Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
I finish 4th
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So let me start by saying I did a search and I found similar threads but I think I have some unique issues:

I have set of optimal track fairings with a SBK tail. The four depressions on the tail for mounting points do not line up with threaded holes although they do line up with holes in the subframe. What I have done in the past is simply put a long bolt through the hole and put a nut on the back to hold it place. Here are my two problems:

1. It's a pain to undo at the of the day-I always disconnect my battery at the end of each day.

2. The hole in the tail get hallowed out and eventually become wider and wider. I obviously dont spend a lot of time sitting on the seat but the left to right movement causes the fiberglass to rub against the bolts

Does anyone have a suggestion on how else I can mount this thing? I don't want to drill addition holes in the tail. Also none of the SBK tail I have ever bought came with a additional brace or mounting aid as I have read in other threads. This means all my weight when i do sit on the tail is centered on two mounting points. My buddy suggested I use some foam pieces on the underside between the subframe and the tail. This might work but I am afraid it would negate the benefit of having this type of tail.

Once again thanks to all for your tips and tricks

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
Pictures? I've got Optimal fairings on my track bike, but it's an '05. There's no dimples or anything, you just drill holes to line up with the seat mounting bolts and that's pretty much it.

I'm sure if you post up some pics we'll be able to figure something out.

·
Storyteller
87 Posts
Why would you use long bolts? Use the 4 plastic push tabs, then the one screw that goes in the middle, top of the tail.

I have an '08 w/ Optimal fairings, and have not had any problems with the tail.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Why would you use long bolts? Use the 4 plastic push tabs, then the one screw that goes in the middle, top of the tail.

I have an '08 w/ Optimal fairings, and have not had any problems with the tail.
You have what appears to be the SS kit. OP has the SBK kit.

OP - Sounds like you are missing a bracket or need to fashion one

·
Storyteller
87 Posts
So, take the stock metal bracket and cut the wings off of it. Use two screws or I would recommend plastic push tabs, and then two more plastic push tabs where the tail meets the tank.

·
When in doubtThrottle out
5,058 Posts
So, take the stock metal bracket and cut the wings off of it. Use two screws or I would recommend plastic push tabs, and then two more plastic push tabs where the tail meets the tank.

This guy just isn't getting it :nono

You have the Supersport tail which uses the stock seat...the superbike tail is different.......

·
Storyteller
87 Posts
This guy just isn't getting it :nono

You have the Supersport tail which uses the stock seat...the superbike tail is different.......
Jesus Christ...

USE THE ****ING STOCK BRACKET! THEN USE PLASTIC PUSH PINS...

I understand he has the superbike tail... I had the same one before I switched. One the SUPERBIKE tail, there are two holes which utilize the stock metal bracket underneath... when using Optimal superbike tail.

·
I finish 4th
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lolz, ok I probably should have posted pics. Unfortunately I am already on my out of town for a track weekend. I will post pics when I'm back on Monday. There maybe something I am missing, sometimes I miss the obvious haha. KEEP CALM AND WAIT FOR PICS :)

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
pin it to win it
8,081 Posts

·
to tall for an R6....
184 Posts
Lolz, ok I probably should have posted pics. Unfortunately I am already on my out of town for a track weekend. I will post pics when I'm back on Monday. There maybe something I am missing, sometimes I miss the obvious haha. KEEP CALM AND WAIT FOR PICS :)

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
I mounted the optimal Superbike tail two weeks ago. There is no bracket like many other Superbike tails but when I spoke with the company they said the lay the seat area extra thick in order to support the rider. Im a pretty heavy dude and once you get it all mounted up it feels plenty sturdy.I also had too use extra long bolts and I don't think there is a way to get around that fact easily. Because the underside of the subframe on the front mounts is "hollow" for a lack of a better term you have to use a much longer bolt so that you can actually get it threaded on with you fingers first. The rear mounting point is much easier to access so you can use a much short bolt (which I will swapping to soon)

P.s. the reason for the super thick seat pad is I'm 6'8 and needed the extra leg room. Hope this helps

·
track rookie
75 Posts
To the OP, I had the same problem last year (think that might even be my bike someone posted in earlier thread).

I ended up not using the support brackets included with my kit and instead, I put two layers of 3/4 - 1" foam between seat and subframe, then I use 4 long bolts to hold it to subframe. Two bolts really hold it well, but I do all 4 just to be safe. It's a major PITA to remove (my battery died at Tally and I missed half a session). I've had this setup for about a year and haven't noticed any issues with the holes widening.

For disconnecting your battery, maybe there's a way to put a quick disconnect...an line switch or similar running down closer to the shock.

·
I am "that" guy...
312 Posts
put a J clip on the subframe or install a nutsert, and bolt the bitch down. Its what I did with my hot bodies superbike tail.

·
Top Gun
324 Posts
Seeing how I gotta install Optimals shortly too, I'm very eager to see the resolution to this. :popcorn:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts