Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Wishing I was in PA
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been researching quite a bit regarding this issue and other setups. This damper was on the bike when I bought it. Took it to a yamaha shop to change a tire and he said it was not even the right on. i disagree but what you think? I believe it is still doing its job, maybe half a** or fully idk.

Some things to factor in: (1) When i put steering all the way to the left; the play in the damper lets it hit the tank a little. (2) when i steer to the right, the bracket hits the triple and over time has caused a slight gouge in triple

THIS IS MINE: Look closely to see where its hitting my triple and how its positioned:

Here i think this is how it is supposed to be & around my year (03-05) mines 04!
Its flipped the other way and the bracket forms the way of the tank...

My guess is this is the newer Gens 06+.. idk tho, thats y im here:

I will post better PICS 2mrw if nessesary for some ppl to help
Any advice or what to do is much appreciated. thx in advance :cheers

·
Wishing I was in PA
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks to me as if the clamp that holds the damper needs to be in the middle.....:secret
Indeed. I know that. I was gonna fix it, but i have a bigger problem that id rather just fix the whole thing

Sent from space

·
iRun
33,319 Posts
Without even reading and just checking your pics... No, it isn't.

EDIT: actually, it might not be too far off... This is a pic from my brother's 2nd gen before he sold it.

It hit the top of the forks, but only because it was lowered.

·
Wishing I was in PA
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

EDIT: actually, it might not be too far off... This is a pic from my brother's 2nd gen before he sold it.

That helps. thanks for the pic too. But you see, its the other way. gold piece is pointing to right, which makes the bracket on left. My best guess is this is the right way. Hard to exlain but you understand how i think its backwards? lol if its turned around, i think this would eliminate it hitting the triple, what u think? thx again

·
iRun
33,319 Posts
That helps. thanks for the pic too. But you see, its the other way. gold piece is pointing to right, which makes the bracket on left. My best guess is this is the right way. Hard to exlain but you understand how i think its backwards? lol if its turned around, i think this would eliminate it hitting the triple, what u think? thx again
I'm pretty positive that yours is backwards. :fact

EDIT: and I have pics of my 2004 from back in the day with a different damper if you can wait until the end of the day. :fact

·
Wishing I was in PA
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm pretty positive that yours is backwards. :fact

EDIT: and I have pics of my 2004 from back in the day with a different damper if you can wait until the end of the day. :fact
Wurd. Yea me too. Also about its tension (if you know) i was reading about the damper and im not sure if clockwise is to tighten or loosen/vise versa? & yea i can wait, no rush bra:)

Sent from space

·
Wishing I was in PA
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Could anyone give me more info on what to do or whats up with this setup?

Sent from space

·
Wishing I was in PA
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Yo pickpocket. Did you happen to get those other pics you were talking about from your 04?

Sent from space

·
Wishing I was in PA
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
iRun
33,319 Posts
Yo pickpocket. Did you happen to get those other pics you were talking about from your 04?

Sent from space
I checked em out, but i had a hyperpro damper on it so the mounting bracket is different.. It doesn't really help. Sorry man!

·
Laugh now, cry later
1,027 Posts
Def. on the wrong side... The damper should be parralel to your steering when the wheel is straight...

BTW, brackets are pretty expensive. May-be your damper was for another model and the other owner tried to fit it? lol

·
iRun
33,319 Posts
Def. on the wrong side... The damper should be parralel to your steering when the wheel is straight...

BTW, brackets are pretty expensive. May-be your damper was for another model and the other owner tried to fit it? lol
This. Most ohlins brackets are ~$200, IIRC, and the graves standard mount is like 150ish. The race mount :)jerkit) is like 170.

I've been on the lookout for a race mount for months. :fact

·
Laugh now, cry later
1,027 Posts
This. Most ohlins brackets are ~$200, IIRC, and the graves standard mount is like 150ish. The race mount :)jerkit) is like 170.

I've been on the lookout for a race mount for months. :fact
You said it! That's probably why it's not the good bracket... If I was in his place, I'd call the old owner and ask him where the damper comes from

1 - 20 of 27 Posts