Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Is my brothers EXUP valve broken?

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  papawheelie 
#1 ·
My brother bought a used '07 R6. The owner of the bike said he "gutted" the stock exhaust to make it louder. Now the only other R6 I have ridden is my '08 and it feels much faster than his bike. Where my '08 seems to have power through the entire RPM range, his only seems to get going around 8k RPM and higher. I have no idea if an EXUP valve could make this much of a difference, but looking down through his exhaust, you can see that his EXUP valve is cracked nearly halfway open when mine looks as though it is completely shut.

First picture is his '07. The 2nd is my '08...

I was looking at buying the Jardine GP1 for my bike, but if removing the EXUP valve will make my bike feel like his, I'll be keeping the stock exhaust.

See less See more
#2 ·
you loose mid range power with no exhaust valve. My servo motor went at the track and we disconnected it. You need to tune the ecu now for the new exhaust. Some will get a power commander, I sent my bike to a race tuner to have the stock ecu reflashed and asked for plenty of mid range power. $750. So the answer is if you put on a new exhaust with no valve, you will most likely loose power. But if tuned properly, you will have lots of power gains. Maybe about 10hp with pipe and tune. You need to get a race header on there. The cat will hold you back.

#11 ·
exup is a valve inside the exhaust can, not in the headers. It opens at higher RPMs to allow the exhaust to exit quickly. It stays closed during light throttle action to create back pressure for more low and mid range power. It also might have something to do with emissions. I'm not sure about that though. You asked should I remove it? I would. Also get a retune, or PC3/5 or something. I put on a full system, headers and can, and never tuned it. It ran fine on the track. I did notice very little mid range power. So if you do the header swap, you still have the choice to disable it. Mine died on it's own. The servo motor died. Common I hear, so I would remove it asap. BTW ghetto, I have an 05 header that I was gonna mod, but bought a full system before I worked on it. Make me an offer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.