riders wear helmets. They are all for helmets and recommend the voluntary use of them though.

2. Insurance companies(Health/life - obviously not Geico and the like) discriminating against us and possibly not giving us the same coverage. This IS a problem if it is indeed true or close to being a possibility. My gripe about this is, how can AMA and this magazine be against the law making you wear a helmet but then complain when this happens? Seems backwards to me.

3. Mandatory MSF classes - This I kind of understand, I never took one and even though I see the benefit in them. I think the only way this will fly is if it were a FREE class that was mandatory. Like the 6 hour defensive driving in NY for cars.

so, chime in. Let me know what you think. Honestly I feel it's more of the point and thought of "If this now, then what later"... But it's not like the gov/ doesn't already control 90% of how we use the stuff we own..

·
Premium Member
11,269 Posts
just curious, how do these things make motorcycling "doomed"? overseas, there are much more restrictions and qualifications for new riders and the moto market is booming over there.

also, insurance companies are in the business to make money, and opposed to cars, motorcycles tip over. they gotta cover their asses.

·
Premium Member
17,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just curious, how do these things make motorcycling "doomed"? overseas, there are much more restrictions and qualifications for new riders and the moto market is booming over there.

also, insurance companies are in the business to make money, and opposed to cars, motorcycles tip over. they gotta cover their asses.
Well that's my point. It's more of a "You can't tell me what to do" attitude then real concern about the sport. I feel most on here will have a different view then the magazine.

And insurance companies should cover me no matter what, if I ride a bike then my risk is higher and charge me more, let ME decide if i want to be covered. The article mentioned the companies just deciding no coverage when a motorcycle was involved - Of course there must be much more to it.

·
Registered
52,007 Posts

While I generally agree with you, I wouldn't say the moto market is booming overseas. Developing countries are seeing an increase, but Europe is not. In Italy (25% of European 2-wheeled market IIRC), for example, overall 2-wheeled market is still contracting, though sportbikes are increasing.

·
Life is best beyond 10k
6,928 Posts
I remember getting into a debate on AMA's facebook when they posted this. It came down to:
1) You're taking away a motorcyclist's personal freedoms by making them wear a helmet. Funny enough, a lot of people want MORE restrictions on drivers of cars (have to wear seatbelts, no texting, more training, etc.) and don't see the hypocisy of being ok with more regulations on other travellers. Try to tell them to wear a helmet and show them all the proof that helmets save lives and they're still all up in arms. I blame the Harley community mostly for this one.

2) Insurance companies already want to drop people for being smokers, diabetics, drug users, obese, etc. But they haven't banned anyone yet and the new health insurance laws make it almost impossible to be dropped by insurance companies. I see this more as people who wear aluminum foil on their heads worried about this.

3) I SORTA see the reasoning here. AMA doesn't think there should be mandatory MSF courses for everyone because they say the riders who learned from their parents and have been riding FOREVER shouldn't have to retake a test for licensing purposes. Then I argued, how about a grandfathering system to let those people pass? Still not good enough. I don't agree with this one, either.

IMO, AMA needs to take a better stance on protecting the motorcycle community and not defending our poor decisions (like not wearing a helmet). They just have a blanket policy of defending anyone on 2 wheels regardless of their actions. It's a little dumb, IMO. But I guess that's the position you take when 1/2 of your paying members are Harley riders.

·
Back from the Sand box!
584 Posts
3. Mandatory MSF classes - This I kind of understand, I never took one and even though I see the benefit in them. I think the only way this will fly is if it were a FREE class that was mandatory. Like the 6 hour defensive driving in NY for cars.

so, chime in. Let me know what you think. Honestly I feel it's more of the point and thought of "If this now, then what later"... But it's not like the gov/ doesn't already control 90% of how we use the stuff we own..
The MSF Courses is bottom line mandatory for all military service member to be able to ride on post/base/naval station. They are free when you sign up, the military, well many bases will pay for it. The only problem which happened to me was that I was put on a waiting list and in order to ride on base(AF) I had to take the class. I just bought my bike in Mar this year and I was itching to ride so I just paid for the class off base... I have friends that are still waiting for the class to open for them...

Long story short it's mandatory for us but I took some good advice while attending this course...I believe it's benficial :fact

·
Premium Member
11,269 Posts
While I generally agree with you, I wouldn't say the moto market is booming overseas. Developing countries are seeing an increase, but Europe is not. In Italy (25% of European 2-wheeled market IIRC), for example, overall 2-wheeled market is still contracting, though sportbikes are increasing.
right on. booming is the wrong word... i just meant that it's not something that seems to interfere with the bike market. but then again, i've never even been there. :laugh

but if stricter licensing laws in the US kept a few extra riders off the streets, i'm sure those are a bunch of guys we wouldn't want on 2 wheels anyway.

·
Registered
52,007 Posts
right on. booming is the wrong word... i just meant that it's not something that seems to interfere with the bike market. but then again, i've never even been there. :laugh

but if stricter licensing laws in the US kept a few extra riders off the streets, i'm sure those are a bunch of guys we wouldn't want on 2 wheels anyway.
Oh, trust me... I'm all for tiered licensing...

·
Life is best beyond 10k
6,928 Posts
The MSF Courses is bottom line mandatory for all military service member to be able to ride on post/base/naval station. They are free when you sign up, the military, well many bases will pay for it. The only problem which happened to me was that I was put on a waiting list and in order to ride on base(AF) I had to take the class. I just bought my bike in Mar this year and I was itching to ride so I just paid for the class off base... I have friends that are still waiting for the class to open for them...

Long story short it's mandatory for us but I took some good advice while attending this course...I believe it's benficial :fact
I completely agree that it's beneficial.

·
Premium Member
17,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
3) I SORTA see the reasoning here. AMA doesn't think there should be mandatory MSF courses for everyone because they say the riders who learned from their parents and have been riding FOREVER shouldn't have to retake a test for licensing purposes. Then I argued, how about a grandfathering system to let those people pass? Still not good enough. I don't agree with this one, either.

I wouldn't expect everyone currently licensed to take it, just put it into effect. It would be nearly impossible to make everyone already licensed to take it.

I agree on the Harley part though.. Most of the member's are Harley riders and probably think Helmets are weird looking and stupid.

·
Life is best beyond 10k
6,928 Posts
I agree on the Harley part though.. Most of the member's are Harley riders and probably think Helmets are weird looking and stupid.
I interpret how Harley owners think of helmets by the type they wear. I can count the number of times on one hand I've seen a Harley rider wearing a full-face helmet. They all wear those brain buckets -- AKA the bare minumum to fulfill our state helmet law.

·
Back from the Sand box!
584 Posts
I just can't understand how people can ride without helmets... I see it a lot in New Mexico, drives me nuts. :eek5

·
Premium Member
17,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When I ride to CT, NO ONE has a helmet. And there is a local bike meet that I go to sometimes because they have Ducati and KTM dsiplays... people ask ME how I can stand my helmet and leather jacket... :nono

·
Back from the Sand box!
584 Posts
When I ride to CT, NO ONE has a helmet. And there is a local bike meet that I go to sometimes because they have Ducati and KTM dsiplays... people ask ME how I can stand my helmet and leather jacket... :nono
:screwy:nono

1 - 20 of 110 Posts