Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a couple of weeks ago i asked the question are there any short riders (out) there who drag knees?

today i attended my first trackday and I dragged my knee(s). as soon as i touched down it felt so freekin sweet i just kept doing it even in corners where it wasn't really necessary. It was such a euphoric feeling. the whole new level of control with the knee down is something i never expected.

Just wanted to share this glorious day with any other short riders out there who may have thier doubts. It is so very possible. I am pretty sure i wasn't at any dangerous lean angles because i felt like i was off the bike a fair bit (no cheeks on seat).

Unfortuneately the ride day photographer was MIA for that day which was so dissappointing. i really wanted to document my first track day and especially my first time i touched down. I also wanted to have a look at my body position and lean angle to see where i could improve.

And you guys are so right. its really not a matter of having to strive for it, as it will just come. i thought due to my height and inseam i'd really have to stretch to try and reach fo the tarmac, perhaps only lightly kissing the ground from time to time.... but the first time i touched the ground was halfway through a right hander i thought to myself "that was cool is that all it takes?? (body position and a bit more speed)" and the very next corner i was draggin my left knee through a left hander. After that lap i found i could drag my knee consistanly through all the sweepers, and not just kissing but actually pushing into the ground. i cant belive how much it aids in the control through corners. its a really bizzare "sucked into the ground" feeling... everything feels so sticky and planted.

SO ADDICTED!!!!

·
Custom User Title
1,827 Posts
pilot powers?

those aren't sticky at all. they will work for your first season of trackdays, but after that i would switch up to some DOT's

·
Registered
541 Posts
Well that gives me hope after all come down! I bought full leathers and started taking corners at "My maximum" and didnt even get close to dragging knee....god these bikes are amazing. hopefully this weekend I can scratch one of my pucks. I was thinking of some PP Race for the next couple track days (I run PP now)... those good enough? (sorry, not supposed to be a thread jack.)

·
What about what?
6,755 Posts
If Frodo Pedrosa can get his knee down, there is hope for everyone...
^^ :fact

Exactly what I was going to type when I read this.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yzinger the first few sessions on the track i wasnt trying to get the knee down but then my friend followed me and told me i was very close. so all i had to do was change my body position. it was very comfortable and not strained at all. i think initally it might be scarey leaning further and further but once the knee is on the ground everything seems stable. keep at it you'll love the "oh god give me more!" feeling.

btw what leathers did you get? how is the fit?

·
Custom User Title
1,827 Posts
yzinger the first few sessions on the track i wasnt trying to get the knee down but then my friend followed me and told me i was very close. so all i had to do was change my body position. it was very comfortable and not strained at all. i think initally it might be scarey leaning further and further but once the knee is on the ground everything seems stable. keep at it you'll love the "oh god give me more!" feeling.

btw what leathers did you get? how is the fit?
you realize with excellent body position, very smooth throttle and just being smooth in general and not puting weight on the bars you still have around 8-15 degree's of lean angle left at least.

you can pretty much smash your knee against the fairing and still have a contact patch if you have good tires (dot's at least) and you're smooth.

basically, just cause your knee is sliding across the pavement doesn't mean you can't turn in harder/more.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Went to a track day and can't put a knee down. I'm just not that flexible. Whenever I get my butt off the seat my knees are still wedged up against the tank. I'd really have to make it a point to get my knee out there and probably upset my riding style just to do it so its not worth it for me. I still shredded the rear even without draggin a knee.

·
Custom User Title
1,827 Posts
shredding the rear doesn't mean your fast

it means you aren't smooth

and in 100% of the time, being smooth makes you fast

by my math you aren't fast. just wasting tires.

·
Custom User Title
1,827 Posts
Went to a track day and can't put a knee down. I'm just not that flexible. Whenever I get my butt off the seat my knees are still wedged up against the tank. I'd really have to make it a point to get my knee out there and probably upset my riding style just to do it so its not worth it for me. I still shredded the rear even without draggin a knee.
p.s. how are you that inflexible....

if you can sit down in a chair and spread your legs you can hang your knee out and onto the pavement....

·
Registered
30 Posts
p.s. how are you that inflexible....

if you can sit down in a chair and spread your legs you can hang your knee out and onto the pavement....
Easily. I'm in the army and every so often we do the groing stretch seated. Where you sit down and put your feet, heel to heel and place your elbows on your knees and spread your legs apart. I look around and everyone has their knees further apart than me.

If I'm leaned off to one side, most of my flexiblility is used up just gettin off the seat. I can't get off the seat and still spead a knee out at the same time.

I've enlosed an example.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
shredding the rear doesn't mean your fast

it means you aren't smooth

and in 100% of the time, being smooth makes you fast

by my math you aren't fast. just wasting tires.

I don't think balling up the rubber on the rear has anything to do with being smooth or not smooth.

I'm not going to say that I am the greatest after just one track weekend but at the same time, I don't think what I did to the rear tire has anything to do with being smooth or not smooth. It has more to do with being leaned over and running hard at an angle.

·
Registered
30 Posts
You can see in the picture I could have easily had a knee down if I was as flexible as the average man. But like I said, if I focused on getting a knee down, I wouldn't be focusing on what I should be focusing on. And thats taking a smooth outside, inside, outside line. Maybe one day after 3 or 4 track days, I'll be able to get a knee down even without purposely sticking a knee out.

·
Custom User Title
1,827 Posts
ok 2 things

one, do a season or two before you try to tell me what you know about tires and what being smooth is. im not the fastest by any means, but i've done a day or two more than you *wink*

2, work on your body position from the pic. hopefully you aren't going through all the corners like that. you are going to drag your pegs in no time. by getting on the inside of the bike you are able to lean the bike LESS and get on the gas sooner and harder b/c you have a larger contact patch. if you sit on the top of the bike and have your upper body (where most of your weight is) over the center of the bike, its not helping anything. in fact, you will eventually not be able to get faster if you keep that BP. you'll hit a ceiling of speed per say and wont' get your lap times down with that style of body position. or you will drag your pegs, relieve the tire of all the downforce it can get, lighten the tire and lose your contact patch and go down.

·
Custom User Title
1,827 Posts
You can see in the picture I could have easily had a knee down if I was as flexible as the average man. But like I said, if I focused on getting a knee down, I wouldn't be focusing on what I should be focusing on. And thats taking a smooth outside, inside, outside line. Maybe one day after 3 or 4 track days, I'll be able to get a knee down even without purposely sticking a knee out.

don't get me wrong, its not a bad thing to NOT get your knee down, but with better body position you can do it quite easly. eventually you won't even bother, even though you are an a very large lean angle.

a buddy of mine (a very very very very fast buddy of mine) didn't even tag his knee til his 4th year of riding at the track in the A group.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts