Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
......to shorten the distance you have to move the shift lever to get into the next gear. Basically I want the a short throw shifter like you can get for cars?

Any ideas?

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,815 Posts
i never did hear or read anything like that. for a shorter throw, either the lever at the gear box has to be longer or the lever at the rear set to where the rod is connected to has to be longer. either way i would think the rod itself would have to be mounted outside the frame because of the longer levers.

why do you want to do that anyway? are you draggin your toes in the corners? if so get some aftermarket rear sets and position it higher.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I think adjsutable rearsets allow you to do it. You could alos take off the shifter, cut it and weld it back together shorter. But my ? is why?, do you have little feet? :hammer

·
IQ = Post Count
1,734 Posts
stoneloco808 said:
for a shorter throw, either the lever at the gear box has to be longer or the lever at the rear set to where the rod is connected to has to be longer.
Shorter levers would make the throw shorter, just like in a car. It's like a radius of a circle, shorter the radius=shorter the circumference.

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,815 Posts
NoLegs said:
Shorter levers would make the throw shorter, just like in a car. It's like a radius of a circle, shorter the radius=shorter the circumference.
LOL!!! got me on that one. thats what i get for sneakin some heinekin to work.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
I personally don't see the point, in a car it makes sense, but not on a bike.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You would do this for the same reason you do it on a car, a shorter throw on the shifter means you can get it into the next gear faster, which means less time your off the throttle, so you can accelerate faster. Surely you guys get that, right? :poke

Don't start with "clutchless is faster" 'cause I can shift just as fast with the clutch as I can without.

Not what is holding me back from shifting faster is the length you have to move the lever between shifts.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
NoLegs said:
z31maniac said:
Don't start with "clutchless is faster" 'cause I can shift just as fast with the clutch as I can without.
Then you don't know how to clutchless shift. Executed correctly, a clutchless shift will always be quicker.
No, because whether you use the clutch or not it still takes the same amount of time to move the SHIFT lever. It's all about timing with the clutch, which I have down. That split second when you have to roll off the throttle with clutchless shifting is when I pull in the clutch as I shift, PRESTO, perfect gear change thats just as fast.

When banging through the gears I use one finger on the clutch and just pull it in enough to disengage gears, 1/2" at most. I have practiced both alot and shift at the same speed. Not to mention I would rather have the wear on the clutch then engagement dogs.

"Properly executed clutchless shifts don't do any damage to your tranny."

I don't know anyone who has told me this that has actually had the same bike more than 10,000 miles, its about long term harm for me as I will be paying on my bike forever. Clutch $100, tranny $1000+. I'm poor, so I pick clutch. :OFF RANT

Now, has anyone heard of anything like this or know how to try and do it.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
NoLegs said:
stoneloco808 said:
for a shorter throw, either the lever at the gear box has to be longer or the lever at the rear set to where the rod is connected to has to be longer.
So do you think it would be possible to build another shift lever that is a little bit shorter?

·
Registered
112 Posts
If you want speed, why not do what a lot of racers do and reverse the gears, 1 up 5 down. When shifting all you have to do is tap down to go to the next gear. It is as simple as rotating your shift linkage. I've ridden bikes modified like this, and it is much faster to shift, but it takes some getting used to. I kept down shifting by going up on the gears. Personally, I don't like it. I've been riding 1 down 5 up for too long.

·
IQ = Post Count
1,734 Posts
z31maniac said:
No, because whether you use the clutch or not it still takes the same amount of time to move the SHIFT lever. It's all about timing with the clutch, which I have down. That split second when you have to roll off the throttle with clutchless shifting is when I pull in the clutch as I shift, PRESTO, perfect gear change thats just as fast.

When banging through the gears I use one finger on the clutch and just pull it in enough to disengage gears, 1/2" at most. I have practiced both alot and shift at the same speed. Not to mention I would rather have the wear on the clutch then engagement dogs.
I understand what you are saying, BUT when using the clutch you are getting some slip (between the discs), it may be minimal, but you are getting some slip. Clutchless shifting will not have this slip and if you perfect the throttle blip, the bike will shift faster. I guess if you had some sort of speed trap set up, you could put both theories to the test, but this is unlikey to happen, so we could probably just to agree to disagree and press on with your original question.

Now, I don't know a lot about interchangable levers between bikes, but I guess if another bike used the same size shaft as the R6, you could compare the two until you found a shorter one. If you could find this lever, I don't think it would have to be much shorter and you could probably tell the difference with a lever just an 1/8" shorter. Just an idea.

·
IQ = Post Count
1,734 Posts
Darkangel said:
If you want speed, why not do what a lot of racers do and reverse the gears, 1 up 5 down. When shifting all you have to do is tap down to go to the next gear. It is as simple as rotating your shift linkage. I've ridden bikes modified like this, and it is much faster to shift, but it takes some getting used to. I kept down shifting by going up on the gears. Personally, I don't like it. I've been riding 1 down 5 up for too long.
Someone on this forum switched to GP shifting for a wapping $0. They flipped the lever around on the transmission (facing up now) and bent the stock rod (carefully) so it went around the frame instead of through it. I'll see if I can dig up the thread...

Found it, it was TexasR6 that did it. Thread Here

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
You should just buy the quick shift set-up from Dynojet.

No matter what you do to make the throw shorter, you won't get any faster at shifting than you can shift now. Even if their was way to "accurately" measure the difference, you still would probably see no big change.

Clutchless shifting and or a quick shifter set-up like Dynojets, is going to be you fastest shift.

Even after a quick shifter, i'm more than satisfied with the speed that i'm able to shift. I guess i just dont' see fabricating any kind of shorter shifter to give you a posibility of a quicker shift. After all, you still have to have two hands, and a foot to keep in synch which is going to be a different time always.

The dynojet quick shifter takes only one movement of the foot......that's why it's faster, it cuts out the drivers other two movements.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
RedlineR6 said:
You should just buy the quick shift set-up from Dynojet.

No matter what you do to make the throw shorter, you won't get any faster at shifting than you can shift now. Even if their was way to "accurately" measure the difference, you still would probably see no big change.

Clutchless shifting and or a quick shifter set-up like Dynojets, is going to be you fastest shift.

Even after a quick shifter, i'm more than satisfied with the speed that i'm able to shift. I guess i just dont' see fabricating any kind of shorter shifter to give you a posibility of a quicker shift. After all, you still have to have two hands, and a foot to keep in synch which is going to be a different time always.

The dynojet quick shifter takes only one movement of the foot......that's why it's faster, it cuts out the drivers other two movements.
I was hoping it would be faster because with a shorter lever it would be easier for me to get my foot at it. I only have a 9 1/2 shoe the heel puts my foot at a funny spot on the peg and shifter.

I think I will try a Woodcraft Rod and see if it helps.

·
Registered
586 Posts
If you know a good welder have him cut out a section of the the lever itself. And if your pulling the clutch with one finger and that fast, it's probably less clutch than clutchless. Know what I mean? not fully disengaging?

·
Registered
112 Posts
NoLegs said:
Darkangel said:
Someone on this forum switched to GP shifting for a wapping $0. They flipped the lever around on the transmission (facing up now) and bent the stock rod (carefully) so it went around the frame instead of through it. I'll see if I can dig up the thread...

Found it, it was TexasR6 that did it. Thread Here

Yep that's the way to do it. And its FREE as well as easy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts