Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for a big chunk of my track career, I've used a quick throttle by motion pro. While the benefits are pretty obvious, I've began to question if I really need it any more.

I've always loved the obvious benefit of quickly getting on full throttle without having to put my wrist in a weird shape or do the twist, hold with thumb get another grab and twist again trick.

BUT one thing I've never enjoyed on my motion pro is the fact that it feels sooo choppy when I first start opening the throttle on the exit.

Anyway I've played with my friend's R6 in the pits for a while and I think I kind of miss how smooth and precise the stock throttle feels...

What's your take fast guys/racers? Is QT a MUST for you?

·
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!
4,811 Posts
So for a big chunk of my track career, I've used a quick throttle by motion pro. While the benefits are pretty obvious, I've began to question if I really need it any more.

I've always loved the obvious benefit of quickly getting on full throttle without having to put my wrist in a weird shape or do the twist, hold with thumb get another grab and twist again trick.

BUT one thing I've never enjoyed on my motion pro is the fact that it feels sooo choppy when I first start opening the throttle on the exit.

Anyway I've played with my friend's R6 in the pits for a while and I think I kind of miss how smooth and precise the stock throttle feels...

What's your take fast guys/racers? Is QT a MUST for you?
I bought one but its sitting in my parts tote. I don't think its essential to be fast. Same as quickshifters. I am amazed at "what" folks think they need.

I remember I let a friend ride my bike at the track. He came back with a laundry list of parts "he needed" to go fast.:lmao I hopped right on his bike and went a 1/2 second faster than his personal best... on 4 different laps. :D

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I totally agree you on that one. I know a lot of people who can destroy me on a stock bike. In my defense though I really didn't quite get the twist, hold with thumb get another grab and twist again technique down. That's why I got one.

However I'm at a point where I can do more things on the bike as I ride faster. I got used to just angling my wrist out of corners so that I can twist to full throttle in one move. So I'm thinking of letting go the QT benefit for a more precise operation.

·
Make good choices.
2,808 Posts
This is because your map is junk. Get your bike tuned by someone good and the quick turn throttle can be very smooth too.

·
track junkie
2,257 Posts
sometimes i wish i kept everything stock on my bike. it seems that every time i make a "mod" i have one less reason to explain why i'm still slow...

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
no "need" for a quick throttle. Can they be nice ? sure. I have never used one, but i know plenty that do.
A quick shifter ?? for track riding especially, yea , you don't have to have one, until you rode awhile WITH one, then you will forever wish you had one in the event you are forced to ride on the track without it.. I was asked to do the 4 hour endurance with a team this coming weekend at JenningsGP. My standard "requirement" is a quick shifter. I flat fu kcing refuse to ride a bike, especially for a long time, without one.

I totally agree about mapping being the biggest issue with bikes that have jerky throttle response. There is a current ongoing thread in another forum, and everyone keeps saying "it's your chain slack".. holy crap.. LOL. Have you seen the chain slack on real pro tuned race bikes ? they should be "smiling at ya" as the saying goes. Crazy sloppy ? no, but they should not be tight by ANY means.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
bike is stock don't need a quick throttle.
not really sure that has anything to do with it.. just comes down to the never ending list of "need" vs. "want" on EVERY aftermarket/performance tid-bit you can stick on your bike. Some offer more benefit than others. Unlimited budget? who cares.. just say "gimmie the lot".. ;)

·
Registered
41 Posts
bump thread.........i have the exact same issue that Gurk described - and on the same vintage R6 to boot!

Gurk did you ever get to the bottom of your issue?

·
wat?
722 Posts
bump thread.........i have the exact same issue that Gurk described - and on the same vintage R6 to boot!

Gurk did you ever get to the bottom of your issue?
His issue could have been tune... but it just as easily could have been lack of smooth throttle application. Shortening the throw means that you have to be even smoother when opening the throttle and rolling on.

FWIW I'm a fan of the Graves throttle tube. Costs more than the motion pro, but the initial roll on is more gradual like the stock tube, and then it ramps up so you get the benefit of a quick turn. Best of both worlds imo.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thank you, yes suspect it's a case of me whacking the throttle although interestingly a very experienced racer just mentioned to me that he had a hard time adjusting to the motion pro .

Have you tried the motion pro also? Is there a big difference? I checked and the graves has rave reviews and is only a few dollars more. Is it worth getting if I already have the motio pro one? Cheers!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Wow this is strange ....the graves one is 129$ so actually costs less than the motion pro which was about 100 English pounds!

·
wat?
722 Posts
Here is a pic comparing the stock to the graves. You can see the gradual ramp at the beginning, and then the rest of it is a similar smaller circumference for a shorter throw.

There are plenty of people who are fast with the stock tube, and fast with the motion pro, and fast with the graves. This is really one of those personal preference things. I personally prefer the graves because, combined with a good tune, the bike does not get upset at all when adding throttle from full closed. And I could not get to full throttle consistently with the stocker. So I would say it is worth a try.

Fwiw it took me no time at all to adapt to the graves from the stocker. Just felt smooth and right from day 1.

ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1431362624.869729.jpg

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks very much, most helpful.

I guess difficult metric for a progressive throttle but overall how much would you say is the reduction in the throw distance for full throttle (versus stock).

Am going to place an order now.

Fyi just saw the new motion pro short throttle and they've started including a progressive wheel as well - but that apparently is similar to stock up to 40% throttle opening before the effects of the shorter throw are noticeable. That's too long for my liking ...graves it is then

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
I'm on an '05 with a Motion Pro, and really like it. I've got a telemetry on the bike, and it helped tremendously with getting to full throttle.

The lack of progressiveness isn't that big of a deal. I noticed it leaving the hot pit the first time I rode with it, but was totally comfortable with it after riding a session.

The Motion Pro also has a bunch of reels to choose from, so you can find the right balance of short throw vs. twitchiness for you.

·
Registered
41 Posts
yeah i guess its a case of getting used to it. i cant figure out why i got comfortable using the second largest reel with my last r6 (same vintage) but i struggle with that reel on the current bike and have had to downsize to one smaller....

·
Registered
41 Posts
thanks for the various replies and PMs guys, appreciated!

im giving some thought to fabricating my own throttle wheel. i have the largest motion pro wheel which is too aggressive for me to use. so thinking about reducing the circumference of the wheel for the initial part by sanding it down - so that it essentially becomes a progressive throttle. the thing thats confusing me now is which side of the throttle wheel do i sand - should this be the side of the throttle opening cable or the closing cable??

·
Yamaha 4 Life
514 Posts
Old thread, but what the hell!

The quick answer, yes, it is.

The OEM throttle has such a long throw that is requires me to readjust my wrist out on the track to get to full throttle which is super annoying.

The throttle twitchiness that the OP refers to can be corrected with an ECU flash and will no longer be an issue, even with the largest 50mm throttle wheel.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts