Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon,

I'm looking to do my direct access. Would the R6 be an acceptable bike to start on?

·
Stunt Rider
7,982 Posts
Yes.

·
"Old Slow Guy"
40 Posts
Not sure what is meant by "direct access", but if it means he has no previous riding experience, I don't think any of the modern 600cc sportbikes are good for true beginners. It's easy to say you'd keep the rpm's down below a certain rpm, but panic combined with a lack of experience can easily get you killed. I'd recommend something more like a clean used 250 or CRB/ZX500 to get used to riding, then sell for nearly as much as you bought it for when the time comes to upgrade to a 600.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank You, direct access is an intensive course, when you take your test its on 600cc machines.

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts
Just a spammer guys.

·
Living The Dream
3,806 Posts
only if you like penis in your mouth!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I did a direct access course to pass my test. The difference between what you will take your test on and an R6 is day and night. On Mercury.. I recommend you read the thread 'So you want a sports bike' that is sticky in this forum.

Below 6K my R6 (2003) is slow. Slow as in only as quick as my 240BHP car.

If you want to ignore the post there and buy something like an R6 or Ninja, then, well, good luck. You are going to need it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I did a direct access course to pass my test. The difference between what you will take your test on and an R6 is day and night. On Mercury.. I recommend you read the thread 'So you want a sports bike' that is sticky in this forum.

Below 6K my R6 (2003) is slow. Slow as in only as quick as my 240BHP car.

If you want to ignore the post there and buy something like an R6 or Ninja, then, well, good luck. You are going to need it.
Thats what i wanted, Thank You

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thats what i wanted, Thank You
You're welcome :)

But seriously, buy something slow (which will more than likely still smoke a Porche) for your first year or two whilst you learn what riding is and work your way up to something like the R6.

And remember ATKATT!!!! (Buy the kit before the bike, buy the bike with the remianing cash)

·
Weeeeeeeeeeeee
1,667 Posts
op's been here for 5 years and hasn't ridden before???

·
"Old Slow Guy"
40 Posts
op's been here for 5 years and hasn't ridden before???
Sounds like OP has ridden before, but is now just getting serious about getting into racing, but I may be wrong (wouldn't be the first or last time lol)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I wonder if it is someone who has been interested for a while, but is only now getting the license.

In the UK you can only ride a bike up to 33bhp until you are 21 or have three years on your license. But going to DAL route it is more difficult to get your license, but you can ride anything immediately. As long as you are 21 or older - you can't get around that restriction.

It's just a road license though, not racing.

·
Registered
23 Posts
wtf is direct access
What I said :)

A "normal" bike license in the UK allows you to ride a 33bhp bike for three years, after that it's unlimited. You can take this test on a 125cc bike if you want.

If you are over 21 then you can take a "direct access" test (on a bigger bike) immediately have access to any bike.

·
I hate mosquitoes...
196 Posts
I started on my R6, believe me, it's not the best bike to start on. I would've bought a different bike, not a sportsbike, if i had the chance to do it all over again...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts