Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
2008 R6, SS600
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right, my racefit style can is kicking out 120dB+ lol. Unsurprisingly, the sound checker at a 105dB trackday i rode in Oulton Park, England last month, totally pissed himself when i attempted to hit the 105 limit!

I filled the link pipe with wire wool, and managed to get it to 102dB, passing the test, but then i took it out and rode the trackday. I got a few sessions in, but on the last session i was blackflagged and had to swap to my original can (which is reeeeeally dislike...)

So... If i put the baffle into the exhaust (which doesn't work at all despite fitting well), will it be safe to put a fair amount of wire wool fairly tightly packed intot he can, with the baffle being in place purely to stop the wire wool from coming out.

Will the wirewool ignite?? Or would it be ok? It works to pass the noise limit, but would i be ok to keep it in for the whole day?? Anyone ever done it???

Bongo

·
2008 R6, SS600
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no mate you don't understand... It's not a racefit can, it's an MTC can and is the same style as the racefit one. I DO have a baffle, which does not get rid of 20dB which is what is required...

Using wire wool DOES work, for the sound test, but is it safe to leave in for the whole day, or will it ignite...

·
I miss Cali rides :/
1,040 Posts
why not use the fiberglass packing? you can get a fmf repack for like 12-20 bux. i wouldnt trust the steel wool. if it does ignite, prolly wont go out till its finished burning since its steel. ever see the vid of ppl using it for survival kits? i dunno i would go with the fiberglass repack myself. ive had to many instances of going cheap and then it backfiring on me. my .02

btw: here is a douchpipe making a sparkler or something outta steel wool...imagine that catching in your tailpipe.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8857296526337137156&q=steel+wool&total=531&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=2

·
I whore my R6
1,874 Posts
after seeing that i would not use steel wool, might cause bigger problems, the track will reallly hate you shooting sparks all over the track

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
yeah, steel wool will ignite. Its actually a perfect flame catcher and flame holder while camping. I wouldn't suggest putting it in your tailpipe. It probably won't hurt anything in your can, but over the course of the day, it will break down and fly out of the pipe, possible hitting people behind you and causing really bad things.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts