Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noob question here: While putting my headers back on the bike tonight and installing my Yosh slip-on, I looked down into my headers (from where the slipon goes) and I noticed that each of the two tubes has some type of core, honeycomb looking stuff inside of it. Does anyone have this on their MJS? My second question: are my headers definitely MJS? I was told they were when I bought the bike, but if no one else has heard of this then I'm a little bit skeptical. I posted a picture of my headers from the bottom, and I circled the area where I noticed the core. I didn't think to get a picture looking down the tube, but I can always take off my slipon and snap a picture. Thanks

·
Registered
287 Posts
That's the pre-cat, those are stock headers. You do have a mid pipe though, and its a possibility that is a MJS part.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
damn, that explains a lot. is there anyway to remove the precat? they look to be kind of far in there. will this negatively affect performance opposed to having full MJS headers? And im assuming the precats will probably dampen sound quite a bit?

·
Registered
287 Posts
you can beat them out with a hammer and chisel quite easily. cut them into small pieces so once its all out theyre easy to remove. its not going to give you any noticeable gains, just noise.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good to know, thanks guys. Not trying to sound like a noob dick here, but do they really dampen sound the sound that much? I obviously want as nice of a grumble as possible, but not that the expense of running like crap. Also, Ant currently has my ECU right now, and Im letting him know of the changes just in case it would require a different tune since I told him I was running full MJS. What a pain in my dick.

·
Pobrecitos
19,910 Posts
Good to know, thanks guys. Not trying to sound like a noob dick here, but do they really dampen sound the sound that much? I obviously want as nice of a grumble as possible, but not that the expense of running like crap. Also, Ant currently has my ECU right now, and Im letting him know of the changes just in case it would require a different tune since I told him I was running full MJS. What a pain in my dick.
He'll tell you himself to at least leave the honey comb (pre cat); ask him..:fact.

I makes a noticeable difference in sound, but to me, it was annoying.

I'm running an M4 middy, with GYTR slip and it's not very loud with the comb still in.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks like I'll be leaving them in. As of right now I'm running a Yosh TRC slip on with the Ypipe and a ECU flash from Ant, I'll talk to him about tuning stuff. I imagine it would probably run a little different as opposed to full MJS with the Yosh.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts