Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 2008 R6 last July (2014), and just have recently starting ripping it apart to put new 2008 oem fairings on it. Problem - upon taking the fairings off, I learned of the following -

The FRAME is 2008. The ONLY thing about the bike that is 08.

The engine is 06-07.

The subframe is 06.

The front end and headlights are 06.

What are my options? Nothing will bolt properly, even if I went with an 06 fairing kit.

I live in NYS btw, I'm not sure how much legal recourse I have for this.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Title and VIN follows the frame so I don't believe you'll have Much recourse. Maybe try to run the VIN from the motor and see if it was stolen? Sounds like someone had the bike without a title and swapped the frame to make a quick buck. The fairings between the 06-07 and 08+ are pretty identifiable so it should've raised a red flag upfront if the front end was a 06-07.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah at the time I wasn't as knowledgeable about bikes as I am now. :/

I know for sure that 08 fairings will not fit. Will 06 fairings fit properly? They had 06 oem on there, but it appears they were cob-jobbed on. Not quite sure they will bolt up properly.

The title/frame is clean and clear. I'm thinking about contacting the dmv or state pd and have them run the engine serial to check if it's stolen.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm not sure about a full swap but at the very least I would say an 08+ fairing stay and subframe will get you close if not allow you to bolt up the 08+ fairings.

·
Love my bike
1,398 Posts
The 06-07 and the 08 plus engine looks exactly the same from the outside. How are you so sure it was swapped? If you post some pics we can probably help

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
j512e-****** is the engine stamp. The subframe has a 2006 sticker on it. The 08 fairings don't line up, and it had shitty rigged 06 fairings on it when I bought it.

·
nom nom nom nom nom nom
1,251 Posts
The subframe and front fairing stay are the starting points. Do you know what tank it has on it? The tank and the headlights will add some cost. Hopefully the bodywork, subframe, tank etc. that are on it now are worth selling. From what I've read, you shouldn't have issues putting the 08+ tank on the 06-07 airbox (other way around is when issues arise). Do you know what forks are on it? The front brake discs were also 0.5mm thicker on the 08+ bikes.

If you want to keep it, you might as well swap all the bodywork and everything else needed to do the swap. Just don't skimp like the last guy. If you plan on having it a while, you could swap the wiring harness/airbox/throttle bodies over and pick up a few hp where it counts. At least then you can basically say the only thing not 08+ about it is the actual engine.

·
Prostar
477 Posts
Just becarefull. If something ends up being stolen, they could confiscate your bike, and you will lose it all

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Yeah, but at least he may have options. If the seller can be proven to be the thief, he can sue for damages. If the seller is a scamming thief, he deserves to be caught and have his future employability reduced to hamburger flipper for his actions, not to mention have his bank account hit.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
Now, for everyone's favorite guessing game, IS THIS ILLEGAL!!!!!

·
Registered
484 Posts
You should be able to fit 06-07 fairings just fine; the subframe and fairing stay are the key aspects for determining bodywork fitment other than the tank and the frames are the same design (I don't have direct experience with the 06/07, so I might be wrong or forgetting one aspect). The only issue you run in to is if you want to sell this down the line then it looks quite shady to have 06/07 fairings on an 08 - not that this already isn't an unfortunate situation to begin with. I would opt for a different subframe and fairing stay, use 08 fairings and keep the engine.

As long as the frame is clean then you should be fine, legally speaking.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Yeah, but at least he may have options. If the seller can be proven to be the thief, he can sue for damages. If the seller is a scamming thief, he deserves to be caught and have his future employability reduced to hamburger flipper for his actions, not to mention have his bank account hit.

I understand that. But he would have to mess with lawyers and stuff in order to get his money back, and if he gets it back. Its a long and maybe costly journey

·
iRun
33,317 Posts

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts

·
Prostar
477 Posts
I understand that. But he would have to mess with lawyers and stuff in order to get his money back, and if he gets it back. Its a long and maybe costly journey

He could go small claims which wouldnt require a lawyer at all, or if he wanted one any litigation lawyer worth his salt would ask the judge to make the defendant cover the plaintiffs legal expenses which they typically award.

Most small claim litigation lawyers operate on a "no-charge unless we win" basis. That is, they will review the merits of your suit and if they feel you have a solid case theyll take it for a percentage of the anticipated award. Theyll usually use all kinds of BS to jack up the dmages to offset their cut and then some.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts