Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '04 now has just over 2000 miles and it seems to be making more power with every trip to the redline. BTW I meticulously broke the bike-in.

In the last week it feels like the bike is starting to pick up the front at the top of first gear. And it pulls the wheel up in the shift to second.

·
I own you
121 Posts
I have not ever noticed a difference in power as time goes by, and I followed the break in procedures just as the book said...

·
Registered
281 Posts
maybe its your riding style progressing as you get to know the bike better and how it handles in different ways. i think i felt some of the same things as i grew into mine. these bikes have AMAZING potential and it takes some riding to start to realize how so very far you can take it :hammer i learn new things all the time about my riding and how my bike reacts to what i make it do, and i've had it for 2 years!

long story short: ride in your limits, the bike can likely handle far more than you can dish out :cheers

·
Registered
17 Posts
It is quite possible that you will gain a few horse power as your bike starts to fully break-in. I used to work at an Italian motorcycle tuner shop. We saw new bikes on the dyno pick up sometimes up to 5 hp after they got a few thousand miles on them.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What is the HP range our bikes are supposed to be at the rear wheel. I remeber on the title it 117HP, but that is at the crank. I have read and heard so many different things, and want to hear your guys experience.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
You can most certainly gain horse as the engine "loosens up!" To a point though.

Like Kenji said, it's usually 1000-3000 miles. And just how much can be gained does have alot to do with the way it is broken in.........not gonna start another "my dick's bigger than your's" post. So that's all i'm gonna say.
:hammer

·
Registered
359 Posts
Hey z31maniac, drove past you guys last night didn't get a chance to stop I was on my way to work. I don't know if you were there but man I can't wait to get a chance to ride with you guys. Hopefully I'll be able to tomorrow night.

·
Registered
283 Posts
i thought it was just me but, it did feel like i gained a few ponies after the break in , felt more diff after changing to motul 5100

·
Registered
261 Posts
Yeti said:
maybe its your riding style progressing as you get to know the bike better and how it handles in different ways. i think i felt some of the same things as i grew into mine. these bikes have AMAZING potential and it takes some riding to start to realize how so very far you can take it :hammer i learn new things all the time about my riding and how my bike reacts to what i make it do, and i've had it for 2 years!

long story short: ride in your limits, the bike can likely handle far more than you can dish out :cheers
as he said, I never redlined my bike. one day i punch it and my front starts to go up and i finaly realized what this bike has and can do. It shocked me but it was fun. I notice my bike got a little tourquier when i installed my exhaust.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah Jay if by last night you meant Wed night that was us I was there. The dates on the posts are always screwy. Yours said it was from tommorrow.

We actually scared a couple of guys off tonight we started with 11 ended up with 8. I guess they don't like going FAST. Oh well to each his own.

Dont know if ill get to ride tom night, gotta come up with some stories for Public Affairs Reporting. If there is ever any other day you want to ride PM we can usually get at least 3-5 guys on short notice

·
Registered
786 Posts
When I got my bike at 288 km (200 miles?) it was very quiet.. but the more I've rode it..... its starting to slowly change sound...... around 4000 rpm.. the exhaust is now "burbling" ... such a beautiful sound... different from the other parts of the tach.....

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's official it has to be making more power now at 2300 miles then it was at 1000. When it was first broken in it did not even think about lifting the front in 1st under WOT.

Now when it hits about 10k in first it starts to lift the wheel up under WOT. And that is without chopping the throttle and that kind of stuff, just start about 5k open it up.

I am really curious to get it on the dyno now.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
ya my bike is pulling a lot harder now than it did when i first got it (1900 miles)

·
Banned
4,021 Posts
its possible you gained a HP or 2. but the oil thing can actually help out to so you might notice a bit of difference there :cheers

·
Banned
4,021 Posts
z31maniac said:
What is the oil thing? I am still using Yamalube.
the oil thing is switching over to a good synthetic. it reduces rotating mass in your engine and reduces friction better then conventional oil there for creating a little more HP. :cheers

1 - 17 of 17 Posts