Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I got one problem in riding with R6 2012. Previously, I rode Kawasaki Zx6R.

The problem is:

I change or downshift the gear from 3 to 2 during the corner, and the rear tire start to wobble which can cause high side crash.

I've done this downshift gear at my 6R without problem.

where went wrong?

Thanks.

·
pin it to win it
8,080 Posts
No slipper clutch

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes..sometimes in mid corner.. Is they something to do with suspension sag. It still Oem setting. i m 65kg.

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
Hi,

I got one problem in riding with R6 2012. Previously, I rode Kawasaki Zx6R.

The problem is:

I change or downshift the gear from 3 to 2 during the corner, and the rear tire start to wobble which can cause high side crash.

I've done this downshift gear at my 6R without problem.

where went wrong?

Thanks.
No slipper clutch
Que? 2012 R6 definitely has a slipper. I have not that much experience riding hard on a slipper clutch though - I have no idea how much they help. I do know that dumping the clutch too quickly on my 2005 will result in exactly the situation described by jacub though.

Ain't nothing wrong with downshifting mid-corner, just gotta be slow & smooth when letting the clutch out.

·
pin it to win it
8,080 Posts
Ah I forget, you're right. doesn't work to well for me, I just let the rear end dance around.

·
Premium Member
35,476 Posts
You can downshift mid corner.... You just push the bike up a little and make sure you blip the throttle. The rear slipped for OP because he probably didn't catch the RPMs correctly.

·
Make good choices.
2,808 Posts

where went wrong?

Thanks.
You need to match the speed of the engine to the speed of rear wheel. This is called rev matching, it's done by momentarily applying the throttle as you release the clutch.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I agree with you shouldn't down shift mid corner, the reasoning behind this is by down shifting you are upsetting your suspension and chassis by the power change, which doesn't just transfer power but it also transfer the weight on the tires of your bike. By down shifting you are slowing down abruptly, moving weight from the back of the bike (which give you your drive out of the corner) to the front which while slowing down can make you push wide on your turn, as well as make your back end light causing chatter, or moving around on you. A slipper clutch does help smooth this out, but if your starting out a any track this is not a technique they teach. The way track schools teach it is, before you enter your corner brake, body, then shift, you shift last in case you get that faults neutral that way you're not depending on engine brake to slow you down. Then you slowly and smoothly pick up the throttle through the corner.

·
Reads the rulez
2,252 Posts
Have you never gone around a long, decreasing radius corner? Or caught a false neutral on entry? There are situations where you need to downshift while leaned over.
What tracks have you ridden on with a decreasing radius corner so long you have to downshift?

False neutral on entry should always be followed up with an upshift, not a down shift for that very reason.

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
What tracks have you ridden on with a decreasing radius corner so long you have to downshift?

False neutral on entry should always be followed up with an upshift, not a down shift for that very reason.
There's a corner at Chuckwalla where I probably should do it, but I pussy out and give up entry speed instead.

There's definitely a corner at NJMP where the AMA guys downshift mid-corner.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts