Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Motorcycle Race VIP Guy
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So 2 weeks ago I was out riding the R6 (First time this season). First off, I was having issues starting the bike. Would have to hold the starter a bit longer than normal for it to actually start, and after riding up to Saratoga (45min ride), it stalled in the city and took me 6 tries giving it gas to get it going.

My mods: BMC Filter, M4 Cat Delete, Hotbodies MGP Growler, AGG Block Offs, Bazzaz

Soooo, later that evening, closer to home me and some friends were going to get some ice cream on our bikes. Riding down the road going ~35mph, go to shift, let out the clutch and the bike just dies - CEL Code 39.

Had to walk it to my buddies house as it wouldn't start, never ever started, had to UHaul it home.

Figured it was the Bazzaz --- soooo, I bought a Power Commander V and uninstalled the Bazzaz.

Put the Power Commander V on, just finished it, started the bike up and IT RAN! (Though not that good). So I let it warm up, and just give it some minor revs to make sure everythings in check - NOPE, not-in-check-at-all. Bike stalls.

I'm thinking it may be because it doesn't have a map, so, I put a map from their website on the bike, and by judging by the map, the bike should at least run fine like a bike should.

Bike starts up, idles, revs, but then when I let off the gas, it stumbles on its face, eventually stalling. When I try to restart the bike, it refuses to stay on.

I'm at a complete loss. Any ideas? I'm ready to push it off a cliff, burn it with fire, take an ax to it ....etc etc etc etc

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
Fuel pump taking a shit?

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
Um, so you bought a PCV to "fix" your problem without doing any sort of diagnosing? Did you even trying running it with the Bazzaz disconnected? That would have let you know right away if that was the problem.

First off, grab the manual. It's full of troubleshooting guides that will be more helpful than anything anyone on here is going to write.

Three things need to be happening correctly for an engine to run - you need fuel, air and spark. Based on your description, I would guess it's an ignition (spark) problem. But this is a guess - YOU NEED TO TEST STUFF TO FIND OUT WHAT'S WRONG. Read the manual and find out how to test the coils, check over the spark plug wires, the plugs themselves. A real simple test is to pull spark plugs individually, keep it plugged in, ground it against the block, and kick the starter and see if it's sparking. If you find one that isn't sparking, start tracing it back through the system.

If that all checks out, look at the fuel system. Fuel pump, injectors, etc.

It's not too likely to be 'air' related. There's not too much to go wrong there. TPS sensor maybe. Or like ... you've got a bird stuck in your intake cutting off the air supply. I hope you would have noticed that though. :laugh

Don't buy any more parts until you've identified what's broken, by testing it. Basic science stuff here.

·
Living The Dream
3,806 Posts
easy fix......give it to me!!

youre welcome

ill even help you out with shipping :)

·
AFM #327
15,209 Posts
is the battery okay? Is the fuel line pinched? Any recent work done where tank was removed, resulting in pinched fuel line?

I'm having related issues on my RSV4 occasionally. It will not start, weak start, even if I ran the bike a good 50-100 miles. It starts fine when cold, but when warmed up, has weak starts occasionally. It even stopped once when running just fine. Check charging system, seems fine. Will have to check if fuel line is pinched under the tank then go onto the fuel pump itself.

·
12,482 Posts
I had a similar issue...

my coils were all shot/cracked. The dealer found the coils sparking when the engine fired.

·
Living The Dream
3,806 Posts
is the battery okay? Is the fuel line pinched? Any recent work done where tank was removed, resulting in pinched fuel line?

I'm having related issues on my RSV4 occasionally. It will not start, weak start, even if I ran the bike a good 50-100 miles. It starts fine when cold, but when warmed up, has weak starts occasionally. It even stopped once when running just fine. Check charging system, seems fine. Will have to check if fuel line is pinched under the tank then go onto the fuel pump itself.
this is the only thing i could think of as the problem or unless op's bazzaz if freaking out for some strange reason..check the connections to that as well

·
iRun
33,317 Posts
this is the only thing i could think of as the problem or unless op's bazzaz if freaking out for some strange reason..check the connections to that as well
This. Also check to make sure all the plugs for the bazzaz are installed correctly. None are unplugged and none are in the wrong spot. That shit happens to the best of us. Also make sure that if any of your bazzaz connections are using scotch-locks that you remove them and SOLDER them together. Scotchlocks suck.

http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47022

This says it's an open circuit in the injectors. My bet is you have something plugged in wrong and a cylinder isn't firing.

·
Motorcycle Race VIP Guy
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've had the fuel tank off, and on between these recent starts so I doubt a line is pinched, I've put it back on carefully.

The Bazzaz is what caused the Code 39, so the Bazzaz is no longer in use ... the bike wouldn't do anything once the Code 39 happened - but, the bike ran fine for all of last year with the Bazzaz and for about 30 miles this year prior to the Code 39 appearing. (Bazzaz was on the bike for a good 5000 miles, so installation isn't the issue)

When I say it wouldn't do anything ... I mean, not even a burp.

With the Power Commander on, the bike did turn on ... I just find it weird that now the bike will start but it won't stay on.

I've had this bike taken apart every damn year I've owned it for maintenance stuff. Plugs are relatively new (less than 5k miles), I'll check the coils and wires next but realllyyyy didn't want to get involved in the bike this year, just wanted to ride the damn thing.

More and more I deal with this bike, the more I think I'm going to get it running and just sell it.

·
iRun
33,317 Posts
I've had the fuel tank off, and on between these recent starts so I doubt a line is pinched, I've put it back on carefully.

The Bazzaz is what caused the Code 39, so the Bazzaz is no longer in use ... the bike wouldn't do anything once the Code 39 happened - but, the bike ran fine for all of last year with the Bazzaz and for about 30 miles this year prior to the Code 39 appearing. (Bazzaz was on the bike for a good 5000 miles, so installation isn't the issue)

When I say it wouldn't do anything ... I mean, not even a burp.

With the Power Commander on, the bike did turn on ... I just find it weird that now the bike will start but it won't stay on.

I've had this bike taken apart every damn year I've owned it for maintenance stuff. Plugs are relatively new (less than 5k miles), I'll check the coils and wires next but realllyyyy didn't want to get involved in the bike this year, just wanted to ride the damn thing.

More and more I deal with this bike, the more I think I'm going to get it running and just sell it.
Dude. Calm down. I bet one of the connections for the bazzaz (maybe the power) rattled loose. That'll make it stop and stay in one spot in a pretty big hurry. If something's legitimately wrong with the bazzaz, call 'em up. They're hella handy on the phone and if the unit is jacked I bet they'd work with you.

·
AFM #327
15,209 Posts
Dude. Calm down. I bet one of the connections for the bazzaz (maybe the power) rattled loose. That'll make it stop and stay in one spot in a pretty big hurry. If something's legitimately wrong with the bazzaz, call 'em up. They're hella handy on the phone and if the unit is jacked I bet they'd work with you.
Ask Ricky...he had to push his bike back home after his scotch lock came undone .....

:lmao

I still dont see a valid point of why the bazzaz was the cause...any tests you did to figure that out?

·
Motorcycle Race VIP Guy
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Ask Ricky...he had to push his bike back home after his scotch lock came undone .....

:lmao

I still dont see a valid point of why the bazzaz was the cause...any tests you did to figure that out?
I pushed the bike as well... only half a mile thankfully, but, that was a half mile too far to push a bike :hammer

I searched Code 39 on here, you will find thread after thread relating it to the Bazzaz.

I know it was the Bazzaz that caused it Because when that occurred, the bike would just sit there and crank - that's it, no burp, no sputter, absolutely nothing. I tried starting it numerous times that night before I just gave up, and then tried it the next day - still the same thing.

I then removed the Bazzaz, and put on a Power Commander. Code 39 went away and the bike did in fact start - however, it will now no longer stay started, it stalls, and then it won't restart unless I rev it to the moon.

***Which when the Bazzaz was on, regardless if the throttle was pinned WOT, it wouldn't do anything***

****Also when removing the Bazzaz, I first made sure all connections were good, which, they were - and nothing was crimped****

I'm pretty calm by the way. If I come off as stressed, well sure, every bike I've owned seems to shit out problems at me, but, I ain't sweating it.

·
Pobrecitos
19,910 Posts
I had a code 39 when my battery took a shit on the freeway... It was strange but if the bazzaz wasn't getting power, I could see this.
http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-161202.html

Didn't read through but how's your battery? Also, what if your brake harness (power tap) took a shit?

The power commander might of had an incorrect map to keep the bike going?

·
iRun
33,317 Posts
I pushed the bike as well... only half a mile thankfully, but, that was a half mile too far to push a bike :hammer

I searched Code 39 on here, you will find thread after thread relating it to the Bazzaz.

I know it was the Bazzaz that caused it Because when that occurred, the bike would just sit there and crank - that's it, no burp, no sputter, absolutely nothing. I tried starting it numerous times that night before I just gave up, and then tried it the next day - still the same thing.

I then removed the Bazzaz, and put on a Power Commander. Code 39 went away and the bike did in fact start - however, it will now no longer stay started, it stalls, and then it won't restart unless I rev it to the moon.

***Which when the Bazzaz was on, regardless if the throttle was pinned WOT, it wouldn't do anything***

****Also when removing the Bazzaz, I first made sure all connections were good, which, they were - and nothing was crimped****

I'm pretty calm by the way. If I come off as stressed, well sure, every bike I've owned seems to shit out problems at me, but, I ain't sweating it.

Crimped is irrelevant. If you used scotchlocks at ALL, you need to remove them and solder the wires. Do that. Get back to us. Or you could remove all the fuel controllers period, and see if it starts.

Also, forgive me for thinking you were stressed. Your thread title said you were gonna set the thing on fire. :laugh

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts
Um, so you bought a PCV to "fix" your problem without doing any sort of diagnosing? Did you even trying running it with the Bazzaz disconnected? That would have let you know right away if that was the problem.

First off, grab the manual. It's full of troubleshooting guides that will be more helpful than anything anyone on here is going to write.

Three things need to be happening correctly for an engine to run - you need fuel, air and spark. Based on your description, I would guess it's an ignition (spark) problem. But this is a guess - YOU NEED TO TEST STUFF TO FIND OUT WHAT'S WRONG. Read the manual and find out how to test the coils, check over the spark plug wires, the plugs themselves. A real simple test is to pull spark plugs individually, keep it plugged in, ground it against the block, and kick the starter and see if it's sparking. If you find one that isn't sparking, start tracing it back through the system.

If that all checks out, look at the fuel system. Fuel pump, injectors, etc.

It's not too likely to be 'air' related. There's not too much to go wrong there. TPS sensor maybe. Or like ... you've got a bird stuck in your intake cutting off the air supply. I hope you would have noticed that though. :laugh

Don't buy any more parts until you've identified what's broken, by testing it. Basic science stuff here.
^^^ Took the words right out of my mouth. Glad he got to type that all.

Crimped is irrelevant. If you used scotchlocks at ALL, you need to remove them and solder the wires. Do that. Get back to us. Or you could remove all the fuel controllers period, and see if it starts.

^^^ Also very valid point. There's two kinds of people that use those garbage ass crimp connectors. Those that are just ignorant, and those that are mentally retarded. It's one thing to use them for something like a turn signal wire, but as part of a wiring harness that's critical for the damn bike to run, yeah, anything less than soldering is just plain stupid.

·
Motorcycle Race VIP Guy
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Also, forgive me for thinking you were stressed. Your thread title said you were gonna set the thing on fire. :laugh
Well the job title of "Paperweight" has already been taken in regards to vehicles ... I already have a 2 ton POS truck in my driveway that is doing that job rather well. :werd (Guess what happened to the truck? Randomly just died and won't start :bowroll) ... so I'm trying to find something else the R6 can do, since riding is not one of them at the moment. :dunce:

Since the PCV was like 2 connectors, I'm going to unplug the PCV the next time I have any ounce of free time (Which looks like that could be another week away) and try to start the bike just running "stock". See what happens.

I've had some shit ass luck with bikes. Few years ago I bought a ZX6R 636, redid the whole bike except the internals of the motor only to find it had a weird ass motor issue that me and my buddy couldn't figure out, ended up taking it to 3 local shops who couldn't figure it out (I suspect the cam chain skipped a few teeth or something, that motor was shot!), and ended up trading it in to a 4th shop (hehe :pimp) for a brand new Z1000 which ended up having issues flooding out the engine causing misfires, and it took limping it back there twice for that issue to be resolved... then I bought this R6 a couple years ago and here we are. :mrgreen:

I've had better luck with cars, done a bunch of crazy stuff to them and haven't had any blow up... though I did forget to put a cam seal back on once when I swapped the cams and at a gas station about 6 miles away from home noticed a sweet streak of oil being left behind. :poke

I think what gets me most stressed is I was trying to get everything buttoned up before the season started so I could actually get the full season of riding in (Which would be a first after all these years) .. and then this happens, right when its starting to be riding season.

Anyways, will swap it back to stock .. I suspect the bike should run with these mods without a fuel tuner??? and if the bike still does this stupid crap...I'll have to then dig further.

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
Yeah, bike should run, but will be on the lean side with the stock map and no cat. I wouldn't go running it around a race track or anything, but it should put you in a known good state where the bike should start and run.

·
iRun
33,317 Posts

·
848!
667 Posts
I would absolutely check the fuel pump like some have suggested, I went through that with my r6, it had the almost exact same problem.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts